Howard requires 17 in any area, while having ave. DAT of 16AA and 15PAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
X

xxxTheDonxxx

How can this be when howard requires 17 or above in ANY section while their average DAT and PAT are 16 and 15. This means that there are people who got in with 13 and 14. Something is not right here, folks!

Members don't see this ad.

what year were the stats collected. It could be that they have raised their standards since the number of applicants have been increasing every single year. Average entering DAT score might have been 17-18 5 years ago, but it has probably risen to 19-20 these past few years due to the increasing number of applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe the admission standards have risen drastically in Howard these past two years? That's one possibilty. Who knows how often ADEA updates their guidebook.

It means they're accepting minorities that have ****ty stats. What don't you get? If you're a minority, you have a free ticket...it's the truth. I have a friend that is 1/8th Native American and he got into med school at UW with a 24 MCAT score and a 3.4 GPA. My boss keeps telling me how easy it is to get into dental school because his brother and sister had GPA's of 3.0 and DAT scores of 18. I wondered for a sec...then duh, his family is Vietnamese.

I'm seriously contemplating painting my skin black.

KOM said:
It means they're accepting minorities that have ****ty stats. What don't you get? If you're a minority, you have a free ticket...it's the truth. I have a friend that is 1/8th Native Alaskan and he got into med school at UW with a 24 MCAT score and a 3.4 GPA. My boss keeps telling me how easy it is to get into dental school because his brother and sister had GPA's of 3.0 and DAT scores of 18. I wondered for a sec...then duh, his family is Vietnamese.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: this made my day. oh boy! KOM you are the funniest lol

Notoriousjae said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: this made my day. oh boy! KOM you are the funniest lol

You suppose I'm gonna start the age old debate again? Bring it.

KOM said:
You suppose I'm gonna start the age old debate again? Bring it.

Im not interested in starting up any debate, but since when were vietnamese people considered minorities?

Envision said:
Im not interested in starting up any debate, however, since when were vietnamese people considered minorities?

When they're not in Vietnam.

the last time i merely suggested applying to howard to someone seeking advice about his chances if he happened to be a minority and it wasnt too well received by some people. I cant even imagine some of the responses you might get KOM. But hey its the truth and let the truth be told.

Envision said:
Im not interested in starting up any debate, however, since when were vietnamese people considered minorities?

Good question...maybe they're not minorities anymore.

HermeytheElf said:
When they're not in Vietnam.

With that standard...i would think virtually all asian ethnic groups (and more) would be considered a minority...which i don't believe is the reality of things. or perhaps i misunderstood what you mean hermey.

Don't we all come from the samn damn ape out of sub-saharan africa anyways? I mean, so what if my lineage decided to move a bit north...take a breather from the sun and develop a lighter pigment.

Members don't see this ad :)
KOM said:
Don't we all come from the samn damn ape out of sub-saharan africa anyways? I mean, so what if my lineage decided to move a bit north...take a breather from the sun and develop a lighter pigment.

what....are you calling me dark?! haha, j/k :D

xxxTheDonxxx said:
How can this be when howard requires 17 or above in ANY section while their average DAT and PAT are 16 and 15. This means that there are people who got in with 13 and 14. Something is not right here, folks!

hehe, well if its in ANY subject, than ya its possible to get average of 15 or 16. hehe j/k.

KOM said:
lol

What do you guys think about this idea? You know the show "black/white" that aired on HBO I believe. Well, suppose a person created two different AADSAS accounts...etc. etc.

I would pay to watch that...

Please don't get me started...I'm no racist by any means and am getting married outside of my race, but the uber-sensitive people will probably want to ban me when I'm done because, obviously, my teachers failed to brainwash me with unsupported "truths" regarding a few simple subjects. I think I'll unsubscribe now...I don't wanna get started...this is a great resource to health/medicine students.

I'm going to recommend anybody with strong views opposite of the "politically correct" nature unsubscribe with me.

