How'd you guys improve from your kaplan diagnostic to first full length practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Team Zissou

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So on my diagnostic i scored a 22 and on my first full length practice test i scored a 26.. seem to be goin in a good direction.. how has everyone else improved??

Members don't see this ad.

19 on the diagnostic. *However*, I had been up something like 16 hours and worked a midnight shift beforehand. Not the best of conditions.
Full Lengths so far:

That 2nd one is lower because people started coming into the house when I was doing the Biological portion and distracting the hell out of me, so i quit and made a 2 on the biology.

I agree ^^^ kaplan full length 10 broke me despite solid scores on 6 - 9.

Members don't see this ad :)
diag: 23
FL 1: 28
FL 2: 34

I'm a post-bacc though so when I took the diagnostic I didn't have the faintest clue about organic chemistry or much about physics either. At this point I'm still fuzzy on optics and circuits, but the rest is coming into focs nicely :)

the diagnostic is ridiculous. i think it's mostly a shock factor to scare you and protect themselves because of the higher score guarantee. i think i got a 23 or 24 on the diagnostic and on my next practice got a 30 or something. seriously, do NOT worry about that score.

Well, I took AAMC MCAT 3 last week.
I made:

PS: 8
VR: 7
BS: 9

However, I would like to point something out, for the lowered score. I was in a study room in the library. You know, a quite place where I was isolated and could study. I get to the end of the Verbal and what should happen? Next door, a group of 4-5 hunter types wearing camo are jabbering their fricking MOUTHS with their door WIDE open and my concentration goes all to hell. Consequently, I couldn't finish the last few passages in time, had to guess on the last questions before the BS section( I skip writing all together).
SO, I have to take my laptop and move from floor 6 to floor 4. Mind, I took all the stuff out of my pockets and put them behind my laptop, out of view, so as to be distraction free.
So I take all my stuff and move down to the 4th floor. I'm cruising along on the BS, doing fairly well when what do I hear over the PA? "Someone left a pair of Honda keys in one of the study rooms. Please come to the front desk to claim them."
In my rush, I didn't look what I was grabbing. So to make sure I got my keys, I again did a quick hurry up and went down stairs. +pissed+

Everything was against me.:(

Still made a 24, but I think a 27 was what I would have made under ideal conditions.

Kaplan diag = 23
Kap FL 1= 30... but I heard that the first full length was slightly easier? Anyone else feel/hear anything along those lines?:(

Kaplan diag = 23
Kap FL 1= 30... but I heard that the first full length was slightly easier? Anyone else feel/hear anything along those lines?:(

ha! easier? not a chance, at least not to me.

Diag- 22
FL1 - 24
FL2 - 27
FL3 - 28

~7 weeks to go! Give me points dammit! :D Still haven't studied physics or chemistry outside of my ****ty kaplan class and that's last one was a 8 phys / 10 verb / 9 bio

As I get further into orgo II this semester, and study the other section I should be able to get this thing well over 30.

when you say kaplan FL, does that means the real AAMC tests?

Kaplan FL = FULL LENGTH by Kaplan. Through Kaplan you can get access to AAMC exams. ( who actually write the real thing). But generally Kaplan FL's correlate with AAMC scores. At least mine do, now the practice materials are a different story :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
on my first full length... i went up 8 points from my kaplan diagostic... my score is definitely still not where i want it to be... i'll be practicing full lengths 2-3 times a week, from now til test day (april 7th)

anyone else taking the april 7th one feeling stressed?

Kaplan FL = FULL LENGTH by Kaplan. Through Kaplan you can get access to AAMC exams. ( who actually write the real thing). But generally Kaplan FL's correlate with AAMC scores. At least mine do, now the practice materials are a different story :eek:

oh so you have to take the AAMC ones on your own? not during ur kaplan hours?

Yes. Kaplan forces you to take their pratice tests during the course but AAMC tests are also available (CBT) online. They are supplemental.

Yes. Kaplan forces you to take their pratice tests during the course but AAMC tests are also available (CBT) online. They are supplemental.

whats the point of the course then, wouldn't it better to not waste time with the course and just do the AAMC tests on your own?

My diagnostic SUCKED. Couldnt focus, lots of noise ect.... My first kaplan full length was 13 pts higher. Took an AAMC the next week, same score as kaplan FL 1

whats the point of the course then, wouldn't it better to not waste time with the course and just do the AAMC tests on your own?

What are you talking about? I think it's invaluable to have access to 9 Kaplan online full-lengths PLUS access to all the previous AAMC tests online, which you can choose to do if you want. You only have to do the 5 Kaplan ones to get their "high score guarantee", but the extra Kaplan FLs+AAMC ones are there for those that want them.

I'm not sure why you are asking what the point of the course is- for me it is to have access to all these tests online, plus the books they give you which are not available in bookstores (I think Kaplan publishes a watered down version that you can buy at the bookstore). Mostly it's for the tests though.

Diag: 22 (B8, P7, V7)
FL1: 30 (B10, P11, V9)
AAMC 3r: 30 (B8, P10, V12)
AAMC 8: 34 (B9, P13, V12)

I don't know why my AAMC verbal scores are so much better. The Kaplan verbal justs makes no sense to me, but whatever, as long as I keep getting good scores on the AAMC verbal, I don't care.

Practice 3r is a little lower than it should be because I took it on a commuter train mostly and 8 is a bit higher because I realized I had taken the PS section as a practice three months earlier.

