How would you use 1,500 sq feet to build out the perfect pain clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Painologist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says. I'm a fellow who will be graduating this summer. I will hopefully be building out a 1,500 sq foot space to suit and wondering if anyone had input on how to best utilize this space in regards to exam rooms, procedure suite, reception area, and small pre/post procedure area. There will be a shared waiting room that won't need to be included in the space. Appreciate the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you solo? Any mid-levels? Doing IV sedation?

I'm not a pain practitioner but as someone who has outfitted more than a couple of medical spaces let me say that one thing you want to make sure you do is have a qualified mechanical engineer design your HVAC system. You're likely going to take a 1500 square foot space and carve it up into many different rooms. Adequate air flow is critical to ensure you don't have super hot or super cold spots throughout your office.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Like the title says. I'm a fellow who will be graduating this summer. I will hopefully be building out a 1,500 sq foot space to suit and wondering if anyone had input on how to best utilize this space in regards to exam rooms, procedure suite, reception area, and small pre/post procedure area. There will be a shared waiting room that won't need to be included in the space. Appreciate the input!

I'd do something like this...

GetAttachmentThumbnail

1500 sq ft is tight
Tips:
1. I would not have the procedure room or recovery near the reception area.
2. Two entrances, one for reception and one private that leads to clinical area.
3. You need a small employee room. They do eat sometimes and need a place for their personal items.
4. You can probably get by with 3 exam rooms. One central sink at a work area instead of sinks in each room.
5. One toilet for staff and patients isn’t going to cut it.

Reactions: 4 users
1500 sq ft is tight
Tips:
2. Two entrances, one for reception and one private that leads to clinical area.
3. You need a small employee room. They do eat sometimes and need a place for their personal items.
4. You can probably get by with 3 exam rooms. One central sink at a work area instead of sinks in each room.
Agree with all. Why such a large recovery room or having one at all?

1500 sq ft is tight
Tips:

One of the exam rooms is actually being repurposed into an employee area.

The recovery area "flexes" into other purposes when not in use.

There is a shared breakroom with another tenant and a bathroom in another public area.

The idea behind this concept was to develop a "min-spec" procedure-room office that could be a template for a franchising project.

I love having a pre and post recovery room off procedure suite.

That’s all extremely helpful, especially the diagram. Employee break room, bathrooms and waiting room area will be included with rest of building (different large specialty practice).
Are you solo? Any mid-levels? Doing IV sedation?
I’ll be solo starting off with the plan to add a mid-level as soon as possible, likely 9 months in. Yes, IV sedation will be available for certain procedures.
I'd do something like this...

GetAttachmentThumbnail
How many square feet is that build out total? Is it optimized for 1 physician and 1 mid-level?

my office is around 2500 sq ft in a medical arts building next to the hospital. There is a public bathroom in the outside hallway which is where we send patients. There are also 2 private bathrooms....1 in my office and 1 in the hallway which is used by employees and VIPatient's. My office has a circular plan with a room and bathroom and AC closet in the middle, which means traffic can go either way, and there isnt a bottle neck. My recovery area is in an open wide hallway right in front of patient check out so my staff always has eyes on the recovering patient.....i dont do any IV sedation.

You need an architect, a life safety plan, and lots of other things we cant tell you which are dependent on your HOA and county govt. Thanks to COVID your waiting are can be alot smaller now....many patients wait in their cars now.

Reactions: 1 users
my office is around 2500 sq ft in a medical arts building next to the hospital. There is a public bathroom in the outside hallway which is where we send patients. There are also 2 private bathrooms....1 in my office and 1 in the hallway which is used by employees and VIPatient's. My office has a circular plan with a room and bathroom and AC closet in the middle, which means traffic can go either way, and there isnt a bottle neck. My recovery area is in an open wide hallway right in front of patient check out so my staff always has eyes on the recovering patient.....i dont do any IV sedation.

You need an architect, a life safety plan, and lots of other things we cant tell you which are dependent on your HOA and county govt. Thanks to COVID your waiting are can be alot smaller now....many patients wait in their cars now.
That was helpful, thanks. What are the cons to IV sedation other than longer recovery times? I feel that it would be useful for SCS trials and MILD.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s all extremely helpful, especially the diagram. Employee break room, bathrooms and waiting room area will be included with rest of building (different large specialty practice).

I’ll be solo starting off with the plan to add a mid-level as soon as possible, likely 9 months in. Yes, IV sedation will be available for certain procedures.

How many square feet is that build out total? Is it optimized for 1 physician and 1 mid-level?

1 physician, 1 mid-level, 1 behavioral health practitioner.

Recovery and reception flex into pain-psychology group therapy space and Ayn Rand book club meeting locations after hours.

• Haha
That was helpful, thanks. What are the cons to IV sedation other than longer recovery times? I feel that it would be useful for SCS trials and MILD.
More overhead--RN, crash cart, vitals monitoring, O2, IV supplies, lock box for narcotics. And payers don't always pay for 99152/99153

More overhead--RN, crash cart, vitals monitoring, O2, IV supplies, lock box for narcotics. And payers don't always pay for 99152/99153
Good points. Do you find that you’re able to do trials and MILD without IV sedation? Are patients still satisfied? 90% of my patients in fellowship get IV sedation.

I personally think 1500 sq ft is plenty, especially if you're not including the waiting area. My office space is bigger but I rent out the space I don't use. I have about that size office including my waiting area. I have a small foyer, a waiting room, small reception area, bathroom, one fluoro room, and 3 exam rooms. One exam room doubles as the post-procedure suite. I had up to 3 employees at one time and this still worked out well. I now have one employee and it's plenty of space. I'll try to scan my blueprints if I can find them later.

I designed it myself and didn't use an architect but depending on your local regs, you'll still likely need to obtain approval and a COO from your local gov't officials. Don't forget to review the code, including ADA reqs. You have to make sure your bathroom is handicap accessible and your doorways and hallways are the correct size, etc.

When I was a fellow, I measured the rooms being used and tried to determine if they were too big, too small, or just right, etc. I then tried to imagine the best pt flow and went to work from there.

I personally think 1500 sq ft is plenty, especially if you're not including the waiting area. My office space is bigger but I rent out the space I don't use. I have about that size office including my waiting area. I have a small foyer, a waiting room, small reception area, bathroom, one fluoro room, and 3 exam rooms. One exam room doubles as the post-procedure suite. I had up to 3 employees at one time and this still worked out well. I now have one employee and it's plenty of space. I'll try to scan my blueprints if I can find them later.

I designed it myself and didn't use an architect but depending on your local regs, you'll still likely need to obtain approval and a COO from your local gov't officials. Don't forget to review the code, including ADA reqs. You have to make sure your bathroom is handicap accessible and your doorways and hallways are the correct size, etc.

When I was a fellow, I measured the rooms being used and tried to determine if they were too big, too small, or just right, etc. I then tried to imagine the best pt flow and went to work from there.
That’s extremely helpful. I like the idea of using an exam room as a post procedure area. Hopefully I can fit 5-6 exam rooms, especially considering a mid-level. I may still opt for a small recovery area as I would hopefully do ketamine infusions 1-2x a weeek.

Good points. Do you find that you’re able to do trials and MILD without IV sedation? Are patients still satisfied? 90% of my patients in fellowship get IV sedation.
MILD, Vertiflex only pay in facility. SCS trial is no problem with local. Kypho too. PO meds for these if anxious. Similar level of discomfort as RFA.

That’s extremely helpful. I like the idea of using an exam room as a post procedure area. Hopefully I can fit 5-6 exam rooms, especially considering a mid-level. I may still opt for a small recovery area as I would hopefully do ketamine infusions 1-2x a weeek.
This is my office. My county allows this but yours may not. They may require a stamp from an architect and something drawn to more detail. Typically, the more urban an area is the more reqs and the more of a pain. The more costly, red tape, etc.

