Howard Is The Best Med School.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
i dont get it... what was so bad about my comment? i didn't mean to offend anyone just made a small joke... (i will be applying to howard med myself)
sorry if my comment/post was offending/negative:(

That's hilarious. The best is when the profs get involved, they look so lame.

I'm not familiar with Howard, is it a....minority-oriented school?

i dont get it... what was so bad about my comment? i didn't mean to offend anyone just made a small joke... (i will be applying to howard med myself)
Check this out my friends and make sure to apply to Howard if you have not been accepted to med school!

To me it reads: Check out this video of the Howard students. Its clear that the school is pretty easy because they have too much time on their hands, so for all of you that haven't been accepted to any other medical schools...apply to Howard. If they accept students that would make a video like this, they would surely accept you...apply to Howard.

That is basically how I read it. If that wasn't your intent then I apolagize.

I read it as -- one should only apply to Howard if they haven't been accepted to any other med school, and that there is an upside to being in that situation: Howard students make ridiculous videos.

Also, the thread title seemed sarcastic.

But I can see that might not have been your intention.

I actually quite liked the video, except for when the guy went on a rampage through the hallways. That part was weird and unnecessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was funny. I definitely had to share that on Facebook.

Check this out my friends and make sure to apply to Howard if you have not been accepted to med school!

To me it reads: Check out this video of the Howard students. Its clear that the school is pretty easy because they have too much time on their hands, so for all of you that haven't been accepted to any other medical schools...apply to Howard. If they accept students that would make a video like this, they would surely accept you...apply to Howard.

Agree, and this is exactly how it was intended to be read. Pretty ignorant if you ask me.

OP, if you really didn't mean it that way, then you need to learn how to phrase things better.

I think its just a misunderstanding - he didnt seem as if he was insulting the school to me, though I may be wrong. On a lighter note, check out this video from the class above us at Howard. Its as funny if not funnier than the one posted above http://youtube.com/watch?v=_0zhLbYAtkM

oh now i see how you could read it both ways when i read it i thought he was just saying apply to med school here b/c it looks like they're having fun and i couldn't understand the if you haven't been admitted yet part

oh now i see how you could read it both ways when i read it i thought he was just saying apply to med school here b/c it looks like they're having fun and i couldn't understand the if you haven't been admitted yet part

Yes this is what i meant. I was trying to say if you have not been accepted to med school apply here b/c it is fun, etc and not to make fun of the school. I apologize again and will make things more clear when I post. :luck:

Let's all take offense and jump on a poster for mentioning a historically black med school in such context ... :rolleyes:

Go to lab and get brain on my white coat..lol:laugh:

Kicking dental students out of school with my white coat...

The OP didn't use this to attack Howard, but CollegeHumor.com does seem to attack Howard based on the video.

BTW I agree with you as far as attacking Howard goes, it's BS since so many other med schools make videos but I haven't seen anyone suggest that they're not hard working, so I think CollegeHumor.com is out of line there.

But, the OP didn't attack Howard, I think the OP found the video rather enjoyable, so don't lash out at the wrong person here. It's easy to assume that other people are out to attack...but they really aren't.

Edit: Didn't realize everyone had already realized this misunderstanding, although I notice that nobody else mentioned the actual caption at CollegeHumor.com being out of line. I think that's part of why DoctaJay read the OP's post that way, he probably clicked the link and subconciously connected the negative message at CollegeHumor with the OP's post and thought the OP meant the same thing.

You don't really need to apologize, your post itself wasn't offensive, but people here will sometimes assume you mean the worst.

But the caption at CollegeHumor.com could be read as somewhat racist, so it might be better to link the video at a website that doesn't have a caption bashing Howard for it next time ;) or people might just assume you share the same feelings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1_GJk1_KQY has the video btw =p

You don't really need to apologize, your post itself wasn't offensive, but people here will sometimes assume you mean the worst.

But the caption at CollegeHumor.com could be read as somewhat racist, so it might be better to link the video at a website that doesn't have a caption bashing Howard for it next time ;) or people might just assume you share the same feelings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1_GJk1_KQY has the video btw =p
Why is it that this could be considered racist? MAYBE they're being sarcastic, as in "these future doctors are screwing around making a video when they could be curing cancer." It is a humor site after all. :rolleyes: Just because the people in the video are black and something negative was said about them doesn't mean it's racist. It IS in fact possible to criticize a group of individuals who happen to be black and NOT be racist.

The same comment could be applied to any of those videos. The one from NYMC comes to mind. "If you weren't covering a stupid Justin Timberlake song, maybe you could have cured cancer by now..." (Silly claim anyway; further proof that the original comment was simply intended to be humorous.)

So, let's all put the race cards BACK in our pockets until the next AA thread comes along.

I agree with DoctaJay, that's the way I read it too.

But moto, I think you meant to say: "Check this out my friends and make sure to apply to Howard if you have not applied (substitute 'applied' for 'been accepted') to med school"

smart move moto :thumbup:

The Mr. Will this be on the exam is the funniest video clip i have ever seen.

thanks nn11. (I did not even know about the college humor website and received it from a friend on facebook)

It might not neccessarily have had racist intentions but when you're telling the students of a school to stop slacking and it's a black school...well, unless you've also trashed other med school vids it's a bad idea.

And while I agree that they might have just been saying it generically, but as you can tell from many of the responses here to what the OP wrote (which wasn't even an attack on the school) it'll easily come off as racist.

BTW I wasn't saying explcitly that CollegeHumor is evil and racist, I wrote that the caption *could* be read as somewhat racist, much more so than the OP's post as it's actually explcitily negative and about a black school. And mostly I pointed this out since I think that negativity ended up bleeding into people's interpretations of the OP's post as racist.

I don't usually play the racism card on SDN anyways, so don't think I'm playing race cards just because, nor am I extra sensitive to possible racism against blacks (I'm not black[people tend to be more sensitive about possible racism towards their race]).

Why is it that this could be considered racist? MAYBE they're being sarcastic, as in "these future doctors are screwing around making a video when they could be curing cancer." It is a humor site after all. :rolleyes: Just because the people in the video are black and something negative was said about them doesn't mean it's racist. It IS in fact possible to criticize a group of individuals who happen to be black and NOT be racist.

The same comment could be applied to any of those videos. The one from NYMC comes to mind. "If you weren't covering a stupid Justin Timberlake song, maybe you could have cured cancer by now..." (Silly claim anyway; further proof that the original comment was simply intended to be humorous.)

So, let's all put the race cards BACK in our pockets until the next AA thread comes along.

thanks nn11. (I did not even know about the college humor website and received it from a friend on facebook)

Aww, not changing to youtube instead? Goddamn racist! :p

Pitt has the best I've seen.

good thing u changed it. Make sure u r clearer on ur personal statement though:D
U dont wanna be misunderstood in that respect. PM me ur name so that I can look out for u:)

Dude, you need to relax.

Hard working people blowing off steam. It thought it was funny.

I also like the Pitt "PBL" vid.! :thumbup:

I thought this video was pretty inspirational. To me it shows you can still be cool while getting an education which i think is a positive message to send to inner city blacks.