Howard College of Pharmacy (Class of 2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello there :) I got accepted into Howard about 6 days ago and I was trying to make my good faith deposit online and for some reason it keep telling me that it can't be process at this time!!!:'( and I'm freaking out because I only have 4 days left to pay I believe and I already did my enrollment deposit and I had no problem with that. I don't know what to do, I sent my acceptance letter already by mail but didn't send the money order. Do you think I can take a money order or just pay with my debit card if I go to the financial office?
please help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there :) I got accepted into Howard about 6 days ago and I was trying to make my good faith deposit online and for some reason it keep telling me that it can't be process at this time!!!:'( and I'm freaking out because I only have 4 days left to pay I believe and I already did my enrollment deposit and I had no problem with that. I don't know what to do, I sent my acceptance letter already by mail but didn't send the money order. Do you think I can take a money order or just pay with my debit card if I go to the financial office?
please help!!!
Congrats on your acceptance! If you're in the DMV area, I would suggest coming straight to our admissions office. Hand Mr. Marlon Prince a check or money order and confirm your admittance. If you mail anything, it takes forever to process. And to be honest, I have never heard of them accepting deposits online before so that must be entirely new. As always, any other questions, feel free to ask!

please help!!!

The same thing happened to me when trying to pay the good faith fee online. I believe there is a glitch in the system. I went ahead and mailed the money order in along with the forms needed to accept the offer of admission (I live in Florida) and emailed Ms. Williams-Fowlkes to let her know. This was two weeks ago and I received notice that it was received today :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Ask me anything about Howard Pharmacy. Its a great place and we have a lot to offer! Current student here!

Hi!
I recently thought of a few more questions; hopefully you'll be able to answer some of them.

1. What percentage of the students graduate on time (within 4 years)?
2. During rotations (IPPE & APPE) does the College of Pharmacy normally have preceptors set up or do students have to find their own sites to complete their pharmacy practice experience?
3. Do many students decided to apply for a residency? If so, do you feel Howard College of Pharmacy is able to generally prepare and place most students who are interested in applying and seeking a residency?
4. If possible, would you be able to describe the schedule for an average day/week of a P1 student? For example: (What amount of time do you spend in class/lab? How much time do you generally use to study ? Are you able to be actively involved in extracurricular activities?)

Hi!
I recently thought of a few more questions; hopefully you'll be able to answer some of them.

1. What percentage of the students graduate on time (within 4 years)?
2. During rotations (IPPE & APPE) does the College of Pharmacy normally have preceptors set up or do students have to find their own sites to complete their pharmacy practice experience?
3. Do many students decided to apply for a residency? If so, do you feel Howard College of Pharmacy is able to generally prepare and place most students who are interested in applying and seeking a residency?
4. If possible, would you be able to describe the schedule for an average day/week of a P1 student? For example: (What amount of time do you spend in class/lab? How much time do you generally use to study ? Are you able to be actively involved in extracurricular activities?)

1) There aren't statistics for that but at a small school, it would be misleading to post any percentage. If 1 person dropped out from a class of 70, you're already looking at a 98.5%. That being said, HUCOP, like any other program, have students leaves of absence or leave entirely for a variety of different reasons, it would not be representative of the school's academic performance.
2) IPPE 1 (retail), IPPE 2 (hospital) and up to three APPEs can be set up by the student if they have a location in mind or want to return to their home state. Otherwise the school will automatically assign you to sites.
3) I would say about a third of each class decides to apply for residency with about half of those applicants getting spots. In the last two years we've had students get placed at a few prestigious locations (2 at Bayer Pharmaceuticals, Walmart Corporate, UNC PGY1/PGY2/MBA program, City of Hope in Los Angeles, etc.) I am a P2 currently so I couldn't comment truly until it's my time to apply fourth year. It would be difficult to say most students who are interested in residency get it simply because everyone is different. Landing a residency is the accumulation of 4 years of coursework, leadership roles, networking, recommendations, work during school, and so many other variables that no two applicants are alike.
4) P1s have a lighter course load their first semester here, it's essentially a step above the pre-reqs for admission. Their second semester, school picks up significantly. Again, I couldn't generalize students time management skills (or lack there of) because no two students are alike. I'll say that my first year, second semester was very stressful because I had never had a course load as large before. I had three leadership positions which made it a little more challenging as well. Fast forward to my second year, second semester, I now have five leadership positions and am getting the best grades of my life, despite a drastic increase in responsibilities and difficulty in courses. I study every single day for at least 6 hours and depending on when an exam is, I may spend even more. It's all a matter of perspective and how a student adapts.

I hope I answered your questions somewhat. No matter the school anyone goes to, the results will differ depending on the student in all honesty. Anything else, please feel free to ask!

Thank-you so much for taking the time to answer questions; I really appreciate it!

