How you're paying the bills until medical school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brancer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm curious as to how everyone's putting food on the table, as most non-trads have to work before departing to medical school (and eternal loans.)

I'm, right at this moment, supervising 32 kids in a high school class as a substitute teacher. (Don't worry, they're on task.)

What are you doing until matriculation day?

Members don't see this ad.

I work full-time as a teacher and do some private tutoring on the side though I am only taking 8 credits per semester. My time frame is also longer than some because my significant other is in veterinary school and I would like to avoid loans at all cost. While it will take me several years until I am ready to apply and hopefully matriculate, the extra time allows me to save money and reduce any loans that I may need to pay for school.

So I'm curious as to how everyone's putting food on the table, as most non-trads have to work before departing to medical school (and eternal loans.)

I'm, right at this moment, supervising 32 kids in a high school class as a substitute teacher. (Don't worry, they're on task.)

What are you doing until matriculation day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankfully I'm married to someone who is willing to pick up the slack while I'm in a post-bacc and then in med school. I promised him a couple of years off once I started practicing (although, knowing him, he'll only make a week or two without work before he dies of boredom).

I travel to developing countries and live under $300/month. Problem solved.

Reactions: 1 user
Working two jobs around full-time school. My license for the higher-paying one expires in June, which is perfect timing.

Married for $$, obviously.

But seriously, I saved up from my job before post-bacc and then in this gap year I took a pretty lame heavy part-time job that gave me tons of flexibility for my interviews. My spouse makes enough to really support us, my income is for paying off existing student loans and vacations. I'll be doing this til June, then taking a few weeks to travel, then probably being lazy until August.

I had a lot of jobs...

Fast food
Janitor
Cold storage warehouse picker
Computer sales
Computer repair
Respiratory equipment tech
Respiratory class tutor
ED technician
Respiratory therapist

I work full-time as a teacher and do some private tutoring on the side though I am only taking 8 credits per semester.

Kudos to teachers. It's a full contact sport. I've been doing long term sub jobs throughout the district, and at Title I schools. It's been a total eye opener. The violence, drugs, chaos, and lack of safety these inner city school kids are exposed to daily is heart breaking.

I myself have had police in my class room 5 times last month.

I work full time as a software engineer, and probably will continue working until about 2 weeks before med school starts.

I work as a liaison for a hospice agency. I make pretty good money for being 3 years post grad and having the major I did in college. I work full time and attend school part time. My fiancé is almost done with his apprenticeship with the electrical workers union and once he's done he will make enough to support both of us- but I will probably work until about 2 months before I start med school. Also have a wedding before med school starts.

Drive the amber lamps.

I'm quite a ways to go, but I'm taking two courses per semester and working full-time night shift. I'd love to get down to part time, but being a father of two spoiled brats doesn't really give me much choice. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I travel to developing countries and live under $300/month. Problem solved.
This is pretty much how I got through my post-bacc, plus AirBnB. I'll be living out of a friend's car until medical school.

Last edited:
This is pretty much how I got through my post-bacc, plus AirBnB. I'll be living out of a friend's car until medical school.

Airbnb is a great tool. My mother-in-law is renting our place in Japan for about $100/night. So far, she's pretty happy with the results. I'm planning to buy a condo in another place and set up a renting infrastructure through airbnb. The best thing about this gig is that it's completely unregulated right now. You can make some serious yield in the renting market if you play your cards right.

I work in clinical research in an emergency department. I worked full-time throughout my postbacc. Wish I could say I was able to save up some money but between postbacc tuition and undergrad loans... not so much. I'll be wrapping up my last few studies and hopefully taking a brief vacation (finances permitting!) before school starts.

Scribing and making up the slack by selling things on Ebay. Need to get rid of it for the move anyway!

Great thread!

I work full time as a registered nurse. Soaking up as much money as I can prior to matriculation this summer.

My goal is to only take loans out for the tuition, and use my savings for the cost of living ect.

My school has a pre-matriculation program (1 month prior to convocation). I will be participating in that.

So I will be working until middle June and then stepping away from nursing!

I work as a basic science researcher in academia (used to be a teacher up until July last year) making really bad money. I've been running on a negative budget ever since, using up all my teaching savings for medical school apps/interviews/current living expenses. I'm going to be using the last of my savings for a last-hurrah vacation before school starts

I work as a basic science researcher in academia (used to be a teacher up until July last year) making really bad money. I've been running on a negative budget ever since, using up all my teaching savings for medical school apps/interviews/current living expenses. I'm going to be using the last of my savings for a last-hurrah vacation before school starts
Ah the plight of the former teacher... (I was a Spanish teacher!)

Ah the plight of the former teacher... (I was a Spanish teacher!)

hahaahah well the pay as a teacher was pretty good actually (for a fresh grad)! For my first year, I didn't get to put anything into savings thanks to graduate classes/credentialing classes. But once second year came around, I got to put a "ton" (relative to a 2nd year teacher) of money into savings, which I have since mostly gone through now

Teaching was good pay but the hours man... the hours....hahaha I'm sure you can relate. I feel like even though I'm getting paid almost 50% less now, I'm also having to dedicate more than 50% less of my time to my job.