1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How would you lead a double life at work while attending multiple interviews?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by LUCPM, Aug 16, 2011.

1. LUCPM

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you're working full time, how would you hide your plan to go to med school and request time off for multiple, OOS interviews?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LabLuvr

2+ Year Member

Do you need to hide the fact that you are applying to medical school? If you are sure you will get in some place, I would just tell your employer what is up.

I know where you are coming from though. I have been teaching at a community college and decided not to say anything when I got a very late interview last cycle. I was fortunate to not be working on my interview date and it was close to home. I decided, however, to tell them my plans later on and my dept chair was more than excited for me...I was kinda surprised.

If you think your work will be less than thrilled, I would first take vacation if you have it, then call in sick if need be. Others may disagree with me, but those are my thoughts. You have to look out for your job and if you think it would be in jeopardy I wouldn't say anything.

4. irJanus

irJanus Falling into a burning ring of fire
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    while I was working at a hospital full time when I was going thru interview season so I didn't have to hide it, I definitely didn't take much time off. i't tiring but it can be done. Fri interviews we're best, because I could take a red-eye thurs night, prep in the hotel, interview in the am, then take my time coming home. Mid week interviews were harder, but can be done with a single day off. I remember taking a half day (i was working 12's) on a tues, hoping a flight to Roanoke, VA, hr drive to Blacksburg for VCOM, hotel for the night, Interview Wed, fly back home that night, hr drive back to my house, 3 hrs of sleep, back to work.

Tough schedule, but you can sneak single days in there. Just make sure if you do this your interview skills don't suffer for it. I made up the sleep on weekends. GL!

5. GlimmerGlass

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have always done one of the following in these types of situations and have never had any issues (and I have used these options across many different companies and different mgrs):
    - Work remotely from home if you have that option
    - Take a vacation day(s)
    - Tell them you have an appointment or personal business to attend to (which is the truth) and ask if you can work extra hours the other days of the week to make up for the time missed for this appointment. I have never had a mgr ask for specifics since I think most people can relate to the fact that sometimes people have things going on in their personal life, whether that is leaving work early to go to your kid's baseball game or leaving work early to go to the airport for a med school interview...so long as you are a hard worker and make up the time and get your job done mgrs are usually respectful of this.

Unless you work an hourly shift type job where people depend on you showing up at a certain time, you have a lot of say in the flexibility of your schedule. I am speaking from my own experiences working in a professional career for many years now.

6. Everglide

Everglide EM PGY3
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Vacation days, sick days, personal days... use whatever your employer gives you.