Howard and Meharry Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Like_Groceries

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain why stats to get into these schools are so low????? On one of the dental stat excel spreadsheet, it said that ppl get into these schools with <2.5 gpa????? even with killer DAT scores and outstanding extracurriculars, How is this acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

The two schools you mentioned are HBCUs. No one can be sure exactly what admissions committees value. I'm assuming URM status, desire to practice serving the under served and minority populations, and experiences/background are heavily weighted at these schools. Having a good undergrad GPA won't make necessarily make you a good clinician. Experience, ability to communicate with patients, and hand skills are what matters most.

Reactions: 1 users
They only accept URMs (specifically African Americans) that show a dedication to serving the underserved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please explain why stats to get into these schools are so low????? On one of the dental stat excel spreadsheet, it said that ppl get into these schools with <2.5 gpa????? even with killer DAT scores and outstanding extracurriculars, How is this acceptable?

I suspect that the adcom at HU looks at applicants holistically. I'm a HU dent student, and my stats were decent when I applied many moons ago (UGPA > 3.8, AA > 22). I've seen students with less than stellar stats do exceedingly well, and I've seen some struggle. DS and life is interesting like that. ;)

Has anyone received an interview invite for Meharry yet, specifically those who submitted their secondaries at the beginning of September ? Also do you all know the average time they send out II's?

Has anyone received an interview invite for Meharry yet, specifically those who submitted their secondaries at the beginning of September ? Also do you all know the average time they send out II's?
I submitted my secondary in August and still haven't heard back