How would it look if I applied to dermatology after completion of a transitional year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnybanana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, hope it's okay if I post this question here. So, I'm a current PGY-1 at a transitional year without an advanced position. Long story short, I applied to another advanced specialty (not derm) last year, failed to match, but ranked my transitional year interviews through ERAS, and I matched at my current program. I felt that I would rather start working and earning a salary/clinical experience than to delay graduation for a research year. Moreover, I still wasn't sure what else I wanted to do.

During this transitional year, I've really enjoyed dermatology. So much that I've thought about looking for a research year to complete after this internship, then to apply to dermatology programs as a PGY-2 the following cycle. My Steps are in the low 240s, very average M3 grades. How would it appear to dermatology programs if I applied after completion of both an internship and dermatology research year? Would I have a shot, or would being a graduate entering the match put me at a disadvantage? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, hope it's okay if I post this question here. So, I'm a current PGY-1 at a transitional year without an advanced position. Long story short, I applied to another advanced specialty (not derm) last year, failed to match, but ranked my transitional year interviews through ERAS, and I matched at my current program. I felt that I would rather start working and earning a salary/clinical experience than to delay graduation for a research year. Moreover, I still wasn't sure what else I wanted to do.

During this transitional year, I've really enjoyed dermatology. So much that I've thought about looking for a research year to complete after this internship, then to apply to dermatology programs as a PGY-2 the following cycle. My Steps are in the low 240s, very average M3 grades. How would it appear to dermatology programs if I applied after completion of both an internship and dermatology research year? Would I have a shot, or would being a graduate entering the match put me at a disadvantage? Thanks!

You would have a shot

Being a graduate entering the match puts you at a disadvantage. I think your Step 1 scores and your grades probably place you at more of a disadvantage

That being said, if you like derm and you have a productive research year, you certainly have a shot to match.

Would it be worthwhile to pursue something else where you'd have a better chance of matching? That's a personal question you would have to ask and answer yourself.