"How will you be paying for med school" Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedACar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an interview coming up where (according to current students) they WILL ask students [esp internationals] how they intend to pay for med school.

I'm in a bit of a unique situation, and I need some help phrasing it so that I won't ruin the tone of the interview.

Essentially, I'm going to be paying for medical school via a life insurance pay-out when my dad passed away.

It happened a long time ago, I'm completely fine bringing it up in the interview, but I don't want the tone to go from :) --> :unsure: , which usually happens when this topic gets brought up.

So what should I say? I don't want to say "I have a trust fund" because that (a) isn't really true, and (b) makes me sound like I come from a very well off family, which I don't. But I also don't want to make my interviewer uncomfortable.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, I was not asked that question in any interview. But if you just tell the truth you can't go wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't why an interviewer would ask that. The most common answer will be "Loans".

A different school the one in the OP, has sent an email (pre II) saying "you have to have the full tuition amount in an escrow account", so I believe that we need to be capable of having the amount in full

For what it's worth, I was not asked that question in any interview. But if you just tell the truth you can't go wrong.

Yeah, I think that might be the best choice :) Hopefully it won't shift the mood at all. I want to keep it light

One school has sent an email (pre II) saying "you have to have the full tuition amount in an escrow account", so I believe that we need to be capable of having the amount in full
My experience is that even for the extremely wealthy it's rare for anyone to pay it with any method other than loans, barring scholarships and whatnot. I don't think that email means that it will come up in an interview. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
"I am fortunate that my dad provided for my educational expenses by leaving me a small nest egg." The fact that your dad died is so deep in the sentence and only implied by the phrase "by leaving" that it won't be a downer. The focus will be on "my dad provide" and "a small nest egg" Also, saying that it is small doesn't make it sound like you come from money.

Reactions: 17 users
"I am fortunate that my dad provided for my educational expenses by leaving me a small nest egg." The fact that your dad died is so deep in the sentence and only implied by the phrase "by leaving" that it won't be a downer. The focus will be on "my dad provide" and "a small nest egg" Also, saying that it is small doesn't make it sound like you come from money.

I can't tell you how much I love this wording! Thank you! This is absolutely perfect :)

Reactions: 1 users
so wise

I was asked that question at more than half of my interviews. They expect most students to be taking out loans, so that's exactly how I answered the question.

In your situation, simply saying, "my father made sure my education would be secured" (while going into a little more depth) will suffice. I can promise you that that question will not be a hot topic during committee meetings, UNLESS your interviewer thought you were lying through your teeth (which if you're honest you won't be). Be honest and be yourself, simple as that.