Howard University c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anneal_Temp60

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Just wanted to get a thread started for accepted students that are planning/considering attending Howard this fall. I guess we can use it to bounce information off of one another regarding financial aid and other requirement deadlines, in addition to housing and other questions regarding the DC area.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have a link to the most recent match list?

Any word from Financial Aid? Oh and anyone had luck with housing yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had the worst luck with fin aid , I submitted the 2015-2016 app just because that's the only one i saw. There is also a Roomate matching page for off campus housing on Howard's housing page which I added myself too. But i really want to live with other first year med students so kinda trying to hold out for this Facebook page ! And thank you for creating this page !

Reactions: 1 user
Only thing they said was to file out the app but I haven't heard anything from Howard besides Mrs walk saying she got my payment. In response to question and fin aid

Yeah I emailed Dr. Aitcheson regarding the issues with the outdated Health Sciences Financial Aid application form link on the College of Medicine website and she replied back that the link to the new application should be on the financial aid tab on Bisonweb. Whenever I go on Bisonweb however I don't have a tab that provides a link to financial aid. Does anyone else have this problem with bisonweb?

I just checked Bisonweb and the links are updated with the new application.

I just got accepted and haven't even seriously started looking at the paper work. You guys are making me feel so behind lol.

I've had the worst luck with fin aid , I submitted the 2015-2016 app just because that's the only one i saw. There is also a Roomate matching page for off campus housing on Howard's housing page which I added myself too. But i really want to live with other first year med students so kinda trying to hold out for this Facebook page ! And thank you for creating this page !

I interviewed early January and I totally forgot when the facebook page is supposed to be created. Do you know when that will be?

I interviewed early January and I totally forgot when the facebook page is supposed to be created. Do you know when that will be?

In the email I received after sending in my deposits, Ms. Walk said that the page should be created sometime in April. It seems like April is the big month for when we should get additional information regarding the facebook page, financial aid, orientation, etc. We haven't gotten too much info from them since our acceptance so you're definitely not far behind lol. Just get your FAFSA in if you haven't already, and fill out the Health Sciences Financial Aid app when you get your student ID in your acceptance packet. Congrats again!

In the email I received after sending in my deposits, Ms. Walk said that the page should be created sometime in April. It seems like April is the big month for when we should get additional information regarding the facebook page, financial aid, orientation, etc. We haven't gotten too much info from them since our acceptance so you're definitely not far behind lol. Just get your FAFSA in if you haven't already, and fill out the Health Sciences Financial Aid app when you get your student ID in your acceptance packet. Congrats again!

Ok thanks for all your help! You're seriously so nice, I can't wait to see you in July!

Below is where the class of 2016 matched for peds:

Morehouse School of Medicine

UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

Baylor College of Medicine

Stony Brook University Children's Hospital

Georgetown University Hospital

Johns Hopkins

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have also been accepted, from the DC area, and looking for housing. Has any one had any luck finding great housing? I know of a couple of areas that are pretty popular for Howard students.

Below is where the class of 2016 matched for peds:

Morehouse School of Medicine

UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

Georgetown University Hospital

Johns Hopkins

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get access to this list? Do you know the match list for any other specialties? Thanks

I'm already in DC but I can be of help in provinding information on different neighborhoods in DC and surrounding areas.

What do you think are the best housing options for Howard med students? Which area would you recommend?

What do you think are the best housing options for Howard med students? Which area would you recommend?

Well I think the best option for many students will be to be close to the metro since the area immediately surrounding the school (Columbia Heights and U st can be pricey. I think a lot of current students live in Silver Spring (The Summit Hills complex usually has good rates) and Hyattsville. Both are in Maryland and fairly metro accessible. If you did however have the desire to stay in DC, better priced options will be available further uptown along Georgia Avenue. Neighborhoods like Brightwood, Manor Park, and Takoma Park are good places to look in NW DC for decently priced apartments that will be metro accessible or close to a bus line that will take you to a metro station. The thing with a lot of DC apartments that will be in a medical student's price range tend to be a little older and don't have some of the amenities one might want in an apartment (washer/dryer, dishwasher) so if those are options that you would want, you'll have to pay more. There are a few options in NE DC that tend to have good prices and amenities (Brookland Ridge, Cloisters) but these apartments tend to go fast especially during the summer months. Overall its going to be more expensive than what most people are used to paying for rent in other parts of the country, but having a roommate definitely softens the blow of writing that rent check on the 1st. Hope this helps!

Well I think the best option for many students will be to be close to the metro since the area immediately surrounding the school (Columbia Heights and U st can be pricey. I think a lot of current students live in Silver Spring (The Summit Hills complex usually has good rates) and Hyattsville. Both are in Maryland and fairly metro accessible. If you did however have the desire to stay in DC, better priced options will be available further uptown along Georgia Avenue. Neighborhoods like Brightwood, Manor Park, and Takoma Park are good places to look in NW DC for decently priced apartments that will be metro accessible or close to a bus line that will take you to a metro station. The thing with a lot of DC apartments that will be in a medical student's price range tend to be a little older and don't have some of the amenities one might want in an apartment (washer/dryer, dishwasher) so if those are options that you would want, you'll have to pay more. There are a few options in NE DC that tend to have good prices and amenities (Brookland Ridge, Cloisters) but these apartments tend to go fast especially during the summer months. Overall its going to be more expensive than what most people are used to paying for rent in other parts of the country, but having a roommate definitely softens the blow of writing that rent check on the 1st. Hope this helps!
Could u recommend more places in silver spring?

