Howard University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baps

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Howard as "ghetto" as they say? I've heard that it's in a bad neighborhood and that the school itself is having financial and other problems. If anyone can give me some input about this school, that would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Baps said:
Is Howard as "ghetto" as they say? I've heard that it's in a bad neighborhood and that the school itself is having financial and other problems. If anyone can give me some input about this school, that would be great. Thanks!

Hi there,
Howard is located in a depressed urban area. Any medical school located in a similiar urban environment is going to present challenges that you do not find in the middle of a cornfield or suburbia. Other schools located in similiar locations are Temple and Johns Hopkins. The security departments at these schools advise students on how to be safe and what stupid things not to do.

Howard is a federally chartered (lots of money)medical school that received a 100% rating from the LCME (group that accredits medical schools) on their last site visit three years ago. Howard University Hospital has had some rough times as have all urban hospitals but the medical school itself is on very strong financial and academic footing. Howard just opened a brand new state of the art medical library that is completely paid for. The hospital does not have any connection with the medical school other than some clinical rotations for medical students. It could completely go under and the medical school would still stand.

Howard does have plenty of problems with their admissions office. It is not computerized and needs to be completely overhauled. There are new people doing just that in that department even now. The previous Dean and president of the medical school resigned and has been replaced by an outstanding acting dean who will change many of the administrative problems.

I suspect under new direction, Howard will undergo some drastic administrative changes. Many people believe that it is best to stay away from academic institutions that have new Deans until that person gets underway. Certainly the admissions office has to be totally overhauled and it is my understanding that this is being rapidly accomplished under new direction.

njbmd :)