How will you make your decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topherius

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as a general discussion topic...for those of you interviewing at multiple schools, a hypothetical: assuming you got into all (or at least more than one) of those schools, what factors are you going to take into account to decide where to go? (And for those who are already in med school, how did you make your decision?)

During my first couple of interviews, I was really excited and noted all the differences between the schools really closely. I definitely got better vibes off some than others. But now I've had quite a few interviews and they're all starting to run together in my mind. I find myself thinking, "oh, this hospital looks basically like all the other ones I've been in," and "well, these students seem just as cool as ones at other schools," and "well, the board and match stats here are just as good as other places."

So...what do you guys think? What factors will play into your decision? How important is your gut reaction? And what if your gut reaction is the same (i.e. good) for several schools? What then?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, the criteria are prioritized as follows:

1) Gut feeling - will I fit in? will I be happy here? do I see myself at this school for four years?

2) Cost

I second ATPase -- where you feel like you "fit" is really important.

As for cost, it's certainly a consideration, but you're going to have massive debt wherever you go, unless you are very, very lucky. I think that cost should be a distant second (or third) in the consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses. I agree that vibe is the most important thing. I guess I really intended my question to be more focused on situations in which you've gotten an equally good vibe from more than one school. You go to one and think "I could definitely be happy here," then go to another one and think the same thing.
Now I realize I didn't make that stipulation very clear.

I agree that in general, cost is irrelevant - but I think it is something to take into account if you're comparing your state school to a private school, if you're considering choosing a low-paying specialty, and/or if there are scholarships or institution-specific financial aid to consider. That said, I still would be willing to take on more debt by choosing a private school if I feel like I fit better there and really want to attend the school.

I chose NYC of another smaller city, because that it the atmosphere that I want to be in for the next 4 years.

topherius, just read your above post...I'm not sure how I'll address this when the time comes (I have only one acceptance right now!) but I just interviewed at Georgetown and LOVED it, so I hope I get in there and actually have a decision to make!

Originally posted by ATPase
I just interviewed at Georgetown and LOVED it, so I hope I get in there and actually have a decision to make!

Dude, what's so great about Georgetown? I got their secondary, and it said that nearly half of the people who select them on AMCAS don't send in the secondary. After hearing about their whole Jesuit approach, and their whole demanding recent credit reports thing, I decided to vote with my checkbook and not apply. I am definitely hoping to get in GW, though.

If I had to sum up Georgetown Med in one word...I think it'd be "random." I mean who decided that a Jesuit medical school for people with good credit ratings is a good idea?! It's so odd, b/c their undergrad and law school are so (comparatively) normal.

1. the vibe i get from the students/school/admin

2. cost

3. location...if it is rural is at least reasonably close to places i can let loose at? and close to family and friends.

4. good residency matches.

5. and yes im a guy so girls ;)

My rubrick for picking a school

1a) Reputation (not ranking) - graduate residency placement - very important since I probably wont be in Cali for med school, I want to get a Cali residency, in a Cali city I like, practicing what I want.

1b) Student/administration - You're going to be around these guys for 4 years, you better be happy with them. There are several schools I have no intention of applying to or completing because of the very bad vibes I got there.

2)Location - Related to 1b in some ways. I really want to be in Cali. Outside of CA, location doesn't matter as much. Metro area over rural. For example, I may choose GW (if they pull me off waitlist) over OSU because of 1b and 2, even though OSU is much better in terms of 1a and 3.

3) Cost - I have debts from two grad programs. No matter what people say about money not mattering, it certainly matters at this point to me.

4) Facilities - have any of you guys seen the Wake Forest gross lab? I'd totally go there simply because of the awesome facilities. IF you guys have seen schools with crappy facilities, you know why its a big turn off. Facilities matter, esp if you're stuck there for four year.

5) Size of school - I want to go to a school with a small class. (why does OSU have to be so friggin big?!)

I think ATPase's first response was right on the money. After all the nit-picking of going to a gazillion interviews, (okay, only 8), I really felt like everything started looking the same....or at least not so different that the differences would actually make a difference. (pardon the redundant "different" derivatives...) At any rate, I will be going with 1) my gut reaction - which school do I get SOOOOO excited about when I think about attending, and then 2)cost. :) Good luck to all!

So I have a question along these lines. I was accepted to AZCOM, an osteopathic school, and absolutely fell in love with the place. I also interviewed at my state school U of Washington, but I didn't get that feeling. Here's the kicker AZCOM has good oppurtunities, but UW has fantastic opps and 50% of the tuition. I really like the osteopathic philosophy and would really love to go there. but there are so many other things to consider, how do you weigh them out. I am going into primary care so 90K vs. 200K is a fairly substantial sum of money. I don't want anyone to tell me which school to go to, but any thoughts and opinions on how to work this out would be nice. Good Luck to everyone.

1. reputation (research, residency)

2. cost

3. location (south, west coast preferred)

4. affiliated hospitals/school facilities

5. curricula

Members don't see this ad :)
A) Reputation

B) Location (Prefer urban areas)

C) Cost (not just of school but of living in the area also)

D) i) Curricula
ii) Fellow students (fitting in)

I have been accepted to schools that have great reputations so it is coming down to the rest. It is still a pretty tough decision. With 6 acceptances, i am still leaning towards UChicago.

