Howard: Best place to live in DC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andre3k

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to live in DC in relation to Howard? I know the the cost of living there is very high. What is the best/cheapest option in terms of living arrangements? Are there any apartments that you know of that are under $1000 a month?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you could do under $1000 a month if you do roommate, but that's just me looking at the packet they gave us at the interview.

I really have no idea other than that, as I'm from CA and not familiar with the area.

I have family out there and what they told me is that DC is going to be really expensive. I will probably be in Silver Springs or Greenbelt which are both in MD but each about 10-15 minutes away from DC. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the campus, but there's a McDonalds not too far, which is on Georgia Avenue (if I remember clearly). I was told that that street also goes into Silver Springs so from there Howard is a straight shot. I still have to go out there and do my research but that's what I've been told. I've heard that a lot of students live outside of DC because its cheaper. I left my interview packet @ my cousin's house when I was out there, but I think I saw a couple of complexes that had relatively decent prices on there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have family out there and what they told me is that DC is going to be really expensive. I will probably be in Silver Springs or Greenbelt which are both in MD but each about 10-15 minutes away from DC. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the campus, but there's a McDonalds not too far, which is on Georgia Avenue (if I remember clearly). I was told that that street also goes into Silver Springs so from there Howard is a straight shot. I still have to go out there and do my research but that's what I've been told. I've heard that a lot of students live outside of DC because its cheaper. I left my interview packet @ my cousin's house when I was out there, but I think I saw a couple of complexes that had relatively decent prices on there.

I heard that some people were living in houses like right around campus. They stay like 4 of 5 people to a house and that cuts down drastically on the cost but I have know idea how to get in on one of those places. Especially from all the way in GA.

i would check with admissions and see if they can put you in touch with some current students. living in DC is not cheap; i have lived in most northeastern cities and is far more expensive here than anywhere but NYC. Your best bang for the buck would be up along the green line. There is a copious amounts of new housing stock in Fort Totten (not a great area) and College Park offers a ton of options for students because UofM is there. Greenbelt has nearly nothing unless you are driving in and not taking metro. Silver Spring, not Silver Springs, offers some options too at a reasonable price. i would check out craigslist DC to get a sense for the rent and housing options in these areas.

I do not know much about the area around Howard. I live in the Upper NW and dont venture over there too much. however u street area / adams morgan / columbia heights / mt pleasant may offer some rowhomes to be shared by 3-4 people and rent would range probably from $800 to 1000, so in the range that the OP is looking for.

best of luck

i would check with admissions and see if they can put you in touch with some current students. living in DC is not cheap; i have lived in most northeastern cities and is far more expensive here than anywhere but NYC. Your best bang for the buck would be up along the green line. There is a copious amounts of new housing stock in Fort Totten (not a great area) and College Park offers a ton of options for students because UofM is there. Greenbelt has nearly nothing unless you are driving in and not taking metro. Silver Spring, not Silver Springs, offers some options too at a reasonable price. i would check out craigslist DC to get a sense for the rent and housing options in these areas.

I do not know much about the area around Howard. I live in the Upper NW and dont venture over there too much. however u street area / adams morgan / columbia heights / mt pleasant may offer some rowhomes to be shared by 3-4 people and rent would range probably from $800 to 1000, so in the range that the OP is looking for.

best of luck

Hahaha...I'm learning :D

Live in Georgetown!!!

I live on Foggy Bottom right now. Its sorta far for Howard though. Living outside DC makes it dificult to get to class... so a lot of people don't do that. I don't know if Howard is directly off of any metro, but if it is, living 2 or 3 stops into virginia wouldn't be too bad?

I live on Foggy Bottom right now. Its sorta far for Howard though. Living outside DC makes it dificult to get to class... so a lot of people don't do that. I don't know if Howard is directly off of any metro, but if it is, living 2 or 3 stops into virginia wouldn't be too bad?

along the metro line in arlington is more expensive to live than most places of DC.

the metro line nearest howard hospital is howard-shaw, on the GREEN LINE. the metro map is here: http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

there are tons of Single family homes in takoma park for rent that are 5-10 min walk to metro. those are ideal for student living in DC if you can find housemates before school.

Hey guys!!!!!!I was hoping to stay in the towers so i could pretty much roll out of bed and walk to class :D . Also i have to say traffic coming from MD can be unpredictable so any one staying in MD, or VA.... consider the distance as well. Personally I racked up a lot of tickets driving and parking in DC so i must admit the driving option is pretty much out....
I hear the East towers has some floors specifically allocated for "professional students"... hopefully i can find a female roomie....:rolleyes:
any one know any useful info about the towers???

I live in DC right now. I don't recommend wandering too far from campus. It's a luxury to be able to walk back and forth with the traffic in teh city. It's defintitely doable... you just have to BE SMARt... start looking early... and be patient with your housing search. New things open up in DC every day you just have to craigslist every day and you'll find something that fits what you're looking for.

Some things to beware of : rats / insect problems / mice
Its a huge Issue in DC so make sure you askthe landlord about it and what not.

I'd stay as close to campus as you can... if you don't mind the metro every day... go for it, but it will get tiresome. especially if you just want to go back for lunch orsomething. Food in DC is expensive and you might as well pay a little more for rent rather than transportatino and food. It really does make a difference if you eat at home more often.

I'm a current Howard student, and I am very cool with a lot of current dental students. The majority do stay off campus in various houses around campus, so that is probably the best route to take. Also, I would look into staying in the East Towers(as some suggested), you pay less than a grand a month, but it's not luxury living, and you will be around undergrads...I know some people wouldn't prefer that. Also, DC is very active on Craigslist in regards to housing. People are always looking for roommates on there. Also, I know housing is important, but if you plan on bringing a vehicle, you may want to stay on top of the parking grind too. Parking around here is VERY limited. Hope that helps.

my friend lives by the school in a pretty nice 3 bedroom place they pay 700 i think?? But im in the same boat as you looking for something between 700-900 close to the school or the metro.

The best place to live in DC is in VA ... just cross the key bridge in to VA and look in Rosslyn. I lived a mile from the key bridge off of Lee Hwy for $500 a mouth in a house with 4 other roommates.

before you take everyone's advice in finding 3-4 other roommates... consider what it means to the house. Make sure it is hte environment you want.

I've lived witha few roommates thinking it would be great.... but it gets messy. and you want to enjoy your living space b/c its your getaway and relaxation place. BE CAREFUL!