Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

How would you describe your social class?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Schaden Freud, Mar 9, 2007.

?

Where do you place yourself?

1. Upper Class

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. Upper Middle

33 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. Middle

28 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. Lower Middle/"Working"

17 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Underclass/Poor

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. While there are classes in the US, I do not consider myself part of any particular one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. There are no social classes in the US.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What factors do you consider in your perception of social standing? Family wealth? Family legacy? Personal wealth? Community involvement (eg: volunteer work)? Profession? Education? Interests? Belonging to a church? Belonging to a club?

2. odrade1

odrade1 UASOM alum
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Social status is conferred by a number of the things you mentioned. Money is a big part of it, but so is what you do for a living. Family history/legacy matters in some contexts but less in others. Access to power is another (and money often can buy you a high degree of that). Manners, bearing, attractiveness and dress also affect how people treat you. Society life is a complex thing.

One of the funniest things I ever overheard as a waiter was a snippet of conversation between some random guy (who thought he was a member of the upper class) and E.B. Stephens, Jr. (One of the true elites of my home city). First guy: "So Elton, what do you do for a living?" Mr Stephens: (looking incredulouly at the other dude) "I'm Elton B. Stephens." If you are really elite, you can get away with saying stuff like that.

Brilliant, funny, true, and disgusting all at the same time. :laugh:

3. glp

glp Vegas Baby Vegas
    5+ Year Member