1. Reputation and "Fit": refers to cohesiveness/friendliness/camaraderie of student body as well as nature of facilities...i don't want to be in a place where i'll be super super stressed all 4 years, but i do want to work hard in a place where i can really get a good education. it helps if residency directors regard the school highly as well, but i know i'll work hard wherever i go, and in the end it's innate, personal abilities that will serve just as important a role as the school name imo :)

2. Cost. I know it's easy to say "in the long run it doesn't matter" but I have too many doctor friends/mentors who tell me it DOES matter....regardless of the reputation of the school you attend you'll still be a resident making at most $50-55K/year. facing a $50k debtload vs. a $250k debtload is going to ease at least some of the stress of residency. as someone who made the cost over prestige decision for attending undergrad (went to a lesser-known school on a full scholarship, don't regret it one bit and am so thankful for the lack of debt burden i currently have) i am hoping to be lucky enough to avoid massive debt in the med school route.

3. Curriculum. I'd like early patient contact and emphasis on clinical skills...good facilities and an offering of a broad range of clinical experiences is also a plus. Unique opportunities - the ability to do rotations elsewhere, do nontrad or basic science research, integrated curriculum tracks, dual degrees, electives, etc. etc. are also things that attract me.

Oh my, I just hope I have to make that choice!!;)

The way I'd probably make the decision (if I were so lucky to be in that position) would be to talk to senior residents or attendings or fellows - and get their perspective. Hindsight is 20/20

cheers
Kender

Originally posted by topherius
During my first couple of interviews, I was really excited and noted all the differences between the schools really closely. I definitely got better vibes off some than others. But now I've had quite a few interviews and they're all starting to run together in my mind.

I know exactly what you mean. I first fell in love with Michigan when I saw that they have a foosball table in their student lounge. But every other school I've visited also has a foosball table (some even have pool and ping pong, too!). Now I don't know how to differentiate.

I got way more cool goodies at WashU (digital clock!) and they easily had the best interview day lunch ever. So that's something to consider.

But, it's also important to enjoy your classmates, and I saw that Superman, Batman, Robin, and other super heroes go to Northwestern, so that would be fun. (it was Halloween when I interviewed)

Then there is football. I haven't interviewed at OU yet, but they obviously have the best football team in the country. Michigan has a good team as well. Football is the main reason that I would have a difficult time choosing UTSW, seeing as how the University of Texas...sucks at football.

I didn't like the schools that made me wear a nametag necklace. It totally ruined the coolness of my suit. Arg. So that eliminates UTSW, WashU, and Northwestern.

Okay, all joking aside, I'm choosing based on "vibe" (which includes friendliness of admissions staff and interviewer), location, curriculum, cost, residency opportunities, and student happiness.

Speaking of which, I was really impressed that wake forest gave us a free for all at the food court. mmmm best meal ever! they get points for that.

Yeah, I'm currently pre-emptively worrying about the potential decision.

I really really like Wake and UNC was...well...okay.

So I've gotten into Wake, and I currently can't tell if I'd be excited about getting into UNC because if I did I would feel obligated to go there because its sooo much cheaper. But I got a much better "vibe" from Wake. But is a "vibe" worth the extra $100,000 worth of debt?

Sigh, I wish I wasn't such a worrywart.:rolleyes:

I had posted this long reponse to sooner's reply, then got timed out and lost it. Funny how that takes the wind out of your sails.

First of all, sooner, as I am Batman, I can assure you that I don't attend Northwestern. Rather, I spend most of my time fighting evil throughout Gotham city. The rest of it is spent squeezing into my tights. I just went to that party because I heard the Flash would be doing a kegstand. He wussed out, though.

Second--okay, back to seriousness. I don't know if sooner was making fun of the whole thread or just being wacky for humor's sake--which I completely appreciate--but if it's the former, I would say that I think there is actually some merit to this question. I know I'm a little biased (since I'm the OP), but I really do think that it can be pretty easy for people to have two schools that tie in their minds...or come out even when you consider the various costs and benefits (see twinklz above).

As I said before, I got a great vibe from the first school I visited, but it's been two months. Now that feeling has faded...you know how when you think about an old girlfriend/boyfriend and you remember that you were in love with him/her but you can't conjure up the feeling anymore because there have been so many others in between? Sort of like that. I've gotten good vibes from other schools. Has anyone else had that problem?

Sooner did bring up a good idea, though: a new thread for completely arbitrary criteria for deciding on schools. I intend to pick mine based solely on my interviewers' socks. Argyle: good. Broad, vivid stripes: better.

socks??

argyle??

vivid stripes??

i just know the socks i wear are white with the blue thingies on em.

call me uneducated but i think i know more about argon than argyle(which i am assuming is a fabric?)

vivid stripes...a pattern yes??

i need some sock education...will this make me an uncompetitive student in the application process???:confused:

:laugh:

MDMiracle, I just reread your original post and I have a question. Are you saying you interviewed at UW, the allopathic med school that is the state school for WA, Alaska, WY, MT, and ID? And you're trying to decide between there and AZCOM? Just wanted to know for clarification...