Howard University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blessed1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been surfing this website and reading the various posts for QUITE some time now and have decided to actually post something! :D

I sent my AADSAS app out early September to Howard Univ and Univ. of MD dental schools and I have been particularly interested in the various posts about Howard Univ. It seems to be that most of the posts concerning Howard, seem to have a negative slant and I am just wondering if those SDNers that have posted somewhat negatively, are posting based on things that they have heard or based on actual experience. :confused:

I have been to visit both schools and in terms of Howard, they seemed to be on the up and up. Am I missing something?? Curious to hear from those of you that have TRULY applied to Howard and have not had favorable experiences thus far. Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Blessed1 ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I also applied to Howard and Maryland.Before applying I have heard that Howard is a "black school," and I thought that meant that there are more African-American students than others.After reading some of the posts here,I actually realized that the school discriminates between races.I was suprised.I also read somewhere that if you are white they don't even bother to call you for months.
Anyway,yesterday I got a sign from Howard,saying that they have received my application and are waiting for my DAT scores(which I finnally got over with today!).
This forum scared me a little bit regarding Howard.It is true I should have done more research about the school before applying, but that's the way it goes.I live in Baltimore, so I applied to these 2 schools because they are close.I really want to go to Maryland, but if I don't, I'll rather go to Howard than wait one more year.
Joanna

Howard, Meharry, and Loma Linda have specific admissions standards. Howard and Meharry cater to minorities (blacks, hispanics, natives), and LL to a specific religion that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys...I just hope I'll get into Maryland.I just took the DAT today and I posted my stats in My Story thread.Do you think I have a chance for MD?
Thanks,
Joanna

Your stats are indeed very competitive for UMB, yes. Especially since you are a Maryland resident-- Which means you get preferential treatment over applicants from the other 49 states.

I'd wish you luck, but I'm sure you won't need it. :D

Thanks!
I'm starting to feel better already :)
Btw, you always need luck!
Joanna

Originally posted by Jo23
Hi,
I also applied to Howard and Maryland.Before applying I have heard that Howard is a "black school," and I thought that meant that there are more African-American students than others.After reading some of the posts here,I actually realized that the school discriminates between races.....Joanna

Jo23,

I am also from Maryland and have applied to only those two schools (mostly b/c my hubby doesn't want to move and is not thrilled about me moving away.....) I received an email from Howard immediately after they received my AADSAS materials, stating that they have it and were not requesting any additional info at that time. I have not taken my DAT yet and will be taking it on Nov. 28th. I found their reply interesting. I have made several contacts at Howard (it is my first choice) and am anxious to get in there but if Maryland be my destiny, then so be it. :)

Blessed1

Jo23/Blessed1,
I have alos applied to Howard and just went there for an interview. I know that Howard mostly caters to minorities, but at my interview there were two white males and I saw some others that actually go there during our tour. So I don't think anyone should be discouraged from applying to this school due to perceptions.

Goodluck!:)

i don't care what they cater to... i'll be grateful of ANY spot when that time arises