How would you describe working in an ER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFMed2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I was wondering how you would describe your experiences working in an ER and what kinds of things happen while your working.

Members don't see this ad.

Highly depends on where you work.

There's a wide range of jobs available ranging from sleepy small town ERs to chaotic inner city ERs.

In many ways that's one of the beauties of doing emergency medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, guys! I was wondering how you would describe your experiences working in an ER and what kinds of things happen while your working.
This is a VERY broad question that's difficult to answer straight away. It would be helpful to ask more specific quesitons.

Reactions: 1 users
One time in the ER, I saw a man attempt to pee on the floor from bed whilst in a supine position, holding his junk at just such an angle so as to allow the urine to clear the side rail.

Reactions: 10 users
One time in the ER I saw a legless acutely intoxicated crackhead under arrest run across the ER on his nubs trying to make it to freedom, only to be tazed twice right in front of me before being brought back to seclusion.

Reactions: 7 users
One time in the ER, I saw a man attempt to pee on the floor from bed whilst in a supine position, holding his junk at just such an angle so as to allow the urine to clear the side rail.
"Attempt"? Did you run over and plug it??

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAZfAAAAJDIwNDdlMWZiLTJkNjMtNDRlNi05YjA0LTIxZDBhYzA3NGIxOA.jpg

1-goat-rodeo.jpg

CHyPrzXa.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
One time in the ER a guy managed to get his lighter security missed out of his pocket while in restraints, and try to burn through his restraints. He managed to light his clothing, and the curtains, on fire, causing the evacuation of a pod. I believe he also used the opportunity to escape.....

A patient pulled the fire alarm because he wasn't getting pain meds fast enough.

Fastest discharge ever.

One time in the ER a guy managed to get his lighter security missed out of his pocket while in restraints, and try to burn through his restraints. He managed to light his clothing, and the curtains, on fire, causing the evacuation of a pod. I believe he also used the opportunity to escape.....

Do we work at the same ER? Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
You ever had to explain to a guy having a heart attack in one room that the noise they are hearing from one room over is just a crack head taking a crap on the floor while shouting obscenities at you?

One time in the ER my patient called 911 because she wasn't getting the narcotics she wanted. She then pooped on the floor.

I can almost guarantee someone's polite old grandma was dying in the room next door.

Everyone has a good story of three. I have an almost identical fire story, in fact.

But much of the time, any of the following adjectives fit the bill:
-stressful
-frustrating
-boring
-aggravating
-repetitive

Less of the time:
-exciting
-shocking
-enjoyable

Things that happen while I'm at work on most shifts:
-patients complain despite our best efforts
-patients yell at me for not enabling and supporting an addiction that another health care provider may have spawned
-my performance numbers and patient satisfaction suffers because other team members are updating Facebook and surfing pinterest
-residents complaining about seeing the consults we call them for, only to try and backtrack and realize what actually seeing a patient can do for them
-good/nice people getting their first cancer diagnosis from me
-various smells: urine, stool, and usually at least one stomach acid/alcohol mixture

Things that happen while I'm at work on many fewer shifts:
-crazy pathology
-exciting resuscitations
-rewarding conversations with responsible patients

Reactions: 2 users
I had a psych patient who stripped her clothes off and was lying on the floor in her menstrual blood.

One time in the ER my patient called 911 because she wasn't getting the narcotics she wanted. She then pooped on the floor.

I can almost guarantee someone's polite old grandma was dying in the room next door.

I have seen a patient poop on the phone and then pee on it because "it was taking too long."

"This place is a traveling circus that never moves"

The ER is like Zombies in Call of Duty: Black Ops (the original since I haven't played any of the others). The zombies (patients) just keep coming in from every side... And sometimes the dogs attack (code comes through the door...)

Except none of this is fun like Black Ops.

Reactions: 1 users
The ER is like Zombies in Call of Duty: Black Ops (the original since I haven't played any of the others). The zombies (patients) just keep coming in from every side... And sometimes the dogs attack (code comes through the door...)

Except none of this is fun like Black Ops.

And 1 out of every 1,000 zombies, though it looks exactly like all the other zombies, is actually not a zombie and if you shoot it, the zombies get to keep your playstation.

Reactions: 3 users
Mos Eisley Spaceport.

Mos Eisley Spaceport.

No joke; as a senior resident, I pulled up the Mos Eisley scene on YouTube and played it for my fav. attending while giving commentary on how it was identical to our ER. I wish I could remember half of my jokes.

No joke; as a senior resident, I pulled up the Mos Eisley scene on YouTube and played it for my fav. attending while giving commentary on how it was identical to our ER. I wish I could remember half of my jokes.
Maybe the music from the cantina scene should be mandatory background music in every ER.

Just imagine doing all your work with that song playing in the background. Makes me want to smile.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users

Playing with jenga blocks 8 times bigger than normal that are on fire

Maybe the music from the cantina scene should be mandatory background music in every ER.

Just imagine doing all your work with that song playing in the background. Makes me want to smile.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile
Tempo is about right for chest compressions....

Just sayin...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

[/QUOTE]
I don't work in an ER but that's how I imagine working there... :)

As I walk into a shift, I have it in my head, and I think it actually brightened my mood ha. Also... I liked the 'one time in the ED...' thing that was going