How would you reform medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have unlimited time to do things because of no work restraints and mom and dad say "get into med school we got you" then you're fortunate....take it as it is. If I didn't have to work, do the pre-reqs, and do all of the other ECs needed for med school my gpa would'v been sky high but its not the hand I was dealt.....you have the silver spoon...eat with it and get into med school. Most students experience a shock the first year if gen bio was tough for you prepare hard before you get into med school anatomy and biochem are a whole other ball game

No I understand all that, trust me. I'm not saying it isn't hard if you are working. I am saying that if you don't work, it isn't all easy as you might think. Sure, you will have more free time---but I spent a lot of time working for that GPA. If I worked, I will admit: I will not have a 3.94 cGPA.

I have taken Human Anatomy, Gen Chem, Organic Chem, Human Development, etc. I'm a biochemistry major. To be honest, I had trouble with gen chem but when Organic Chem came in, it clicked a lot for me.

Have you looked into scholarships? Try getting some of those. You deserve it.

I wish you the best and I hope you get into medical school. I am sorry to hear about the struggles you are facing.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah now try to get that GPA while working 30-40 hours a week to support yourself. You've made my point, thank you.

If you read my post, I said: "Now, this isn't to say that being a College student and working on top of it isn't hard." I realize it's a lot more difficult if you have a part-time job. I am just trying to say that even not having a job it's difficult as well.

We are on the same page.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think there could be a lot of innovation to make the "in person" educational experience worth it. Flipped classrooms are one basic example.

I had an absolutely amazing neurology professor; her lectures were 1000% worth the attendance.

But I'm also part of that generation straddling the old pre-internet era and the new.

Right now I would argue we are paying tuition purely for the degree at the end of the road. People have decided more or less that the MD degree is worth the sticker price.

We aren't actually paying for or finding value in the classroom interactions. But since it is a sellers market there isn't that much incentive for the schools to innovate

One would be surprised at how willing some schools are at trying to be innovative. My own Curriculum Dean constantly talks about "improving the student experience". Some schools are far less rigid than others...and I think that they'd move even faster if Faculty would just realize the the "sage on the stage" is NOT the optimal method to deliver content. I have several lab exercises that are in a game show format, and the students love them. They love competing in teams against each other, even if the prize is some candy bars! The students also like to be tested against themselves.

Oddly, new teaching concepts always seem to start at Harvard and sweep westward.

Now, innovations don't always work. UCSF spent several million dollars changing their Flexner style curriculum into a systems based version. It didn't budge Step I scores a fraction, but the students at least, were happier with the new curriculum. I'm all for anything that makes students happier.

No I understand all that, trust me. I'm not saying it isn't hard if you are working. I am saying that if you don't work, it isn't all easy as you might think. Sure, you will have more free time---but I spent a lot of time working for that GPA. If I worked, I will admit: I will not have a 3.94 cGPA.

I have taken Human Anatomy, Gen Chem, Organic Chem, Human Development, etc. I'm a biochemistry major. To be honest, I had trouble with gen chem but when Organic Chem came in, it clicked a lot for me.

Have you looked into scholarships? Try getting some of those. You deserve it.

I wish you the best and I hope you get into medical school. I am sorry to hear about the struggles you are facing.

Medical school anatomy and biochem is a little bit different ;)

My critique is a fairly broad one, that really applies to almost all of higher education:

Until very recently (i.e. The 00's), we went to institutes of higher learning because that's where the knowledge was. The professors had it and thick, dense, expensive, unapproachable textbooks had it.

So you went to school, went to class, took notes, and learned what the professors distilled to you.

That is how the system worked.

You also largely lived in your own little bubble, with the assumption that similar/the same knowledge was being passed down at other universities.

Now though, we are all connected. I don't need to be in a classroom with a professor to learn from them. I can watch a video, view an interactive slide show, take an online quiz with performance feedback and thorough explanations of the answers.

There is really no compelling reason for the traditional classroom model to continue. Students are already eschewing it, as we know that med school attendance rate is down to something like 20% (unless your school requires attendance).

What schools should do is work together, identify the absolute best teachers, and put those best teachers out there in video lectures/interactive formats online. I don't need the path professor from my own medical school who happens to be a crummy teacher but has to fill the lecture slots, when I could have Goljan instead.

The professors also don't have to keep giving the same talk year after year after year. They can give it once, record, it, make an online module, and then update prn if content changes.

Medical schools should be crowd-sourcing and working together to define a common curriculum. They won't though, because of the individualist nature of institutions, the desire to adhere to tradition, and of course the financial aspects.

I'm not won over on this online learning thing. I stubbornly believe the closer education is to a professor and a student sitting on a log in the woods with some books, and having a conversation, the better.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile