Howard,Tulane& Meharry Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizbeth

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interviewing with these med schools.Does anyone have info about quality of lectures, labs, clinical rotations & residencies of these schools, especially like to hear from med students of these schools.Any pertinent info is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if you could post your stats and other activities you had done. I am strongly considering those schools.
Thanks

Rocky

I have a suggestion for you that will get you this information AND enable you to better prepare for your interviews. It will, however, be more expensive both financially and time wise, but the eventual payoff may make it worthwhile. You have already invested so much in time, cost and anxiety in your premedical education, why skimp now at this important juncture?

Arrange to arrive for your interview as early as possible (no later than noon) on the day before the interview. Check in to wherever you will be staying, drop your gear, freshen up, find your way to the medical school. If it is more than walking distance, take a cab. Present yourself in the admissions office, explain that your interview is scheduled for the next day and that you would like to be able to talk with some med students. Or, look in student lounges. You want primarily to speak with students as much like you in age, sex, background, etc. but in the absence of that, anyone. Pick their brains. Ask the questions on your mind, like the ones you ask for here, but also questions such as: do you like it here? Why, why not? Availabilty of financial aid? Where do you live? Safety issues. Cost of living? What do you do for fun? Do I need a car or is public transport adequate? What do you think of the teaching? Can you get help if you need it? What were you asked at your interview? Structure of interview? Time allotted? Ask about anything else you are concerned about.
Get the information as seen from a student's
point of view, not the faculty and administration point of view in catalogs. You will be a student there, not a faculty member or administrator; you need the student perspective. Ask for a quickie tour, even though you will get a formal tour next day.
Return to where you are staying. Leave a wake up call in the morning, allowing more than enough time for washing up and dressing; assume you will be running behind time, or the cab or bus will be late, or it will be raining, etc. Leave earlier than you would otherwise. You know how to get the medical school, where you have to report, you are familiar with the layout of the school, the curriculum, you have an idea what to expect at the interview itself and are not huffing and puffing because you may be late. You should be the calmest interviewee there! At some point during your interview, let the interviewer know that you were there yesterday in prparation for the interview. The interviewer will most likely be impressed that you did your homework first hand, not out of the catalog. Catalogs are like travel brochures that woo you with overblown descriptions of the wonderful accomodations, fine food, etc; when you get there, the reality is often different.
At the interview, try to be relaxed. It is not intended to waste your time and theirs finding reasons to reject you; they are looking for reasons to accept you. Give them what they want. Stand up for yourself and your choices, if necessary, but politely. You needn't agree with an interviewer on anything and everything. You are more likely to gain respect for not caving.
This is already too long. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
gower,
thanks for your advice, I've been on other interviews where I done exactly what you've said and that prior preparation does work.
In addition though I always try to get as much specific info from med students even before I go for the interview so that I'm thoroughly prepared.So if there's anyone out that has really specfic info on these schools re:how organized the didactic portion is and quality of rotations I'd sur like to hear from you.

rocky,
curious to know how knowing my stats (specifically stats are you interested in?),and activites would help you decide.please elaborate.

I was curious to know any stats you would be willing to give. GPA, MCAT, any types of volunteer work or research you had done. I want to know the stats and activities of a competitive applicant.

Thanks,
Rocky

If you want to know the stats of a competitive applicant, research the average MCATs and GPAs of last year's entering freshmen at the school you are interested in. Chances are those numbers will give you a much better idea of what is "competitive" rather than what you can get from a message board.

lizbeth,

I interviewed at Meharry in mid november and was accepted this past week. I would be happy to share any info with you regarding the interview if you care to know. Either ask the questions here or email me.

nmehta

Originally posted by nmehta:
lizbeth,

I interviewed at Meharry in mid november and was accepted this past week. I would be happy to share any info with you regarding the interview if you care to know. Either ask the questions here or email me.

nmehta

Hey nmehta,
I interviewed at Meharry in first week of November and they put me on the "Acceptable Range". I think that's a waitlist. Do you know any info about what to do at this point. I really liked the school since I plan on working in the inner city in the future. I dont mean to be rude by asking but are you a member of a minority group (URM)?

cjkalmat,

I too was placed on the acceptance range shortly after interviewing. This is not necessarily the people who are on the wait list. It just means that they are still considering you. The only thing i could suggest doing is to send them a letter restating your interest and desire to attend Meharry, and maybe any new developments in your application, school, or work. Again, acceptance range is not a waitlist as far as I know.

No, I am not a member of an underrepresented minority population in the medical profession.

Best of luck.

rocky,
Good advice form puffy 1. I looked in a book titled "Medical school admissions requirements" printed by AAMC to get stats on the schools I was interested in applying to.It's a good book and quite comprehensive. It will answer all your questions about stats not only for Tulane, but all allopathic schools. I had the opportunity to speak to the dean of admissions before I applied, he told me that Tulane was interested not only in GPA & MCAT, (although those were inportant), but also the students entire history, what they've done with their life,how well rounded they are.Hope this info can be of help to you.

nmentha:
Thanks for your offer re; Meharry. Hope you read this before I go for my interview. Wanted to know (1) what the interview was like, what questions were asked, what were the interviewers looking for. (2) How did you find the campus, was it safe, did they have good labs and lecture halls? (3)To what extent does use Meharry use computers to help teach the students? Good Library? (4)Were the students and administrative staff friendly? I think that's enough questions for now, don't you?. Of course I'll find all of this out when I go there, but its always good to get an idea beforehand. How would I get your email?