How would you guys rank these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystalgreen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a few questions about the programs below, any feedback is very much appreciated!

1) How will you rand these programs and why?
-Kaiser orange county-good place to live, some traveling, mix of DOs and MDs
-Loma linda-did not meet any of the residents, but heard it's a great place to live
-UC riverside-palm springs- they are a new program, PD was super nice, everyone was nice
-Natividad-really hard residency, need Spanish skills
-San Joaquin general hospital-more rural, very nice residents, close to family/friends, mostly IMGs, Paper
-Valley family med Modesto-rural, nice residents, close to family/friends, mostly imgs

2) Does it matter which residency you go to in terms of job/salary?

3) How much does having family/friends/significant other around matter?

Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your question isn't going to get the answers you're looking for. Who here is going to know a lot about all of those programs? Most FM docs train at one place and that's it. Some go on to other places as faculty. The reality is that you know more about all those places than we do because you spent a day or two there, have their info pack, actually met their staff, attendings and residents and got a good feel for the atmosphere of the place - as we can see in the one liner you've given us about each.

Picking a program is a very personal decision for most. If you're in a relationship then it becomes more of a joint decision.

Now is a good time for you to really reflect on your priorities for the immediate, mid-term and long-term. Try to pick a place that gave you a good feeling and helps you meet as many goals/priorities in those three areas. If all else fails go with your instincts.

Best of luck!

NRMP has an app called Prism. You can use it to rank programs. Its what I did. They have standard categories that you give starts to programs for and the app then averages those scores to rank your programs. You can also add your own rating categories based on what's important to you. For example, exposure to the underserved is extremely important to me, so I added that as a category, but you can add anything you want.