How would being American benefit me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick90210

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was born in the US and am considering applying next cycle. I currently live in Canada (not a state resident). With a cDAT would I have any advantages? Such as schools that prefer Americans students etc?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I was born in the US and am considering applying next cycle. I currently live in Canada (not a state resident). With a cDAT would I have any advantages? Such as schools that prefer Americans students etc?

Thanks!!!

so are u a us citizen? being a us citizen and resident would benefit u cuz um... maybe u won't be an international applicant? but i say... out of state vs instate is easier to deal with than international vs citizen.

Hey guys,

Thanks!!!

Unless you're an URM, probably will not benefit much (excluding the internation hassle, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Thanks!!!

Lol please define American. The only real Americans are probably the Native Americans. The rest of us are all immigrants. However, even the Native immigrated here from Asian I think during the Ice age. Sooooo yeaaaa.

Before you call me an idiot. I understand the question. And the answer is no, being a minority may help, but being "American" certainly doesn't.

Lol please define American. The only real Americans are probably the Native Americans. The rest of us are all immigrants. However, even the Native immigrated here from Asian I think during the Ice age. Sooooo yeaaaa.

Before you call me an idiot. I understand the question. And the answer is no, being a minority may help, but being "American" certainly doesn't.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=563953

That sucks.
I always thought some schools prefer and American citizen over an international applicant!!! :(
Life sucks

Ok what if I write the American DAT and get my US Citizenship. Wouldn't I practically be the same as any Out of state applicant? Or would the fact my university is Canadian still make me international?

Actually, based on your answer, you don't understand the question. He is asking of being a US citizen will help his chances over being a Canadian citizen (or citizen of another ountry other than the US.) If you understood the question, then you should have replied - Yes. Being a US citizen when applying to US dental schools will help your chances over being an international student. Now, does that mean that a US citizen with low scores will get in over a Canadian citizen? No. But, if you were to put a US citizen next to an international citizen with exact scores, most likely the US citizen will get in. It is the same comparable concept as one state accepting in-state applicants at a higher ratio than out-of-state applicants.