In my small town, the zoning/planning commissioners are friendly and helpful for the most part and I'm kind of friendly with the head of the building department. I have a real estate/construction company on the side so I'm used to working with these folks. I also have properties in NYC. The city operates 180 degrees from the way my small town does.

Anyway, my office is outlined in yellow. I built out everything, about 2200 sq ft in case my practice grew. My practice grew but I ended up subleasing out the remaining space as I prefer real estate as opposed to practicing medicine for the most part. Remember to review the code before drawing something up otherwise you're going to go back and forth a million times.

thumbnail.jpg

If you guys wouldn’t mind sharing, what is the overall cost to build or rent a 2500 sq foot office space?

Sure. So what is the typical cost?
Completely depends on the location. You can't compare renting in NYC to rural Kansas. Just look at how many sq ft of living space you get for your money in these places.

There is no typical for a build-out. It depends on how much demo you have to do, what your building codes call for, local labor costs, etc. Sometimes, you need to rewire the entire suite or redo plumbing, etc. When you renovate, you typically have to bring the suite up to code.

This is my office. My county allows this but yours may not. They may require a stamp from an architect and something drawn to more detail. Typically, the more urban an area is the more reqs and the more of a pain. The more costly, red tape, etc.

In my small town, the zoning/planning commissioners are friendly and helpful for the most part and I'm kind of friendly with the head of the building department. I have a real estate/construction company on the side so I'm used to working with these folks. I also have properties in NYC. The city operates 180 degrees from the way my small town does.

Anyway, my office is outlined in yellow. I built out everything, about 2200 sq ft in case my practice grew. My practice grew but I ended up subleasing out the remaining space as I prefer real estate as opposed to practicing medicine for the most part. Remember to review the code before drawing something up otherwise you're going to go back and forth a million times.

View attachment 346204
I appreciate this immensely. I will work on something similar to this with an architect. Hoping to have 5-6 exam rooms but we will see. After looking at this, 1,500 sq feet will do nicely.

MILD, Vertiflex only pay in facility. SCS trial is no problem with local. Kypho too. PO meds for these if anxious. Similar level of discomfort as RFA.
Ahhh good to know about MILD. We do our procedures in our "office" that's inside of a hospital. That's probably why we get away with doing MILD in the "office". We always do Vertiflex in the OR. Good to know. You can do kypho with just local? That's awesome.

Hi OP, off topic question but do you plan on starting from scratch? Finishing fellowship and starting to build your own patient base from ground zero? (buying established practice is alternative) If so, how would you cover expenses (life and business), obviously being as lean as possible. Are you in a underserved area? Are you going to work gas shifts on the side?

Asking from the perspective of a potential future pain physician that is always thinking about these things.

Hi OP, off topic question but do you plan on starting from scratch? Finishing fellowship and starting to build your own patient base from ground zero? (buying established practice is alternative) If so, how would you cover expenses (life and business), obviously being as lean as possible. Are you in a underserved area? Are you going to work gas shifts on the side?

Asking from the perspective of a potential future pain physician that is always thinking about these things.
Yes, starting from scratch. Nope it is actually a somewhat saturated area in the midwest. I plan to build my own patient base from ground zero by offering a better product than my competitor. I will be able to offer the complete range of interventional procedures that most pain doctors are unable to. I believe this will help me stand out. I will have a business loan to cover expenses and will work some gas shifts on the side.

Yes, starting from scratch. Nope it is actually a somewhat saturated area in the midwest. I plan to build my own patient base from ground zero by offering a better product than my competitor. I will be able to offer the complete range of interventional procedures that most pain doctors are unable to. I believe this will help me stand out. I will have a business loan to cover expenses and will work some gas shifts on the side.
Well best of luck to you and hope it works out, but I have news for you most referral sources won't give a damn about whether you do the latest interventional procedures. They care about how quick you get them in and will you take over their meds.

