How worried should I be about no CAP fellowship interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bearrie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied broadly to fellowship programs in the northeast and received only 1 invites from probably the least competitive and only community program. No news from others but application complete since 1 week into ERAS. What programs have started to extend interview invitations?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied broadly to fellowship programs in the northeast and received only 1 invites from probably the least competitive and only community program. No news from others but application complete since 1 week into ERAS. What programs have started to extend interview invitations?

Thanks so much!

If you are concerned, just call the program coordinator and ask for any updates. I am only saying this because I did this and realized my CAP Eligibility form was missing.

Last edited:
Program directors are getting past launching a new class of trainees, but they have ADS surveys and annual program reports due this month and I wouldn't be surprised if they are a little slow to jump on applications for a January match. No news is still good news. If you had a flood of rejections you could worry, but hearing nothing isn't a big deal yet.

The child fellowship field is fairly applicant friendly. If you are very worried, look for a new program in your area and add one more that is a new start up. There will be more spots than applicants if this year is like all previous years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The application date was even earlier than past years. And as MDT indicated, runs right into a LOT of other things going on.

Thank you! Where have people gotten invites so far?

For example, my program is working on sending out invites shortly but its definitely sooner than they have done in years past. I am sure other programs are feeling a similar urgency to get invites out so definitely don't worry about it for August.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard from Brown, MGH, Northwell, Monte, Michigan, Sinai and Yale. Waiting on NYP (Columbia-Cornell) and NYU. Has anyone heard from NYP or NYU? Also, is Yale 2 days for everyone?

Also--I have vacation in Nov and have been chosing a lot of late interview dates. Does this matter (ie chosing the last date?). I assume they meet finally to make a ROL in Dec or early Jan but do they have a "working ROL?" from first interview day? Does it put me at a disadvantage to interview late or during last day? Any insight much appreciated!

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think it matters. We have matched the last person to come through and we have matched the first. No one would line up an interview schedule and then not make the effort to process someone into a ROL. What does matter is your interview fatigue.

I've heard from Brown, MGH, Northwell, Monte, Michigan, Sinai and Yale. Waiting on NYP (Columbia-Cornell) and NYU. Has anyone heard from NYP or NYU? Also, is Yale 2 days for everyone?

Yes, Yale offered me a two day interview...didn't bother with NYC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think it matters. We have matched the last person to come through and we have matched the first. No one would line up an interview schedule and then not make the effort to process someone into a ROL. What does matter is your interview fatigue.

Thank you! Any other thoughts? All things equal how important is it to chose the Sept interview over the Nov interview?

You are overthinking this. Just fit it into your life as is the most painless. There isn't enough difference to let it dictate your plans.

You are overthinking this. Just fit it into your life as is the most painless. There isn't enough difference to let it dictate your plans.
Sorry for perseverating--all things equal you would chose the earlier date though? Or some advantage to going last so "fresh" in minds?

lol ok i'll take the middle path =p

Basic memory research suggests very close to the first or near the last but thankfully this interview process is nothing like remembering random objects and you'll be fine with any date. As a point for comparison we just started sending our first wave of invites out and this is the soonest we have ever done it, or so I am told.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay so now I have a ton of interviews and have opposite worry--do they just invite everyone? some people have messaged me privately and really nothing special about me. Does anyone have a sense of how many people apply to "good" programs (UCSF, NYU, Yale, etc) every year and how many are offered interviews? I'm sure this varies a lot but of those interviewed, how many are usually ranked?

Okay so now I have a ton of interviews and have opposite worry
The only correct answer to every question you've asked in this thread is the same -- stop asking questions, stop thinking of questions, and stop thinking of thinking. Everything will be as fine as it can be unless you continue to allow yourself to let your worries feel legitimate.

I doubt you'll trust me, but someday you may look back and understand what I was talking about.

Order matters way less than it does in residency (which is also not as high as most people think). CAP fellowships are small, interview pools are small. We'll remember everyone no problem.

Serial position effects: If you leave a good impression, then you want to be the last person because they will remember what a great candidate you were. If you totally screw up, then being the last person ensures that they will remember that you were that guy or gal who did _____. If you were the first and you screw up, they will remember you, but they might have forgotten why unless it was really a noteworthy event. Also, many of the people interviewing you should be familiar with the research that indicates that interview evaluations ar not predictive of anything so they will base their decisions more on your stats than the fact that you forgot to zip up your fly. :p