How would YOU rank the Top Ten schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LizardKing, Mar 19, 2002.

1. LizardKing

LizardKing Veteran Member

Lots of you interviewed at and seen the matchlists from the top schools. So looking back how would you rank the top ten?

Here's my Top Ten (I will explain why later on):
    1. Johns Hopkins
    2. Harvard
    3. UCSF
    4. UPenn
    5. Duke
    6. WashU
    7. Columbia
    8. UMichigan
    9. Weill/Cornell
    10. Yale
    10. Mayo

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spicoli

spicoli Member

Mine is MUCH different.

1. UCSF
    2. Duke
    3. UMich
    4. Harvard
    5. Hopkins
    6. OHSU
    7. Washington U
    8. Stanford
    9. UCLA
    10. UNC - Chapel Hill

4. nray

nray Senior Member

Spicoli, I thought your list would be more different, more along the lines of the following:

1. Surf City USA
    2. Pizza Hut
    3. Hawaii
    4. North Shore
    5. Ridgemont High
    6. Baywatch University
    7. Slackers College of Medicine

5. matthew0126

matthew0126 Anaheim Angels

nothin tops ucsf/ucla...

heck, i didn't even list ucsd in the top10, but if i don't get in ucla, i'm takin that over the other top10 schools

1(t). ucsf/ucla
    3. upenn
    4. cornell
    5. wash u
    6. harvard
    7. duke
    8. columbia
    9. johns hopkins
    10. michigan

6. LizardKing

The methodology I used was based on the strength of the affiliated hospitals, the matchlists, and selectivity of the schools. They are not my favorite schools.

Of course, I didn't use any calculations...but I factored in clinical experience heavily over other factors. That's why hopkins is better than harvard, you just can't beat the variety of diseases coming into hopkins.

7. Cdc28p

Cdc28p Senior Member

1. Harvard HST
    2. Harvard New Pathway
    3. Johns Hopkins
    4. Stanford
    5. UCSF
    6. U Penn
    7. Columbia
    8. Michigan
    9. Wash U
    10. Yale
    11. Cornell

Criteria: rumors and personal biases. Come on, how many of you really know how a university hospital is better than another, or how to rank a curriculum. Most of us can generally agree that MGH is better than a community hospital in Alabama, but how do you compare MGH to Hopkins Hospital or Stanford Medical Center? How do you judge the intelligence of the students at each school? There are so many factors and many ways to weigh them.

8. LizardKing

yea, cdc, i see what you're saying. no one said our methods are empirical! but after seeing the schools and talking with a lot of doctors, you can get a general sense which schools are tops.

this is why i place such high emphasis on clinical experience. places like st. louis simply can't compare to baltimore or new york in terms of exposing a variety of patients to students.

9. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member

I think that it is ridiculous (or even arrogant of anyone) to come up with such ranking... well US News included.

10. LizardKing

Ha ha, this is totally not about being arrogant about this stuff. First off, I've gotten into none of these schools. Second, no matter what we say, most of us still feel pangs of caring about the rankings. I just want to see if people's ranks differ from US News.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Thewonderer:
    <strong>I think that it is ridiculous (or even arrogant of anyone) to come up with such ranking... well US News included.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

11. Southernplayalisticadillacmusic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cdc28p:
    <strong>1. Harvard HST
    2. Harvard New Pathway
    3. Johns Hopkins
    4. Stanford
    5. UCSF
    6. U Penn
    7. Columbia
    8. Michigan
    9. Wash U
    10. Yale
    11. Cornell

Criteria: rumors and personal biases. Come on, how many of you really know how a university hospital is better than another, or how to rank a curriculum. Most of us can generally agree that MGH is better than a community hospital in Alabama, but how do you compare MGH to Hopkins Hospital or Stanford Medical Center? How do you judge the intelligence of the students at each school? There are so many factors and many ways to weigh them.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMEN!!!! Let's cut the B.S.(new pathway c/o 2003)

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1. University of Chicago - Pritzker (the most underrated school ever)
    2. UPenn
    3. Duke
    4. Columbia
    5. UCSF
    6. Harvard
    7. Stanford
    8. Johns Hopkins
    9. Mayo
    10. Vanderbilt, Baylor (more underappreciated schools)