Reactions: 4 users
Well best of luck to you and hope it works out, but I have news for you most referral sources won't give a damn about whether you do the latest interventional procedures. They care about how quick you get them in and will you take over their meds.
Prescribe or that’s it unfortunately …. Sad truth of the specialty.

I will also say, I have drastically more no shows than the other doctors at my hosptial …. They have a lot of chronic opioid patients, they come every month like clockwork

So nice to be a new grad. I remember when I was the best pain doc in the world fondly

I appreciate this immensely. I will work on something similar to this with an architect. Hoping to have 5-6 exam rooms but we will see. After looking at this, 1,500 sq feet will do nicely.

Ahhh good to know about MILD. We do our procedures in our "office" that's inside of a hospital. That's probably why we get away with doing MILD in the "office". We always do Vertiflex in the OR. Good to know. You can do kypho with just local? That's awesome.
If you're going to show your architect use this one. This one I believe is closer to the final version. Keep in mind an architect will likely charge you well over $1000 for the work. If you'd like to cut costs you might want to consider doing the drawing yourself. Consider calling your local officials and asking them if you can do it yourself? You can use graph paper to help draw it to scale. You can also make your rooms smaller if you'd like as mine are probably too big. I own the building and it's 8,000 sq feet so having enough room is not and was not an issue for me. Most people are not in that situation. Also, consider investing in a commercial building and renting out the remaining spaces. This has worked out great for me. My building will be paid off in 2026 or 2027 and I make over a 25% per year return on my investment, and that's without including the rent my medical practice pays.

thumbnail.jpg

Listen to this piece of advice very closely. No one cares about what procedures you do. They also don't care about where you trained or what letters are after your name. They don't care if you're anesthsia, pmr, neuro, NP, DO, MD, PA, AAABCDEFG. They care about you making their lives easier. Keeping their patients happy will make their lives easier and get you word-of-mouth referrals. Plus, appreciative patients make you feel good about what you're doing.

I trained at big-name academic institutions and while I appreciate these places and the opportunities they afforded me, they don't do much for me outside of academic circles.

Be mindful of what percentage of referring practices are owned by systems. The referring docs may be punished for excess "leakage" outside of the system that employs them. It is quite frustrating when family members and NPs are referred to you but not other patients.

Listen to this piece of advice very closely. No one cares about what procedures you do. They also don't care about where you trained or what letters are after your name. They don't care if you're anesthsia, pmr, neuro, NP, DO, MD, PA, AAABCDEFG. They care about you making their lives easier. Keeping their patients happy will make their lives easier and get you word-of-mouth referrals. Plus, appreciative patients make you feel good about what you're doing.

I trained at big-name academic institutions and while I appreciate these places and the opportunities they afforded me, they don't do much for me outside of academic circles.
Agree strongly. Marketing “the latest procedures” is good for direct-to-patient marketing - they like the idea of advanced technology and you can hype yourself up to differentiate yourself from the competition. You may be able to snag a grand rounds talk if there’s a local training program too. But for PCPs and surgeons referring to you it’s about access and making their lives easier. Hand out your phone number. make sure referrals are scheduled promptly. If you want to court spine surgeons, consider allowing them to send you procedure orders directly - same day new-patient consultation and procedure.

So nice to be a new grad. I remember when I was the best pain doc in the world fondly
And you could have it all…
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

Be mindful of what percentage of referring practices are owned by systems. The referring docs may be punished for excess "leakage" outside of the system that employs them. It is quite frustrating when family members and NPs are referred to you but not other patients.
I'm sure this happens but I believe this is illegal and a violation of anti-trust laws. If you can prove this I bet you would have a pretty strong case against the hospital. Could be a gold mine for you.

I'm sure this happens but I believe this is illegal and a violation of anti-trust laws. If you can prove this I bet you would have a pretty strong case against the hospital. Could be a gold mine for you.
Definitely illegal but very difficult to prove. My local area hospitals does this and so we live off of word of mouth etc.