How you got into Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentisttobeDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm writing this because I would like to know those who got accepted to dental school what did you have in your application besides high GPA and high DAT scores? What are the schools looking for? I'm applying towards the end of the summer and would like to improve my application and make myself stand out but don't know how. I would greatly appreciate your answers.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm writing this because I would like to know those who got accepted to dental school what did you have in your application besides high GPA and high DAT scores? What are the schools looking for? I'm applying towards the end of the summer and would like to improve my application and make myself stand out but don't know how. I would greatly appreciate your answers.

I did engineering for six years. Maybe start there.

just kidding.

In reality, there isnt a whole lot that you can do in two months that will set you leaps apart from the crowd. You would be better off getting your application in early. After all, if only two months worth of stuff could make you stand out from, why wouldnt everyone do that?

Get to know the Dean of Admissions at the school you want to attend. Email him/her, setup a meeting, talk.

Dental school is competitive but it's not nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get to know the Dean of Admissions at the school you want to attend. Email him/her, setup a meeting, talk.

Dental school is competitive but it's not nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

This is true. Just finished D1 and thus far undergrad was much more difficult and stressful.

Very good interview skills. If you can think on your feet and have a good personality you can go very far off of a good interview despite average scores.

I'd note that applying near the end of summer already puts you at a slight disadvantage as all the applications that flood in at the beginning of summer will be looked at before yours. While most schools won't start reviewing the applications until near the end of summer, they'll usually still go chronologically unless you did something to impress the admissions board enough that they specifically look for your name and pull you out of the pile.

I agree with above, call and try to set up a meeting with an admissions dean, but honestly, you'll be hard pressed to get that interview. They just graduated their class and right now, they are probably going on vacation, and when they get back, they'll be busy with greeting and hosting the incoming freshman, and when that's over, they'll have to start the admissions review process and this will keep them all very busy with full schedules for a while.

As for me, I'm a non-traditional too. I spent 3 years as a high school English Teacher, then 2 years as a working ceramic artist before deciding to go back to school. I got to know the associate dean at my two top picks about a year before I went on my interviews. At the interview I was lucky enough to get a faculty member who just wanted to talk about music the whole time.

Oh, I also got arrested 3 times...which came up in the interview...but I don't suggest you do that in the next two months.

I did engineering for six years. Maybe start there.

just kidding.

In reality, there isnt a whole lot that you can do in two months that will set you leaps apart from the crowd. You would be better off getting your application in early. After all, if only two months worth of stuff could make you stand out from, why wouldnt everyone do that?

Same case for me, though with military service and some years in a mid level healthcare field.

As such, I agree with what's been said already.

dental service projects (i.e. mission of mercy)-call the dental schools and see if they have anything like this that you could participate in if you haven't already
shadow at a variety of specialties so you can figure out if you are interested in one before you start school-I did this and it was much easier to talk shop on my interviews, plus I had a better idea than most of my classmates what the specialties were really like-which is hard to gauge when you are in school for some reason. It made me realize that endodontics and oral surgery weren't my cups of tea.

I'd note that applying near the end of summer already puts you at a slight disadvantage as all the applications that flood in at the beginning of summer will be looked at before yours. While most schools won't start reviewing the applications until near the end of summer, they'll usually still go chronologically unless you did something to impress the admissions board enough that they specifically look for your name and pull you out of the pile.

I agree with above, call and try to set up a meeting with an admissions dean, but honestly, you'll be hard pressed to get that interview. They just graduated their class and right now, they are probably going on vacation, and when they get back, they'll be busy with greeting and hosting the incoming freshman, and when that's over, they'll have to start the admissions review process and this will keep them all very busy with full schedules for a while.

As for me, I'm a non-traditional too. I spent 3 years as a high school English Teacher, then 2 years as a working ceramic artist before deciding to go back to school. I got to know the associate dean at my two top picks about a year before I went on my interviews. At the interview I was lucky enough to get a faculty member who just wanted to talk about music the whole time.

Oh, I also got arrested 3 times...which came up in the interview...but I don't suggest you do that in the next two months.
Wow there's a great story to be told there! How you make it in, and more importantly what did you say to them during rhe interview.

Graduated 10th in my class undergrad, DAT scores in the top 10th percentile, applied summer after
junior year and was accepted by my school of choice by Dec my senior year with no interview. Things were much more straight forward in the late 70's.

Thanks for all of your comments. I already have some extracurriculars on my application. But I wanted to know those of you who got in whad did you have on your application as extracurriucular activites? Were they all related to dentistry? I know two months is not enough, but if I don't get in this round, it will be good to know for next time. So for those who are in dental school or recently graduated, what kind of extracurriculars did you have? What are the schools looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP: Dont waist your energy. DAT and GPA are king.

Agreed.

I had an dentistry related internship offered at one of the dental schools I applied to , strong lor's which I think helped balance my average dat score

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

OP: Dont waist your energy. DAT and GPA are king.
That may be true, but if you have a less than perfect application showing some interest in the profession may help to strengthen your application. I am the director of dentistry at a community health center and so far 3 out of 3 of our "post-bac" dental assistants have gotten into dental school. If you have already graduated then consider some options such as the MOM programs or even a year as an Americorp volunteer.

Thanks for all of your comments. I already have some extracurriculars on my application. But I wanted to know those of you who got in whad did you have on your application as extracurriucular activites? Were they all related to dentistry? I know two months is not enough, but if I don't get in this round, it will be good to know for next time. So for those who are in dental school or recently graduated, what kind of extracurriculars did you have? What are the schools looking for?

When I went back to school I was pretty involved in student administration. I was President of one of the art associations at the school, finance officer for the school of fine art counsel, chair of the student health board and a couple other things. That may have helped me in my interviews. I continued that through dental school too, holding a couple student officer positions during my three years.

Same case for me, though with military service and some years in a mid level healthcare field.

As such, I agree with what's been said already.

Also spent 5 years an an engineer - am starting school in the fall.

I had good LORs

Lots of ECs

a High DAT

decent GPA

I also think my interview went well besides one hick up.

I got into my state school and 1 private school.

Admissions can sometimes be a lottery. I know someone with higher stats than me who was rejected. I think he interviewed poorly, but i am not sure. He had a 22 DAT and a rather high GPA, but he got denied at our state school. He is at another school currently. DAT is king. Ace your DAT, and even with a so-so GPA you can get in.

If anything is weak in your app improve it.

Also dent school being easier than undergrad. I think people care about grades less, but it is in no way easier.

There's not much you are gonna be able to do in one summer to make yourself stand out. I think it would be better to just go with what you already got and:

1. Apply early (like within the first week the application opens)

2. Do really well on the DAT (21+ is great)

3. If you are in your last year in undergrad, there is not much you can do to your GPA to improve it (just don't get any C's or B minuses)

4. Practice your interview skills (but don't have rehearsed answers - this is usually a turn off to the adcoms)

5. Look for your "angle" to write about in you personal statement.

6. Do some shadowing so you have some idea what dentistry is about (looking into 1 or 2 specialties is a bonus).

Utilize SDN. Pore through the pages. Everything you need to succeed is right here. Getting into dentistry is a self selecting process.

No kidding.

Undergraduate pre-health curriculum is absurdly easy by comparison.
Agreed! 1st year has drained the life out of me and I hear second year only gets worse!

OP- sometimes getting in is a crap shoot. I got in first try with a 17 AA and 3.7 GPA with minimal shadowing and volunteering (though I did work 2 part time jobs all through undergrad). Try now and if you don't get any interviews consider more volunteering/shadowing and maybe looking into post-bac courses. Good luck!!

Utilize SDN. Pore through the pages. Everything you need to succeed is right here. Getting into dentistry is a self selecting process.

Very good interview skills. If you can think on your feet and have a good personality you can go very far off of a good interview despite average scores.

B.A. History
cGPA:3.02
sGPA:3.67
AA/TS/PAT:20/19/22
AADSAS Mail Date: 30 Sep
military, community health clinic volunteer

As you can see, my stats are nothing to write home about and I applied WAY late. On paper, I'm nobody special, but I was told by my interviewer last night at a faculty meet and greet that I smoked the interview and that's what made all the difference. The interview is when they get to know who you really are. Good stats, PS, EC's, and LOE's get you the interview, but the interview is what gets you in.

Bump. My GPA and DAT weren't great (around 3.2 and 20 respectively), but I had shadowing experience and most importantly passion to make clear that I had thought out my decision to enter the field.

OP, there's no magic formula. Spend time in observation, ask the difficult questions of mentors, read the material in these forums.

Non traditional here as well.....I had mediocre undergrad stats and DAT scores, but wanted to go to dental school. After rejections from several programs, I went down to Mexico, graduated dental school four years later, and applied to the two-year DDS program for internationally trained dentists. Got in right away.

Non traditional here as well....I had mediocre undergrad stats and DAT scores and wanted to go to dental school. After rejections from several programs, I went down to Mexico, graduated dental school four years later, and applied to the two-year DDS program for internationally trained dentists. Got in right away...