How would you rank these NY med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReAPPer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only on an academic basis, not financial.

1) Suny Stonybrook
2) Suny Downstate
2) Suny Buffalo
2) Suny Upstate
3) NYMC

Does this seem right? Are Downstate, Buffalo, and Upstate basically the same as far as quality of match list? How much more competitive is Stonybrook to get into than Downstate? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Stony Brook
2. Downstate
3. Upstate
4. Nymc
5. Buffalo

Stony Brook and Downstate (especially Stony) tend to be fairly desireable.

i have a lot of experience with ny schools. financial aid aside, here's my vote:

1. stony brook
2. downstate
3. nymc
4. upstate
5. buffalo

again... entirely my opinion. best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

1) Suny Stonybrook
2) Suny Downstate
2) Suny Buffalo
2) Suny Upstate
3) NYMC

Does this seem right? Are Downstate, Buffalo, and Upstate basically the same as far as quality of match list? How much more competitive is Stonybrook to get into than Downstate? Thanks.

1. SUNY Buffalo (UB)
2. SUNY Upstate
3. SUNY Stony Brook
4. NYMC
5. SUNY Downstate

1. SUNY Buffalo (UB)
2. SUNY Upstate
3. SUNY Stony Brook
4. NYMC
5. SUNY Downstate

But you would never go to a school in an urban/ghetto environment. Forget location and patient population too, He just meant purely for academic reasons.

I'm a current student at SUNY Upstate. I have to say that the student population here is very happy and the academics are quite strong. Choose whatever school you go to based on where you think you'll BE HAPPY and excel. Your ultimate goal is to get into the residency of your choice. Programs aren't going to care what school on that list you went to. They will however care about grades, board scores, and letters of recommendation. Students here interact with faculty constantly, and they actually respond to our feedback. If you go on the Upstate website and look at where the graduating class matched, you'll see that students from this program land spots in competitive fields all across the country. Don't make the mistake of choosing a program based on name, rather than feedback from the student body at that institution and how YOU FELT when you visited the school. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions about our program.

But you would never go to a school in an urban/ghetto environment. Forget location and patient population too, He just meant purely for academic reasons.
Uh....I'm applying to Wayne State and several schools in NYC. Granted they aren't my first choice, but still I would attend them.

Thanks to everyone who responded, I appreciate it.

1. SUNY Buffalo (UB)
2. SUNY Upstate
3. SUNY Stony Brook
4. NYMC
5. SUNY Downstate

What?!

I'm from NY, interviewed at most of these schools and know quite a bit about them. Try this:

Stony Brook- Despite "SUNY" label, they have amazing research and thus high recognition in the medical field

SUNY Downstate- Have you seen their match lists lately?

SUNY Upstate/Buffalo

NYMC

1) Suny Stonybrook
2) Suny Downstate
2) Suny Buffalo
2) Suny Upstate
3) NYMC

I'll be honest, the SUNYs are all so close that it's really up to where you want to live, and whether you're into research and whatnot.

Stony Brook and Buffalo have the most research dollars going into them, Downstate has good clinicals to make up for the research, and Upstate...has nice facilities (so I hear, since Upstate is also the only med school I haven't seen in person).
NYMC I personally would rank last just because it's so much more money and not so much better. Academically it's similar to the SUNYs anyway, but the money thing just kills it for me.

Anyways, question is, do you want to live in Suffolk County, Buffalo, Syracuse, or the mean streets of Brooklyn (no, seriously, Downstate is in like...the serious ghetto).

What?!

I'm from NY, interviewed at most of these schools and know quite a bit about them. Try this:

Stony Brook- Despite "SUNY" label, they have amazing research and thus high recognition in the medical field

SUNY Downstate- Have you seen their match lists lately?

SUNY Upstate/Buffalo

NYMC

I don't understand why people don't seem to realize that Buffalo has almost as much research as Stony Brook...Buffalo has $68 million in research funding...and Stony Brook has $71 million.

Yes, in more recent years Stony Brook has had more of a limelight, but in recent years Stony Brook has also had more scandals and some of their top researchers left (there's a thread on this somewhere).

Historically though, Buffalo has always been a pretty strong research center, so just mentioning Stony Brook as a great research school while not giving Buffalo credit for their research prowess is a little ridiculous.

No, Buffalo isn't like it used to be (heh, Roswell Park was the first cancer hospital, period) but it still gets the NIH funding.