Howard interview!!! Should I go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I just received an interview invitation from Howard....I was wondering what you guys thought of the school and if it's worth going so late...I have turned down interviews at some other places like New Jersey Med, NOVA (DO). I'm pretty much set on attending Western/COMP this Fall, but my family is telling me just to go check it out and see what they have to offer....any thoughts? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Don said:
hey guys, I just received an interview invitation from Howard....I was wondering what you guys thought of the school and if it's worth going so late...I have turned down interviews at some other places like New Jersey Med, NOVA (DO). I'm pretty much set on attending Western/COMP this Fall, but my family is telling me just to go check it out and see what they have to offer....any thoughts? thanks

Do it! :D

What do you have to lose?

ellemarii said:
Do it! :D

What do you have to lose?

hey girl, can't sleep? :) well you are right I have nothing significant to loose, except MONEY!!! I don't know...........they gave me a possible date for the middle of June.....will think about it for a while..... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the curriculum/website and information and see if any of it interests you. Also, if it's nearby where you live, go. If not, consider whether the cost of traveling there will be worth it (given how much you like COMP compared to Howard). With all thing being equal, go.

Dr. Don said:
hey girl, can't sleep? :) well you are right I have nothing significant to loose, except MONEY!!! I don't know...........they gave me a possible date for the middle of June.....will think about it for a while..... :confused:

hey you...nope, i'm actually working...well, kind of! browsing sdn and getting paid for it! :laugh:

i don't know too much about the school itself, but if the money is the only factor, i'd had to say that it would be worth it to lose it. you'll never know what you missed if you didn't at least check it out. from my own experience, i found that i liked some schools more than i would have ever imagined after visiting (i think you know what i mean) and vice versa.

but if you are 100% certain that you want to go to comp - decline and don't look back.

best of luck! keep me updated!

If you're not set on comp, then go. You might discover that HU is a better fit cor you. Congratulations!

BTW, how did you get the invite? By snail mail, e-mail or phone?

I wasn't going to go to my interview at Howard b/c I had heard a lot of negative things about it...but I actually ended up loving it. You'll get a much better feel for the school as well as if you feel you can fit in there by going on campus and experiencing the whole interview proces. Also, they interview through June, so getting a letter at this point is not out of the ordinary for them. :)

Hey there Dr. Don,

If you can get a decently-priced flight from LA to DC - go for it. If this is going to put you out, do as everyone has suggested and go to COMP without looking back...

Best of luck with your decision,
H&T

got an interview offer also yesterday by e-mail. probably not gonna go though I'm sick of the interview season and I already have been accepted @ another school. But on 2nd thought I just might go since i'm right here in DC

Heal&Teach said:
Hey there Dr. Don,

If you can get a decently-priced flight from LA to DC - go for it. If this is going to put you out, do as everyone has suggested and go to COMP without looking back...

Best of luck with your decision,
H&T

yeah makes sense

Also bradwilkins, yeah nothing much to lose, if ur curious enough, might as well

I had a good time at my interview at Howard. It was different.

Hey Dr. Don,

It seems like you want to go. I think you owe it to yourself to go so that you won't regret it later and think what if. All you really are wasting is money. Unless you absolutely have no money, I think you should go. :thumbup:

hey people thank you for the input. So I'm seriously considering interviewing there seeing that I found a very cheap ticket ($200) roundtrip, so for those of you hu students, can you tell me which hotels/motels are closest to howard? Also, affordable...thank you!

Definitely go to the interview and good luck!!!

I'm just wondering if the OP went to the interview. If so, how did it go?

Jamaican MD said:
I'm just wondering if the OP went to the interview. If so, how did it go?
hey Jamaican MD, to answer your question. No, I decided to turn down the interview because after thinking about it for a while, I knew that even if accepted this late in the application process, I still wouldn't choose Howard over Western. Western is just a better fit for me. I had already turned down interviews at New Jersey Med, and NOVA southeastern (DO). If these schools would have offered me interviews earlier in the cycle, I would have definitely gone and checked them out. Either way, good luck to those of you who did interview at Howard and/or will be attending there. Take care

Dr. DOn