How would you rank Morehouse medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flodhi1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have tried to find more information about this school compared to other schools such as VCU, Drexel etc.... and really could not find anything. What tier med school is this? just need some info.... Thank you!

Why do you need to know? VCU, Drexel, and Morehouse will all provide you with an excellent education.

I have tried to find more information about this school compared to other schools such as VCU, Drexel etc.... and really could not find anything. What tier med school is this? just need some info.... Thank you!

It's an HBC (or would that be an HBMS?), so the criteria that the school looks for in its applicants are a bit different from other medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's an HBC (or would that be an HBMS?), so the criteria that the school looks for in its applicants are a bit different from other medical schools.

Last edited:
Why do you need to know? VCU, Drexel, and Morehouse will all provide you with an excellent education.

Haha woahh man I really didn't mean it that way at all.... I am sure that Morehouse is an excellent school I just wanted to hear how it would be ranked academically compared to other schools that's all.

Yeah I'm aware it's HBC/HBMC and I am part Ethiopian. However, I wanted to know how this medical school ranked compared to other medical schools in terms of the quality of education.

All accredited medical schools will give you a great quality of education in the US. You need not worry about that anywhere. Pick up an MSAR and you can find more information about their curriculum. Or you can use the USNews like you already have to get their rankings but it's pretty widely accepted that the primary care rankings mean very little. The research rankings aren't the perfect solution either but many people use them for "prestige" proxies.

You cannot rank them "academically" as you describe since all schools need only meet accreditation standards. After that it's personal preference. Do you prefer a lot of PBL? Mandatory lectures? Lots of research opportunities? There's no objective way to rank this so you won't find anyone capable of giving you an unbiased answer to your question. It's dependent on what you want in a school.

the only thing that matters is

what do you think of the medical school

All accredited medical schools will give you a great quality of education in the US. You need not worry about that anywhere. Pick up an MSAR and you can find more information about their curriculum. Or you can use the USNews like you already have to get their rankings but it's pretty widely accepted that the primary care rankings mean very little. The research rankings aren't the perfect solution either but many people use them for "prestige" proxies.

You cannot rank them "academically" as you describe since all schools need only meet accreditation standards. After that it's personal preference. Do you prefer a lot of PBL? Mandatory lectures? Lots of research opportunities? There's no objective way to rank this so you won't find anyone capable of giving you an unbiased answer to your question. It's dependent on what you want in a school.

This.

Yeah, if you are interested in its "prestige ranking", I guess look at USNews research ranking. I think Morehouse is pretty low on that list- it's not a research powerhouse. What does that ranking mean in terms of the quality of education? Essentially nothing. I suppose at a higher ranked school you can expect stiffer competition and higher average step 1 scores for the class, but neither of those really have any bearing on how good of an education you receive, or how high YOUR step 1 scores will be.

All of those places, you will become an MD.
None of those places will win any prestige points, thus choose wherever you like best of the three.

EDIT:- So far I know it's ranked #16 according to US NEWS with respect to primary care and is primarily an African American med school and for disadvantaged students.

its aight

This.

Rankings only matter for pre-meds desperate to find ways to make decisions and for dick-waving later in life if you're the kind of person prone to it.

Well, and also if you're into research.

but research is so booooooring