Status
Not open for further replies.

eag

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Of these two schools, which one would you or did you pick? What do you feel are the positives and negatives of each?

Le_Donald

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
I picked neither howard, meharry, or morehouse. See, I believe that any school that prides itself in being "historically of ____ race" is racist. These schools discriminate against non-black applicants. I find that appalling! Thankfully, their MCAT, GPA, Board scores, and Sue Rates speak for themselves, so I hope this institutional racism pockmark upon medical education will soon be eradicated faster than a wart on my leg! I can say this, of course, as an african-american female former EMT, PA, and now medical student.

Hope it helps

No Fear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 1999
Visit site
Status
Le_Donald said:
I picked neither howard, meharry, or morehouse. See, I believe that any school that prides itself in being "historically of ____ race" is racist. These schools discriminate against non-black applicants. I find that appalling! Thankfully, their MCAT, GPA, Board scores, and Sue Rates speak for themselves, so I hope this institutional racism pockmark upon medical education will soon be eradicated faster than a wart on my leg! I can say this, of course, as an african-american female former EMT, PA, and now medical student.

Hope it helps
I doubt it since Meharry has been around for over 125 years. Oh yeah and by the way, Meharry does accept lower MCAT's than most places. But if your a "real" medical student, not just one on studentdoctor.net, you'll know that MCAT scores mean nothing as an indicator of preformance on boards. As i've said before, and you can see for yourself, we are down the street from Vanderbilt students who have an average entering MCAT of 30, however 4th year Meharry students have higher placement rates into their 1st choice residency positions than Vandy students. And yes they are competitive residencies such as; neurosurgery, diagnostic radiology, urology, orthopedics, and general surgery. I guess I should also mention that they are places like Johns Hopkins, Cornell and other Ivy's. So I don't now about Howard, but as a Meharry Student, I can tell you from personal experience that Meharry prepares its students well. Just because you were unable to fill one of the 60 seats that Meharry receives 5000 applications every year for shouldn't make you this upset. But then again, as an african american female you must be very happy at the historically white medical school that you attend now. I can say this of course as a caucasion female.

sapience8x

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2005
Status
Okay anyway to answer the OP's question, i asked the same question of an older cousin of mine when i was applying to med school and she said that the general consensus was that Meharry is putting out better physicians than Howard.

lotanna

Child of God
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2002
Global nomad
Visit site
Status
Le_Donald said:

Hope it helps

Ok now here goes a troll, and u got acepted to med schl? give me a freakin breakin

FernandoV

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Status
lotanna said:
Ok now here goes a troll, and u got acepted to med schl? give me a freakin breakin
Can someone please explain to me what a "troll" is exactly? I have seen it on here so many times but can't quite figure it out.

Blessed7

7+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

Hope it helps
Wow! Le_Donald, I understand what you are saying, but you sound a bit angry about the whole thing. Most schools have a higher percentage of Caucasians. I do not think the intention of creating HBCU was to be racist, but to create opportunities that will help level the playing field if that makes sense.

Mr hawkings

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wow! Le_Donald, I understand what you are saying, but you sound a bit angry about the whole thing. Most schools have a higher percentage of Caucasians. I do not think the intention of creating HBCU was to be racist, but to create opportunities that will help level the playing field if that makes sense.
I hope you know you are responding to a 5-year old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.