How would medical school admissions look at someone with 6 years in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Microbeboy987

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating next semester with a BA in biology and honors in math and science. But thats it, after being in school for 6 years. When I started college, I was an accounting major for 2 years and tried to tough it out but found out I really hated looking at excel and balance sheets. I was sort of pressured to do it by my family because it would be a guaranteed job path. Then I decided to switch to psychology. After a year of that I changed to a biology major because the neuro aspects of psych were really cool and new and then gradually through my courses I got interested in to research and medicine. Money wasn't a problem because I was lucky enough to get a substantial amount in scholarships and then a stipend to do some research.

Does this long and unorganized college career reflected badly on my part? Like a lack of commitment or interest in medicine because I didn't do it from the start? The premed advisor at my school made me feel like it did. She mentioned that because I didn't seek out the office advisement in my second year that I don't meet the requirements for a committee letter. My grades for all my classes and premed requirements were all fine IMO with my science GPA of 3.65 and cum GPA of 3.8. I've also done some summer research internships at a pharmaceutical company and I'm starting my volunteering at a local NYC hospital so I'm a lot more invested into this. I also plan to put my time and sweat in to continuous hospital and community service for the next year while I hopefully find a job to help pay for applications.

Just wondering if me wasting time trying to find my path will prevent me from actually going down it.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and Happy Thanksgiving!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I spent a little more than 6 years at my undergraduate institution as I was also trying to find my way early on. Despite this long journey, I have been accepted to a couple of MD schools this cycle. I have a slightly higher sGPA than you, but you have a higher cGPA than me, so it's basically a wash. Make sure you study, study, study for the MCAT!

I was not concerned about taking so long to figure things out, because once I did arrive at the decision to become a physician, I pursued it with full force, and more importantly, for the right reasons. The main point is that you have a story to tell about your journey into medicine, so tell it. The length of the journey varies for everyone. As long as you can effectively articulate how/why you finally decided on medicine, while also backing up your decision with meaningful experiences that demonstrate your intentions, you will be fine. The 6 (or more) years won't matter; it certainly didn't for me.

I hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving and good luck!

I'm graduating next semester with a BA in biology and honors in math and science. But thats it, after being in school for 6 years. When I started college, I was an accounting major for 2 years and tried to tough it out but found out I really hated looking at excel and balance sheets. I was sort of pressured to do it by my family because it would be a guaranteed job path. Then I decided to switch to psychology. After a year of that I changed to a biology major because the neuro aspects of psych were really cool and new and then gradually through my courses I got interested in to research and medicine. Money wasn't a problem because I was lucky enough to get a substantial amount in scholarships and then a stipend to do some research.

Does this long and unorganized college career reflected badly on my part? Like a lack of commitment or interest in medicine because I didn't do it from the start? The premed advisor at my school made me feel like it did. She mentioned that because I didn't seek out the office advisement in my second year that I don't meet the requirements for a committee letter. My grades for all my classes and premed requirements were all fine IMO with my science GPA of 3.65 and cum GPA of 3.8. I've also done some summer research internships at a pharmaceutical company and I'm starting my volunteering at a local NYC hospital so I'm a lot more invested into this. I also plan to put my time and sweat in to continuous hospital and community service for the next year while I hopefully find a job to help pay for applications.

Just wondering if me wasting time trying to find my path will prevent me from actually going down it.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and Happy Thanksgiving!

It is a pre-med delusion that med schools want you to go through college in four years flat and be a pre-med right from the start.

Many people have twists and turns in thier academic careers. The only thing we want is that you have done well.

And most pre-med advisers are *****s.

Reactions: 6 users