How would a medical school view this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TamarMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My best friend started off college at a four year college. She didn't do well her first year. She failed one of her pre-reqs and received a C in the other. She was also unhappy because she didn't know anyone at that college, so she transferred. However she transferred to a 2 year college. She says it's not a Community College, it's a "technology" college. Still when she graduates from there she'll graduate with an Associates in Biology. I told her that medical schools tend not to like a student taking all of their pre-reqs at 2 year schools. Yet she insists on not only taking all the pre-reqs there but also the majority of the classes that she would need for a biology major. Just to give insight on what she's planning to take there, she's taking her orgo, physics, microbiology, a&p and genetics at that institution. Granted she's doing better there but how will medical schools view this? Would it be a disadvantage since she not only completed her pre-reqs and upper div courses there but she also "transferred down"?

Members don't see this ad.

My best friend started off college at a four year college. She didn't do well her first year. She failed one of her pre-reqs and received a C in the other. She was also unhappy because she didn't know anyone at that college, so she transferred. However she transferred to a 2 year college. She says it's not a Community College, it's a "technology" college. Still when she graduates from there she'll graduate with an Associates in Biology. I told her that medical schools tend not to like a student taking all of their pre-reqs at 2 year schools. Yet she insists on not only taking all the pre-reqs there but also the majority of the classes that she would need for a biology major. Just to give insight on what she's planning to take there, she's taking her orgo, physics, microbiology, a&p and genetics at that institution. Granted she's doing better there but how will medical schools view this? Would it be a disadvantage since she not only completed her pre-reqs and upper div courses there but she also "transferred down"?

Time will tell. She will need to tranfer (again) to a 4 year school to finish her degree. So, she'll need to take some upper level courses and do well. If she can't manage that, and if she can't do as well on the MCAT as students from her first institution, then she's going to be a less desirable candidate than those that stuck it out & did all 4 years at the first school.

Time will tell. She will need to tranfer (again) to a 4 year school to finish her degree. So, she'll need to take some upper level courses and do well. If she can't manage that, and if she can't do as well on the MCAT as students from her first institution, then she's going to be a less desirable candidate than those that stuck it out & did all 4 years at the first school.

Listen to the fruitcake lady.