sassykru

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Has anyone heard anything from Howard lately? I know they're pretty resistant to telephone calls, trust me I know. But has anyone heard any news lately or know anything?

jsnuka

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
What type of information are you looking for, specifically?

What makes you say/think they are resistant to phone calls?

sassykru

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
R they still sending out invites for interviews?

About the Ads

jsnuka

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Yes, they are.

What gives with the phone call stuff?:confused:

premed2007

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Washington DC
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
As far as I know the interview session is not closed. And they didnt seem resistant to me calling in and asking questions. Good luck to you!

jsnuka

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Get the info you need/want and keep it moving, eh?:confused:

Interesting.:laugh:

sassykru

10+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
I'm not trying to bash Howard and you guys might have had a splendid experience with them. Power to you. I just can speak from my experiences and that is that whenever I called I was told that any info will be sent by e-mail and it seemed like I was bothering them. I called Meharry and the lady was about to leave for a meeting and she took the time to answer my question and responded to my e-mail. So don't tell me that I have no basis for my statement that they seemed resistant to phone calls. There are wonderful aspects of Howard and there are not so wonderful aspects of the school, so lets not try to pretend like they have the most efficient admission process in the world .

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
USA
doctajay.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The only problem I have had is that Howard doesn't actually answer the phone or e-mails. Many times the phone will ring until the answering machine picks up, or the person that answers the phone can't answer my question. And overall, Ms. Walk "receives" my emails, but never returns them. Hey I know that Howard is understaffed, so I'm not downing them, but it is true that it takes time to get info from them. They are on point though when it comes to the length of time it takes them to offer an acceptance.

jsnuka

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I would actually like to hear other thoughts on this topic i.e. the courtesy of the HUMCOM staff and the timeliness of return calls/emails.

I have my thoughts, opinions on it, but I would like to see more evidence of the same or to the contrary before I share it.:cool:

GuzzyRon

Son of the Son of Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Under the shadow of the Almighty
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The only problem I have had is that Howard doesn't actually answer the phone or e-mails. Many times the phone will ring until the answering machine picks up, or the person that answers the phone can't answer my question. And overall, Ms. Walk "receives" my emails, but never returns them. Hey I know that Howard is understaffed, so I'm not downing them, but it is true that it takes time to get info from them. They are on point though when it comes to the length of time it takes them to offer an acceptance.

My experience with Howard has been the opposite. Not once since I applied have I called and no one answered (well, except the Financial Aid ofc) - and I have called admissions 10 - 15 times since last summer when I applied.

And, interestingly, Ms. Walk always returns my emails - even if it is a one-liner (again, except once when she was out of the office on a well-deserved break).

premed2007

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Washington DC
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
For my part (obviously others feel differently) Howard has answered my phones calls and responded to my emails. The only thing was that I had to call them to send me a interview email before the interview but that was no big deal, they sent it to me right away. When I called them for my decision they answered and Ms. Walk let me know.

Others have different experiences and I can understand that and may not be happy with Howard for whatever reasons.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
USA
doctajay.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm certainly not unhappy with Howard. I guess I've just experienced the unorganized side of Howard, but I know that they strive for perfection. When/if we get to Howard, we should try to help our school. Suggestions:
1) More professionally looking website
2) Online secondary application, with electronic submission
3) Embedded videos on the website with video testimonials of current students
etc.

Stuff like that. But they gave my fiancee an interview invitation, so I'm in love with them right now (pending their final decision, lol).

jsnuka

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I'm certainly not unhappy with Howard. I guess I've just experienced the unorganized side of Howard, but I know that they strive for perfection. When/if we get to Howard, we should try to help our school. Suggestions:
1) More professionally looking website
2) Online secondary application, with electronic submission
3) Embedded videos on the website with video testimonials of current students
etc.

Stuff like that. But they gave my fiancee an interview invitation, so I'm in love with them right now (pending their final decision, lol).

AGREED!!!!!!!!! Phenomenal ideas.:thumbup:

The lady who answers the phone regularly, isa TRIP!!!!!!!!!! I am sure she has been at Howard for a while and this is where she has landed, but she CLEARLY does not have a good grasp of her role. She needs to be reassigned--IMMEDIATELY.

Ms. Walk has ALWAYS come through for me.

I do not recall how many of you attend HBCU's now, but if you do not and you are looking to or expecting to attend one, be aware that HBCUs have a certain "culture."

I went to Howard for undergrad several years ago. In many respects things are the same and in others things are different and have changed for the better.

There was and probably still is a popular truism about Howard and I think about most HBCUs, " Howard is a microcosm of life."

While a typical experience at majority institutions for sure, students are/were not coddled at Howard. The same frustrations that you have to go through to get something done in the "real world". In that regard, it is a good thing and something that will be beneficial in the long run when, as an alumnus, you can develop an appreciation of your Howard experience.

Certainly, things in the Admissions Office could be better and from where it was years ago, it sounds like it has indeed improved. In time, it should continue to get better and maybe some of us will be a part of that mix.:) :luck:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.