How would this major look for MD/PhD or PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schrizto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of majoring in History and Philosophy of Science, which is a humanities major, but also very science-oriented as well. The reason I might possibly stray from the typical biology major is because the HPS major appeals to me with the amount of freedom it has in the classes I can take, and because I am interested in philosophy but am not hardcore enough to be a full philosophy major. After a few required philosophy/HPS classes, the major requirements are to take a bunch of science courses of your choice (15 credits' worth). I can skip over classes that I'm not very interested in taking that are required in a biology major this way, such as Ecology and the class labs that are beyond the medical school pre-reqs. I'd otherwise be taking a lot of biology courses just like a biology major.

I'm wondering how this would look if I end up applying to MD/PhD or PhD programs, or anything involving research after college. Some research assistant positions, I've noticed, state that they're looking for someone with a BS degree, and a major in HPS would yield a BA degree.

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking of majoring in History and Philosophy of Science, which is a humanities major, but also very science-oriented as well. The reason I might possibly stray from the typical biology major is because the HPS major appeals to me with the amount of freedom it has in the classes I can take, and because I am interested in philosophy but am not hardcore enough to be a full philosophy major. After a few required philosophy/HPS classes, the major requirements are to take a bunch of science courses of your choice (15 credits' worth). I can skip over classes that I'm not very interested in taking that are required in a biology major this way, such as Ecology and the class labs that are beyond the medical school pre-reqs. I'd otherwise be taking a lot of biology courses just like a biology major.

I'm wondering how this would look if I end up applying to MD/PhD or PhD programs, or anything involving research after college. Some research assistant positions, I've noticed, state that they're looking for someone with a BS degree, and a major in HPS would yield a BA degree.

It would not be the traditional MD/PhD thing to do-- most are hardcore science 24/7. That being said, if you can take as many high-level science courses as other applicants + do a signifiicant amount of research as an undergrad, it will not matter exactly what you major in. If, however, your number of science classes is just the minimum to get into medical school that could be a red flag. So do what is most interesting to you, but be wary.

I majored in history and music. In addition to the regular pre-med courses, I also took biochem and microbio. My degree didn't seem to matter, although I was rejected from a few tech jobs before school because I didn't have a science "background." Just do well in whatever you pick.

-X

Members don't see this ad :)
I second what Xanthines said. I graduated with a BA and I don't think that ever mattered. I don't think major choice matters much for your future.

If you want MD/PhD, these are the things that really DO matter:
GPA close to 4.0 as possible
Get involved in research early and often (start Freshman year is best)

I'd also add do well on the MCAT. At least a 30 and preferably above 35. You at least need to convince them you can get into med school.