*officially unsubscribed*

tinman831 said:
Didn't help me one bit when I was applying to dental school. :p

Here all this time I thought you were a pug in a party hat...wow thanks for clearing that one up.

And for the record, Vietnamese living in the U.S. ARE in a minority, but it's not going to help with admission to dental school. Sorry.

I applogize, i was trying to be funny and in no way was I purposely trying to offend anyone. So, if i offended you, I am sorry.

dontbam said:
let's not get too racist around here but all i gotta say is that if you're on this board, reading this, you are definetly NOT a minority, how do i know? because if you were, you wouldn't be able to afford a computer to view this thread!!

no offense

That comment was over the line and you know it. You're a douchebag. No offense.

Ignoring the idiots on this board, I'm going to try and answer the original question. Howard may say that they require a 17, but that isn't true. Many people get in with stats lower than that. It doesn't make any sense. To respond to the assumption that if youre a minority you can get into Howard with any score, you're wrong. I went to Howard undergrad, had a 17AA, 3.0+ g.p.a and still didnt get in. People with lower scores than me got in!! Anyway, I'm not wasting my time applying there again, but if that's your school of choice, go for it...

HermeytheElf said:
That comment was over the line and you know it. You're a douchebag. No offense.

Indeed. It scares me that some of these ignorant people are going to be dentists. :eek: :eek:

KOM said:
It means they're accepting minorities that have ****ty stats. What don't you get? If you're a minority, you have a free ticket...it's the truth. I have a friend that is 1/8th Native American and he got into med school at UW with a 24 MCAT score and a 3.4 GPA. My boss keeps telling me how easy it is to get into dental school because his brother and sister had GPA's of 3.0 and DAT scores of 18. I wondered for a sec...then duh, his family is Vietnamese.

I'm vietnamese and howard sent that information to me. Vietnamese people are not considered minority in the health profession, we're considered just asians...goes along with the korean, japanese, and chinese. Bad assumption! :thumbdown:

Does Howard consider Vietnamese under represented minorities in dentistry? How about the rest of the southeast peninsula?

xxxTheDonxxx said:
I'm vietnamese and howard sent that information to me. Vietnamese people are not considered minority in the health profession, we're considered just asians...goes along with the korean, japanese, and chinese. Bad assumption! :thumbdown:

Ah, well then, it appears that maybe the interview is where these guys shined. That's re-assuring actually...I'd hate to think it's all just a numbers game.

i dont know why people say if you are a minority, then you are automatically going to get into a dental school. I purchased the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools for this year and the majority of the entering classes in ALL of the colleges are white...People who complain about this sort of thing are just insecure in their abilities as a student and person. It is pretty sad... :thumbup:

Stats for Howard:

STATISTICS ON FALL 2004 CLASS
- The average age ranged from 21 to 24
- 55% are females
- 78% are underrepresented minorities
- Class size: 83
- Average GPA: 3.04
- Average DAT Total Science: 15
- National Board Results: Average passing score Part I 80% and Part II 83%

Howard is Black oriented school. if you are not black, don t even bother applying.

and one more thing. Being minority in school admission process means being black or hispanic. that is what I have seen so far.. Asians? no.

So. To take advantage of minority thing in admission, be either black or hispanic.

and sometimes I really wish I would be born black or hispanic. they get into schools so easy with low stats... that is true.

In fact,,, it s like..
Relatively harsh admission criteria and small number of spots for hardworking so called majority people and Asians, AND generous admission criteria + a good number of spots for minorities ( black + hispanic)

KOM said:

Some of the Vietnamese in my class are way a head of me. They dominate in one and/or another subject. Not sure where your boss' brother and sister went but I sure know that these Vietnamese people in my class have the knowledge and numbers to justify their being there.

Mach band said:
Some of the Vietnamese in my class are way a head of me. They dominate in one and/or another subject. Not sure where your boss' brother and sister went but I sure know that these Vietnamese people in my class have the knowledge and numbers to justify their being there.

No doubt...they're very bright.