Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How would you answer this question? It's bothering me.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by WhyNOT111, Dec 25, 2008.

1. WhyNOT111

WhyNOT111 USC Dentistry 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you're interviewing at a place where they offer PhD/DDS degree and they ask you why are you NOT interested in the PhD/DDS, what woudl you say?

You can't say It's lots of research blah blah, because chances are somewehre in your app you wrote alot of research...

Can't say the time is too long (7 years)...

What would you say?

Just wondering...

Is there a right answer to this question?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    That shouldn't be too much of a brain buster. Just simply say that from your own personal experiences you know that you are best suited to treating patients in a clinical setting. You've experienced _________ in dentistry and know that you have a very empathetic and caring personality. While you enjoy doing research, you've realized that a life centered around the healthcare needs of people, rather than academia, is whats best for you.

4. Streetwolf

Streetwolf Ultra Senior Member
    Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I would flat out say I'm not interested in research enough to pursue the PhD. It IS a lot of extra work and you would have to make a commitment to it. It shows that you've thought it through and know that it isn't right for you. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to go for it.

As for me, my research page was 100% blank. But even if you have pages and pages of work you've done during college, you can say that you are just not interested in that path. If you want to do research can't you still do it without the PhD? And if you don't want to continue doing research, just say that.

5. MRSMUFFEN

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ita:)

6. IDoWhatIWant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    just say it's not for you. this one isn't difficult.

7. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Are you asking this because your personal statement was mainly about your research experience and how it helped you decide to go into dentistry, etc. and perhaps you even mentioned that you wanted to go into dental research? If so, I can't figure out a good answer to that question...

8. Imbetterthanyou

Imbetterthanyou Seriously, I am!
    2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Just be honest. Tell them getting a DDS/PhD is a waste of time. The only reason you'd consider it is for the free tuition, and you're not sure if you want to invest an extra 3 years of school just for free school. It's not like you're gonna do research after dental school, anyway.