This is so much lol. I'm from the south so anything will be more expensive than what I'm used to paying. I'm just hoping once this facebook page gets started I can find a roommate so things won't be as expensive. Do most students take the metro? Is that why you keep saying "metro accessible" or "close to a bus line"?

Could u recommend more places in silver spring?

I'm not to sure about the names of the complexes but there are quite a few in the downtown silver spring area right on the DC/Maryland state line. A lot of them are new so I'm not so sure of the affordability of these complexes. A lot are located along East-West Highway, Eastern Ave, and 16th St. One of the reasons why Summit Hills is pretty popular is because it is such a huge complex with many buildings and apartments which I guess may help them keep the cost down a little.

This is so much lol. I'm from the south so anything will be more expensive than what I'm used to paying. I'm just hoping once this facebook page gets started I can find a roommate so things won't be as expensive. Do most students take the metro? Is that why you keep saying "metro accessible" or "close to a bus line"?

Yeah I guess I have too much free time at work lol. Yes I believe a fair amount of students do metro because I think parking is very limited and can be expensive to use the garage at the Hospital each day. At night and on the weekends students my drive a little more because street parking is a little more accessible during those times. But the metro is pretty reliable and I will be using it as my primary form of transportation to and from campus each day.

And yeah having a roommate(s) is definitely the best option to keep cost down especially in DC. Lets hope the facebook page gets created soon! lol

I really like the cloisters. It is in DC and is affordable, I am from the Northeast and used to these prices.

What address did y'all send the hand written acceptance to? Am I just overlooking it?

Thanks so much for the info ! I'm waiting for the fb group too ! I'm super anxious to find other students so we can be Roomates and find a place. I'm not gonna bring my car so I def need to be close to campus or a metro. But ppl have been telling me to be careful about picking a place that's too cheap. Because of the crime rate ? If anyone wants to bounce ideas off of each other about anything fin aid etc message me to get my number ! We're gonna be classmates anyway :)

Have 10 different blood tests in the system for tomorrow. These health forms don't play.

Yeah I emailed Dr. Aitcheson regarding the issues with the outdated Health Sciences Financial Aid application form link on the College of Medicine website and she replied back that the link to the new application should be on the financial aid tab on Bisonweb. Whenever I go on Bisonweb however I don't have a tab that provides a link to financial aid. Does anyone else have this problem with bisonweb?

I just checked Bisonweb and the links are updated with the new application.

How did you login to BisonWeb?

*Nevermind, found it. In case anyone else is wondering, your student ID# is in the bottom right hand corner of your acceptance letter.

Have 10 different blood tests in the system for tomorrow. These health forms don't play.

Trust me I know! I had to fax the form over to my doctor to make sure she could even perform all of the tests.

Hey anyone knows when a day of classes usually ends? And where course info can be found?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Hey anyone knows when a day of classes usually ends? And where course info can be found?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Here is a breakdown of courses for each year of school at Howard.

http://healthsciences.howard.edu/education/colleges/medicine/education/programs-overview/md-program

There used to be a link on the website where they had a daily schedule breakdown but I couldn't find it. I think classes are mostly from around 8am-12pm with the labs and PBL group exercises in the afternoons. I think on most days mandatory stuff is finished by 4 or 5pm.

Here is a breakdown of courses for each year of school at Howard.

http://healthsciences.howard.edu/education/colleges/medicine/education/programs-overview/md-program

There used to be a link on the website where they had a daily schedule breakdown but I couldn't find it. I think classes are mostly from around 8am-12pm with the labs and PBL group exercises in the afternoons. I think on most days mandatory stuff is finished by 4 or 5pm.

Thanks appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone have a link to the most recent match list?

They don't really make the match list available. At least that was what I was told. I was never able to get a hold of it when I was in your shoes last year.

But for EM, I know one student matched into Mount Sinai, another into Mayo, and another into UConn (others matched into other programs but I don't know which). One ortho student matched into Stanford and few into Howard University (that I know of).

With that said, you cannot really judge a school based on their match list... how a student fare in matching depends on their board scores and their clerkship grades and letters of recommendations, etc -- these are things that are pretty much up to the student. If you study hard during medical school, take advantages of your resources (provided by the school, other students, and the internet) and put in the work needed to do well on Step 1, you will be fine! =)

Can't believe there is no Facebook group yet !

Class of 2019 (they will be the ones who will put the Facebook group together) are in the last 3 weeks of their curriculum and it is a bit crazy right now. We also haven't been given the green light to start one up for you guys but just remain patient. It'll be up soon enough. =) I think last year, the FB group was made around end of April. That will still leave you enough time to reach out to your future classmates, ask upperclassmen questions, find roommates, etc.

If any of you guys have any questions, feel free to message me (current MS1 at HU). Congrats on the acceptance! =)

Reactions: 2 users
Class of 2019 (they will be the ones who will put the Facebook group together) are in the last 3 weeks of their curriculum and it is a bit crazy right now. We also haven't been given the green light to start one up for you guys but just remain patient. It'll be up soon enough. =) I think last year, the FB group was made around end of April. That will still leave you enough time to reach out to your future classmates, ask upperclassmen questions, find roommates, etc.

If any of you guys have any questions, feel free to message me (current MS1 at HU). Congrats on the acceptance! =)
Thank you so much for that info. Very helpful.

I was randomly searching on FB to see if the class page was created, and I found it. Just search "Howard University College of Medicine Class of 2020"

When is the first day of orientation?
thanks! :)

does anyone have any information on what to do after you get your acceptance packet? I just received health forms and an acceptance letter - that was it. Do we loggin somewhere - is there an orientation schedule?

+

Last edited: