• It's our birthday!

Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

***Howard University College of Dentistry c/o 2013 Official Acceptance Thread***

About the Ads

GMDMD2B

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2009
    Hey :0) Its a program were a couple of students like 25med and 5 dent get to take. The program is free and they teach you like 3 courses. I think anatomy, biochem, microbio/immuno. I am not sure how it works but they never mentioned it to us.

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Aug 24, 2006
    Chocolate City!
    1. Medical Student
      Ok, well I look forward to meeting you all in July. I will be out there in May. I hope you guys/gals don't mind me posting in your thread. Just excited about everything Howard has to offer and meeting my HU family.

GMDMD2B

10+ Year Member
      Jan 21, 2009
        Academic Reinforcement Program (ARP)

An integral part of the academic program of the College of Dentistry, ARP is designed to assist in the successful training of disadvantaged but competent students. Selection for this program is dependent on the recommendation of the Admission Committee.

The program has two phases: the prematriculation phase (summer program) and the matriculation phase. The Academic Reinforcement Program is a six week program subsidized by the Federal Health Careers Opportunity Program (HCOP) and is conducted at the Howard University College of Dentistry and the College of Medicine. The objectives of this program are to introduce the student to the basic sciences, to strengthen learning skills and provide a measure of the student’s ability to handle our dental curriculum. Subjects included in ARP are Gross Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Learning Skills, Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Skills. Time and Task Management Strategies and Test-Taking Skills will also be presented. Satisfactory completion of the Program will be determined on the basis of examinations and attendance. While it is anticipated that all students will be successful, admission to the freshmen class will not be granted to any student who fails to complete the program and to pass all courses offered.

The matriculation phase affords continuing assistance over and beyond the classroom in all courses, laboratory and clinic areas and counseling on a more individualized basis than in the regular classrooms.

Those participating in the prematriculation phase are responsible for their room and board. Students should especially note that admission to this phase of the program does not guarantee admission to the College of Dentistry. Admission is based on the adequacy of performance during this phase.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif
        Quick Links American Dental Education Assoc.National Dental Assoc.American Dental Assoc.American Assoc. for Dental ExaminersAmerican Dental Hygienist Assoc.National Dental Hygienist Assoc.North East Regional BoardRWJF Dental PipelineOmicron Kappa UpsilonFrequently Asked QuestionsSchedule Of ClassesPostdoctoral Schedules Academic Calendar HUCD Policy Manual
        pixel.gif

GMDMD2B

10+ Year Member
        Jan 21, 2009
          Futurdoc when you went for your interview did they tell you when perhaps you would hear back from them with an answer? Someone posted here that they had interview the 6th as well and they heard back.

GMDMD2B

10+ Year Member
          Jan 21, 2009
            I interviewed the 20th of Feb and they told us March 15th and here we are...:0) still waiting. I mean I guess I rather be waiting than find out I didn't get in. I guess we just have to wait a little longer. Were there a lot of students at your interview section? Do you know if there was another section before the 20th and after yours?

About the Ads

futurdoc26

10+ Year Member
            Dec 16, 2008
            1. Dental Student
              Our group was maybe 10 people, and they said they were interviewing one more group (maybe yours). I guess those dates they gave us weren't concrete. I'm laying off on contacting them. I'm sure nagging them won't help my chances. Good luck...hopefully we'll know soon :)

OMFS08

Tooth Extractornator
              10+ Year Member
              May 11, 2008
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                BTW, Congrats BlackDr2be...thanks for sharing your success with us. See you in the Fall neighbor! Guys, the laptop we get is a Toshiba Tablet and comes loaded with all our books for school...

About the Ads

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Aug 24, 2006
                Chocolate City!
                1. Medical Student
                  AADSAS UPDATED!!!! woooohooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm IN!!!!!

I'm in!!!! YAY

Congrats yall! I have been following this thread for a little bit. I have been hoping you guys/gals would get in and you did. Looking forward to meeting some of yall in the fall! Congrats again neighbors!

determined1dent

10+ Year Member
                  Oct 9, 2008
                  1. Dental Student
                    Hey guys! I wanted to stop in a share the good news...I'm in too!

I'm just really torn b/c I also got into my State (cheaper school)
                    UT-Houston.

I know everyone here will be biased towards Howard...and I really loved the school, but I need to be realistic to some extent and consider all factors. The truth is I'll be taking out almost double the amount of loans @ HU (unless I get some sort of scholarships which I hear are hard to come by.) Also...I want to practice in Texas after I graduate. Can you all leave some thoughts? I'm really battleing with my decision...and any insight or new perspectives would really help.

Heres a short list of pros/cons

HU pros: 1) I LOVE the diversity of the school...although I can get along with ppl from all backgrounds
                    2) New city experience in DC (I've been in TX all my life)
                    3) I have already met some really amazing ppl at Howard and can receive a lot of help/support from them

HU cons: 1) administration
                    2) so far from home
                    3) super duper exp and crazy cost of living (compared to TX) how much debt does one take out on avg for 4 yrs @ Howard??
                    4) Networking when I move back to TX (all my contacts will be out of state more than likely)

Houston pros:

1) close to fam/friends live in the city
                    2) more economical (less debt)
                    3)contacts made in TX

Cons:
                    1) school not as diverse
                    2) No out of state experiences
                    3) Not sure how strong my support system will be

I realize that this is a very personal decision, and I'm going out on a limb by posting these thoughts up here, but I would really appreciate any experiences/opinions anyone can share.

Thanks guys and congrats to all!! P.S. sorry this post is soooo long =(

OMFS08

Tooth Extractornator
                    10+ Year Member
                    May 11, 2008
                    1. Resident [Any Field]

UT-Houston.

I know everyone here will be biased towards Howard...and I really loved the school, but I need to be realistic to some extent and consider all factors. The truth is I'll be taking out almost double the amount of loans @ HU (unless I get some sort of scholarships which I hear are hard to come by.) Also...I want to practice in Texas after I graduate. Can you all leave some thoughts? I'm really battleing with my decision...and any insight or new perspectives would really help.

HU pros: 1) I LOVE the diversity of the school...although I can get along with ppl from all backgrounds
                      3) I have already met some really amazing ppl at Howard and can receive a lot of help/support from them

2) so far from home
                      3) super duper exp and crazy cost of living (compared to TX) how much debt does one take out on avg for 4 yrs @ Howard??
                      4) Networking when I move back to TX (all my contacts will be out of state more than likely)

Houston pros:

3)contacts made in TX

Cons:
                      1) school not as diverse

I realize that this is a very personal decision, and I'm going out on a limb by posting these thoughts up here, but I would really appreciate any experiences/opinions anyone can share.

I would suggest you go with your state school, that's what I would do if I were you. This seems to yield the highest benefits for you. Not only will it benefit you but also open another spot for someone else interested in Howard :) lol. Whatever decision you make, do it quickly but ensure it is exactly what you want or you may be very miserable.

Good luck...

About the Ads

askadds

15+ Year Member
                      Feb 19, 2006

UT-Houston.

2) so far from home

Houston pros:

3)contacts made in TX

Cons:
                        1) school not as diverse

I suggest going to howard, once in a lifetime opportunity to experience and understand the culture of Washington and the surrounding Northern VA/MD. You may even consider staying in the area after you've graduated. The area has some of the highest average incomes in the US, note that the difference wont be so evident if you look at the average for say ALL of VA or MD because the "Washington dc metro" area is vastly different. You'll be amazed.

OMFS08

Tooth Extractornator
                        10+ Year Member
                        May 11, 2008
                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                          Yes, there is no way of really knowing apart from checking your AADSAS status. I tried calling before and was told I would be contacted with the info but no one called me. But I saw on AADSAS, then you will also get a welcome packet if you have not gotten it by now...

Don't for get to join the facebook group everybody!!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18183196861

GMDMD2B

10+ Year Member
                          Jan 21, 2009
                            Ok. Well I didn't receive my acceptance letter till last tuesday (7th) and mailed out the certified check on wednesday the 8th. At the post office they said I didn't need to do anything since its something that only the school can cash and regular mail would get there by friday (10th). I called yesterday and the secretary told me that it gets to Howard Univ and then they bring it to them, but the lady who receives it isn't in until next week. She then told me she would tell Mrs. Clarke-H that my stuff would be coming in late and was told that aslong as it was postmarked before the 15th it would be fine. Should I be worried?

OMFS08

Tooth Extractornator
                            10+ Year Member
                            May 11, 2008
                            1. Resident [Any Field]
                              Ok. Well I didn't receive my acceptance letter till last tuesday (7th) and mailed out the certified check on wednesday the 8th. At the post office they said I didn't need to do anything since its something that only the school can cash and regular mail would get there by friday (10th). I called yesterday and the secretary told me that it gets to Howard Univ and then they bring it to them, but the lady who receives it isn't in until next week. She then told me she would tell Mrs. Clarke-H that my stuff would be coming in late and was told that aslong as it was postmarked before the 15th it would be fine. Should I be worried?

Don't be worried. Once the check was dated before the 15th your good. Don't worry just give it a week then call and ask for Ms. Clarke-Hewitt at 202-865-0400 best of luck.

babakpharm

10+ Year Member
                              Jul 23, 2007
                              1. Pharmacy Student
                                I am planning on applying for a two bedroom apartment in the east towers---If anyone is looking for an apartment its going to be around $940 per person.

I am a 21 year old male (Pharmacy Student)

PM me

Last edited:

johnnyjlee

10+ Year Member
                                Jan 13, 2009
                                1. Pre-Dental
                                  Just wanted to confirm if Howard accepted cc credits i saw on their website they said no but just wanted to be positive before i wasted any money for the 2010 cycle thanks guys and congrads to everyone who was accepted!

ffatema

May 9, 2012
                                  1. Pre-Dental
                                    Hi,

I am studying in Pioneer Dental college and hospital located in Bangladesh and aim to get into HUCD. Are there any international students here (hopefully someone from bangladesh), or any other country, who got into HUCD? Do you have any advice for me?
                                    Also, i am still confused of one thing. I have been calling HUCD, but couldnot get in touch with anyone to answer this. Once my finish my 5 years in Bangladesh and apply to HUCD, would I be accepted as a D2 OR D3?

any information would help.
                                    thank you all.

About the Ads
                                    This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    7. This thread is locked.