It is my understanding that the IPPE/ APPE is completed during the summer semesters during the first, second, and third year, correct? How long is each IPPE/APPE rotation?

Thank-you so much for taking the time to answer questions; I really appreciate it!

It is my understanding that the IPPE/ APPE is completed during the summer semesters during the first, second, and third year, correct? How long is each IPPE/APPE rotation?
IPPE 1 = Summer after P1 year, retail setting, 4 weeks
IPPE 2 = Summer after P2 year, hospital setting, 4 weeks
APPE = Beginning immediately after P3 year, 9 blocks of 5 weeks each, one off block, and at the conclusion of your 9th block is graduation

Last edited:
Hi I applied very late, I have my interview march 26. anyone interviewing that day?

Hi I applied very late, I have my interview march 26. anyone interviewing that day?
I applied late too and I've yet to hear of an interview. With April 9th being the last interview date, I'm pretty concerned.

Hi, so i received an email from Howard saying i need to complete my required pre req courses (which im currently taking) by june. I haven't heard anything else and I noticed that their last interview date is on April 9th. what should i do? is there another interview date in the future? I'm kinda nervous!

We are on rolling admissions. I'm not quite sure when you guys applied but I myself applied on the deadline day. I think I got an interview offer mid-February and selected one in mid-March. If you have not heard anything as of yet, I would suggest to call our admissions office and inquire about the status of your application. It doesn't hurt and can possibly give you an answer.

Hello there, I applied on 2/1 and got my call for an interview today. I should be taking my interview at 0830 this Saturday.
My biggest concern is the math quiz, as I haven't been doing any math related classes for about 3+ years.
Is there any guidelines of what'll be on the quiz or things I should brush up on? I took my PCAT last year and got 85PR on the math section but it's been over a year since I've looked at anything math related. I might just do my math practice sections that I did last year because I'm really unsure what might be on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there, I applied on 2/1 and got my call for an interview today. I should be taking my interview at 0830 this Saturday.
My biggest concern is the math quiz, as I haven't been doing any math related classes for about 3+ years.
Is there any guidelines of what'll be on the quiz or things I should brush up on? I took my PCAT last year and got 85PR on the math section but it's been over a year since I've looked at anything math related. I might just do my math practice sections that I did last year because I'm really unsure what might be on it.
The math section wasreally not bad when I took it. It was just a lot about conversion (easy conversion) and everyday math knowledge. I do not like math at all and was scarred for that section but to my surprise, it was really easy. I don't think it's something to worry about but if you do worry about it, a brush up on algebra wouldn't hurt. I hope this helps.

I have my interview this Saturday as well and I got an email saying we have to do any presentation. I suck at public speaking (something im working on) and I hope they wont judge me on how badly I mess up.

The math should be the least of your worries in all honesty. There is nothing on there you cannot do without a calculator. The math sections on the PCAT would be a great place to start. Focus on what you want to present as a hopeful student to whomever will interview you. First impressions are EVERYTHING. Come ready to show us who you are as an applicant and why you would add to our school.

I have my interview this Saturday as well and I got an email saying we have to do any presentation. I suck at public speaking (something im working on) and I hope they wont judge me on how badly I mess up.
Do your best! I will be at the interview if you need any pointers but I'd say, don't psych yourself out. Public speaking is becoming synonymous with pharmacy as we are constantly asked to do presentations, consultations, among other things. We could all be the best pharmacist in the world, but if we psych ourselves out from what we know we're capable of, nobody will be there to appreciate your craft.

Best of luck to both of you! You guys will do great! :)

We are on rolling admissions. I'm not quite sure when you guys applied but I myself applied on the deadline day. I think I got an interview offer mid-February and selected one in mid-March. If you have not heard anything as of yet, I would suggest to call our admissions office and inquire about the status of your application. It doesn't hurt and can possibly give you an answer.

I applied February 27th. I called them. They said I'm still under review. But the way in which he said it leads me to believe my application isn't as strong as others and have me on hold for the time being. Could be wrong

only time will tell. Howard is kind of slow with applications so you will get your answer eventually. don't give up!

hey man I was there at 8:30 this morning as well I was the black guy in the black stripe suit and yellow tie sitting in the front row in room 207. I i thought the interview went well, the people at Howard are very friendly, I really felt at home. The student ambassadors where really nice and made me feel really relax.

hey man I was there at 8:30 this morning as well I was the black guy in the black stripe suit and yellow tie sitting in the front row in room 207. I i thought the interview went well, the people at Howard are very friendly, I really felt at home. The student ambassadors where really nice and made me feel really relax.

I was there for the 1200 interviews. I ended up getting in the mid 30s on the math test, I didn't study at all. Finished like 17 mins early to boot. Had a really mixed feel for the entire process. Everything just felt extremely relaxed and too laid back for something as important as this. Just wished it was taken a little more serious. Also found out that this one guy applied to Howard like 5 times and this was his first time getting an interview.

The buildings and location threw me off, but I enjoyed the students and the faculty. The facilities were very nice, as well. I'm pretty sure that I would enjoy going here, but it would take me awhile before getting settled.

I was there for the 1200 interviews. I ended up getting in the mid 30s on the math test, I didn't study at all. Finished like 17 mins early to boot. Had a really mixed feel for the entire process. Everything just felt extremely relaxed and too laid back for something as important as this. Just wished it was taken a little more serious. Also found out that this one guy applied to Howard like 5 times and this was his first time getting an interview.

The buildings and location threw me off, but I enjoyed the students and the faculty. The facilities were very nice, as well. I'm pretty sure that I would enjoy going here, but it would take me awhile before getting settled.
hey! what was the maths like? like how can one prepare for it? and you said in the mid 30s is it out of 100?

I'm sorry you felt our interview was too relaxed. At Howard, the way we see things is that anyone invited for an interview has the credentials to attend our school. But the difference is don't feel a super stressful interview is the best way to see each candidate's personality and charisma. We also let our students play large roles in the interview process because it's so much easier to get the answers you want from current students rather than 40-year, distinguished faculty. Not many other, if any, schools are willing to give candidates such an unadulterated look into their programs. I hope you will consider us to further your career! Best of luck to whatever you decide!

hey! what was the maths like? like how can one prepare for it? and you said in the mid 30s is it out of 100?

Low 40s, like 41 problems I think. I can't remember my exact number but it was low-mid 30s. If you know fractions/percentages or can work well with them, you're fine.

I'm sorry you felt our interview was too relaxed. At Howard, the way we see things is that anyone invited for an interview has the credentials to attend our school. But the difference is don't feel a super stressful interview is the best way to see each candidate's personality and charisma. We also let our students play large roles in the interview process because it's so much easier to get the answers you want from current students rather than 40-year, distinguished faculty. Not many other, if any, schools are willing to give candidates such an unadulterated look into their programs. I hope you will consider us to further your career! Best of luck to whatever you decide!

It was just particularly odd. I've been to menial job interviews that were taken more serious than this, so it seemed way out. I think not having a degree of seriousness lets people get too comfortable. In a sense, I guess seeing how they act when there's no stress involved is something to take into consideration as well. People having a jovial time except when the questioning section came around probably threw people off as well. I thought all the students that came out were nice and extremely down-to-earth. From my personal experience, talking to the staff after questioning was more fun. Just me though, I guess.

I got my acceptance email today. interviewed 3/26
accepted 4/3

I'm stuck in between HUCOP and UNE's Pharm program, there are pros and cons to both, how did you choose that Howard was right for you?

Hello,
I just got accepted into Howard University College of Pharmacy, and also into Mercer University College of Pharmacy. Howard was originally my first choice, I want something new. But I feel like I don't see any good reviews about it. I want to know how the school reputation is compared to all the other schools in the area up there. Mercer has a very good reputation in the Georgia, does Howard have the same reputation in that area? I have noticed that the NAPLEX pass rate for Howard is not very good, and I was told to run away from schools who's pass rate are below the 90s. I was wondering if you guys think about everything.
Wow im having the same issue except with University of New England College of pharmacy, and I need to make a choice soon but I don't know what to do

I'm stuck in between HUCOP and UNE's Pharm program, there are pros and cons to both, how did you choose that Howard was right for you?
I chose Howard for a couple of reasons. I knew I wanted to do a post-graduate program and I had to stand out 1) Howard is a trendsetter in that we have more international rotations than most states combined 2) I didn't want to simply do retail and being in the DC area gives me unparalleled access to government entities and other industry organizations are available to me where they wouldn't be at most other schools 3) I enjoyed the smaller school atmosphere. The interview made me feel welcomed and ever since I continued my education here I've felt the same. Faculty knows your name, all the students know and want to help you.

In all honesty, I did not get too hung up over the scores that Howard receives. For one, a few bad apples at a small school makes the numbers plummet. The same can't be said at a school with hundreds. Second, I have never compared myself to other students so I knew I would have to put in the work no matter where I went. Going to a school with lower scores doesn't automatically mean everyone comes here and fails out. There is absolutely no truth to that at all. Just like if you go to a school with a 98% pass rate on the NAPLEX, it guarantees nothing. Everyone school fits every single applicant different. To me, I am about to hit my P3 year and I already know Howard will set me vastly apart from my competition post graduate. I have the leadership roles, internships, and connections from here that I would not have gotten else where.

Hopefully my response was not to late for you but I wish you the best of luck no matter where you go! Please feel free to ask further questions.

Haven't heard anything from this school. Already been accepted to Notre Dame. Wait-listed for Purdue. But I really wanted to go to Howard(strong advocate for HBCU). No rejection letter. No wait list. Nothing. They say they're still reviewing my application.

It's almost May.

Won't be going here even if they call me in for an interview. Congrats to the rest of you though.

I chose Howard for a couple of reasons. I knew I wanted to do a post-graduate program and I had to stand out 1) Howard is a trendsetter in that we have more international rotations than most states combined 2) I didn't want to simply do retail and being in the DC area gives me unparalleled access to government entities and other industry organizations are available to me where they wouldn't be at most other schools 3) I enjoyed the smaller school atmosphere. The interview made me feel welcomed and ever since I continued my education here I've felt the same. Faculty knows your name, all the students know and want to help you.

In all honesty, I did not get too hung up over the scores that Howard receives. For one, a few bad apples at a small school makes the numbers plummet. The same can't be said at a school with hundreds. Second, I have never compared myself to other students so I knew I would have to put in the work no matter where I went. Going to a school with lower scores doesn't automatically mean everyone comes here and fails out. There is absolutely no truth to that at all. Just like if you go to a school with a 98% pass rate on the NAPLEX, it guarantees nothing. Everyone school fits every single applicant different. To me, I am about to hit my P3 year and I already know Howard will set me vastly apart from my competition post graduate. I have the leadership roles, internships, and connections from here that I would not have gotten else where.

Hopefully my response was not to late for you but I wish you the best of luck no matter where you go! Please feel free to ask further questions.
Thank you for your response! I chose Howard!

Does anyone know if there is a HUCOP C/O 2020 facebook page?

Does anyone know if there is a HUCOP C/O 2020 facebook page?
Yes we have a facebook page. Its called HU College of Pharmacy-Class of 2020

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't heard anything from this school. Already been accepted to Notre Dame. Wait-listed for Purdue. But I really wanted to go to Howard(strong advocate for HBCU). No rejection letter. No wait list. Nothing. They say they're still reviewing my application.

It's almost May.

Won't be going here even if they call me in for an interview. Congrats to the rest of you though.
I'm sorry that our admissions office did not get back to you. Not quite sure what happened here, whether there was a mix up of sorts. I am sure you will do amazing things no matter you go, best of luck to you man!

I'm sorry that our admissions office did not get back to you. Not quite sure what happened here, whether there was a mix up of sorts. I am sure you will do amazing things no matter you go, best of luck to you man!
nevermind i found it, thank you !!

Now that interviews are officially over, we can open up this thread to questions regarding admissions, housing, living in DC, or whatever it may be.

Hi, what do PBP students normally do for housing?

Hi, what do PBP students normally do for housing?
When I did it in 2014, I just signed a lease at a new place. Depending on if you're from the area or not, I'd suggest finding a sublease if need be.

Hey, regarding the PBP, anything recommendations on how to lightly prepare for it? Also if one has already filled out a FAFSA when should an application for the GradPlus loan be submitted?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm moving down from NYC, any ideas on where to look for an apartment/ anyone need a roomie ?

Hey, regarding the PBP, anything recommendations on how to lightly prepare for it? Also if one has already filled out a FAFSA when should an application for the GradPlus loan be submitted?

Honestly I would suggest enjoying most of your summer before you start school. Having PBP and going straight into the first semester can burn out a lot of students so don't go all out studying before PBP. If you want you I can forward you slides from 2 years ago to give you an idea of the course load.
And I suggest filling out everything asap.

I'm moving down from NYC, any ideas on where to look for an apartment/ anyone need a roomie ?
Try Craigslist or wait until you're added to the facebook group. if you're looking for a sublease, I know many of the female students who are looking for a sublease. You could try that until you find a spot of your own.

Honestly I would suggest enjoying most of your summer before you start school. Having PBP and going straight into the first semester can burn out a lot of students so don't go all out studying before PBP. If you want you I can forward you slides from 2 years ago to give you an idea of the course load.
And I suggest filling out everything asap.
I would love for you to forward me those slide just do I can have an idea of what to expect

Slides would be extremely help if to just ease my worries lol.

Hi guys, sorry for the delay, if you're interested in looking at what PBP slides will be like, PM me your email and I'll send you the google drive with all 5 weeks inside.

For those of you who are is still waiting, I will be declining my admission just got accepted into my first choice. Good luck y'all

Hi, I'm looking to apply ED for this year's cycle and I see that it says your application has to be especially solid. My gpa and pcat are on the lower end but I have a lot of experience and extracurriculars. Howard is my number one choice though, which is why I want to apply ED, but I'm wondering if Howard would consider my app ED considering they want strong applicants for ED. Do you think I should apply ED to show my interest anyways? Or maybe contact Marlon Prince asking him for advice?