How'd everybody do in Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starflyr

Manic Faerie
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into UTMB (my first choice) and 2 people from my high school also got in there, and another girl from my HS got into UTSA. (Im one of 2 premeds at my college, and the other was accepted ED to Buffalo) Just wondering how people did! I hope everybody gets some sort of good news tonight!

smiles,
Star

Members don't see this ad.

I also got in to UTMB, along with one person I know from high school, one person I know through my ex-girlfriend, and a couple of people I interviewed with way back in october. It was my first choice, as well, and I'll definitely be there, barring a baylor acceptance (which I wouldn't accept automatically, but it would make the whole decision much more complicated.) Congrats to all who matched where they wanted to, and to all you UTHers - hold out for a few more days, you'll know soon!!

btw, star, what kind of school has only 2 premed majors!? Where do you go?

Members don't see this ad :)
hehe...a very small school, Ringo. We only have ~400 students total. about 40 in our class of 73 came in pre-med, only 2 of us made it through everything. OH, and its not our major - she's international studies, and Im CS...
smile.gif
Btw, CONGRATS on UTMB...I guess Ill see you in August
smile.gif

smiles,
Star

[This message has been edited by Starflyr (edited 01-13-2001).]

I'll be in Galveston next year too. UTMB was also my first choice but it was a tough one. I seemed to have fallen in love with all the schools. UTMB's curriculum did it for me though.

Ringo, I think we both interviewed on the same day (10/20). I'll see y'all there!

Take care,
Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jeff698 (edited 01-13-2001).]

i know i have already posted this on another forum, but what is the web address to get to the utmb postings? i am having the hardest time finding it (read, i cant find it at all) and the anxiety caused by knowing i could know and that i cant is killing me!!! please help.

nevermind, it appears in my haste i forgot how to read. thanks anyway

no worries, hatcher, it took me, my fiance, both my parents and my brother to find the match list on the site...mostly cause we werent patient enough for the icon to show up! Talk about nerve-wracking! Glad ya found it
smile.gif

smiles,
Star

How did you find the list online? I admit I may be a little comp illiterate, but the anxiety is too much. Please help! Thanks

just go to www.utmb.edu and it is the second button down on the far right side of the page. it says class of 2001 som match list. good luck!

[This message has been edited by hatcher (edited 01-15-2001).]

I got into San Antonio and it was my first choice so I am pretty excited. As with Ringo, I am still awaiting word from Baylor (which I really don't expect to hear...but I might as well keep some semblance of hope), which might be too good to pass up. Otherwise, if there are any other San Antonio acceptees out there, please post and we can maybe get in touch before school starts.

which is when, like, next week? (I couldn't believe how early UTHSCSA started) Congrats, and keep hoping on Baylor!

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents
smile.gif
. I'm headed to Texas Tech School of Medicine. It was my second choice, but I'm thrilled to be going there!! It was more like a "co-first" choice. Congrats to everyone else who matched! To those who didn't - keep the faith. I applied nationally 3 years ago and got MANY rejections. I established Texas residency after grad school in the midst of working for three years. Now I'm headed to med school. Just keep trying!!

so, what's up, guys and gals? will i be the only person at houston next year? please, anyone out there, tell me i wont be alone! (although, i bet the personal attention would be great, and i could say i graduated at the top of my class...)

Sounds like a lot of people on this thread are headed to Galveston. Just thought I'd add my name to the list. I'm soooo looking forward to it. It was really hard for me to rank the schools, and I ended up ranking it as my 2nd choice. I'm kind of happy I didn't get into my first choice, b/c Galveston is throwing some money my way for the first year. Not much, but I was wondering if anyone else got a scholarship offer from Galveston? Can't wait to meet all you future UTMB grads in August!

Hey FourthTime, congrats on your acceptance! Yeah, I also got some $ from Galveston, and I'll probably be going there in August too. (that Baylor acceptance is still pending... I hope!) (Although I'd still have a tough time deciding b/w those two) Congrats to all, and special greetings to the UTMB medical class of '05!

[This message has been edited by ringo643 (edited 01-22-2001).]

I'm an African American with a 30+ MCAT which is well above the average for UTMB and I didn't get in. Texas is the most racist state in the Union. Oh well I guess I will just have to settle for interviewing at some of the top 20 schools.

Phuk UT

Joe PreMed: Are you a TX resident? (State law mandates 90% of each class be legal TX residents, so 30 is not 'well above avg' if you're vying for one of those few out-of-state positions) Good luck getting in somewhere

Originally posted by ringo643:
Joe PreMed: Are you a TX resident? (State law mandates 90% of each class be legal TX residents, so 30 is not 'well above avg' if you're vying for one of those few out-of-state positions) Good luck getting in somewhere

I am a Texas resident. I've lived in Texas all my life. I work and pay taxes here so its a slap in the face to have to go to another state to get the education I've already subsidized in TX. And my score was not 30. It was NORTH of 30. Like I said well above the 27 the average UTMB student eeks out. Good try ringo, but its gonna take a lot more than wishful thinking to solve the health problems of the minority communities in this state.

I know some of you guys awesome. But there are a ton of you who can't come close to my stats and experience who got into UTMB. Until African American attendence at all UT schools is at least 13% I am going to be screaming bloody murder. The whole thing is crooked.

joe-
look, im not trying to punk you out or anything, but i hope you didnt go into the interview acting all cocky because you think you have better stats than everyone else and should get in because of your ethnic background. just because you are a minority doesnt mean you should be ushered in. you have to earn it like the rest of us. and, just to make you feel better, i also scored north of 30, had hospital experience and a good gpa and didnt get in to any school last year. this year i did get in, despite the fact that my gpa dropped 0.15 from the time i interviewed last year and when i graduated. the folks that interview you can get a good sense of your maturity, and i think that in texas that plays a big part. i am sorry you believe you were snubbed; i know how it feels. good luck up north, and if nothing works out this year, give texas another try next year. stranger things have happened.

[This message has been edited by hatcher (edited 01-25-2001).]