I have been studying a lot since the diagnostic, but my scores are also jumping because my courseload this term is complementary. I am finishing Chem II now and also taking Vertebrate Physiology (helps a ton!) and Genetics (also very useful).

Kaplan diag: 29 (PS 8, BS 8, VR 13)
FL1: 35 (PS 12, BS 11, VR 12)

Doing FL2 this weekend!

hey everyone,

I was just wondering how much you guys improved from your first full length to your second (KAPLAN). Did you guys find FL 2 to be particularly easy? Here is my progression, and I don't really think i could have improved this much unless the second FL was a lot easier.

Diag: 22
FL1: 20
FL2: 34

this just seems odd, I haven't done any significant studying since my firsrt full length.

hey everyone,

I was just wondering how much you guys improved from your first full length to your second (KAPLAN). Did you guys find FL 2 to be particularly easy? Here is my progression, and I don't really think i could have improved this much unless the second FL was a lot easier.

Diag: 22
FL1: 20
FL2: 34

this just seems odd, I haven't done any significant studying since my firsrt full length.

I jumped 8 points on FL2. Even if it's easier, the scores are normalized, so it shouldn't really matter (but maybe there's something wrong with their scoring data). Can't really explain the jump though.

The point of the course is to review and reinforce (or sometimes learn for the first time) the material, learn and improve test-taking skills, and gain practice taking proctored full-length tests.

I had some issues with the Kaplan course, but they did do a good job of making the actual MCAT feel like just another FL.

I have no idea how you guys are doing so much better on the AAMC's as compared to your FL's.
Mine are:
Dia: 19
FL1: 24
FL2: 26
AAMC3: 24
FL3: 26
FL4: 26
FL5: 27
AAMC8: 23
AAMC7: 22

That is, I believe, the correct order. I've gone over the AAMC results and used three highlighters to mark the areas based on their priority so that I can focus on them and study. When I have time, I'll go over the actual tests and see what I missed and why.

Also, my Kaplan instructor said that the Kaplan *grading* is actually probably closer to the MCAT. ie, I could miss like half the PS questions and still get a 9. Sort of consfused me because I was told the AAMC CBT's would be more accurate in terms of grading.

Gah :(

The point of the course is to review and reinforce (or sometimes learn for the first time) the material, learn and improve test-taking skills, and gain practice taking proctored full-length tests.

I had some issues with the Kaplan course, but they did do a good job of making the actual MCAT feel like just another FL.

But I don't know if I want the MCAT to feel like a full length? Anyway, I started the course like 3 weeks ago and haven't done a single FL or AAMC, I feel like I'm totally behind, should I start doing them on my own or what? I mean I havent even done most of the preview & review things. Even the ones I did, I don't think I remember anything from them. I should have just not taken the course, I really regret it.

Don't worry, it will all come together. I definitely feel like the course helped me, if anything to get some structure to my studying. I did my 1st FL after finishing sections 1&2, following the Kaplan schedule, and even though I hadn't been making any effort to retain and memorize the material, I did a lot better than my diagnostic. I'm about to finish my first run through content review, and then I will be taking FLs more frequently as I do intensive review to memorize stuff.

I didn't think it was absolutely necessary to do a bunch of FLs early on (not that I had the time anyway) since you're not really prepared for them. However, you should do as much fo the preview/review stuff as possible. I did all the workshops and then the topical tests. I got a lot of questions wrong and had to go back to the material and make sure I understood it correctly. I think that really helped.

Anyway, don't despair! Studying for the MCAT is tough, but keep your eyes on the prize, and you will be fine.

Don't worry, it will all come together. I definitely feel like the course helped me, if anything to get some structure to my studying. I did my 1st FL after finishing sections 1&2, following the Kaplan schedule, and even though I hadn't been making any effort to retain and memorize the material, I did a lot better than my diagnostic. I'm about to finish my first run through content review, and then I will be taking FLs more frequently as I do intensive review to memorize stuff.

I didn't think it was absolutely necessary to do a bunch of FLs early on (not that I had the time anyway) since you're not really prepared for them. However, you should do as much fo the preview/review stuff as possible. I did all the workshops and then the topical tests. I got a lot of questions wrong and had to go back to the material and make sure I understood it correctly. I think that really helped.

Anyway, don't despair! Studying for the MCAT is tough, but keep your eyes on the prize, and you will be fine.

I totally agree. Taking FLs is good practice, but at the end of the day your score comes down to how well you know the material and how well you can apply it to passages. I stopped taking FLs after FL2 because I figured I could either spend those 8 hours on a Saturday learning how I'd do if I took the test today, or spend that time studying. I chose to study, and it paid off.

It's not too late to get in gear Beatrix. Good luck

Diagnostic 24--> FL #1 22--> Now: 29/30

Well, see, I was making that kind of progress too... 27 or 28 on Kaplan FL's. AAMC? ....22-24.

My Kaplan instructor said that Kaplan *score* was probably more accurate. But hey, I don't know. I'm just really ****ing confused.

Hi All,

Here's my data, I'll try to post more when I take more tests:

Diagnostic: 23
Full Length 1: 29
Full Length 2: 32

I'm actually a computer science / math double-major. I have 2 more quarters of ochem left and I've only taken 3 upper-div. bio courses. I have a feeling that the last score is not a good representation because I managed to guess 5 discrete questions correctly and moved my bio score from 8 to 10.

I decided to tabulate your guys' responses and do some math:

Average change from Diag to FL1: +4.167 points. (12 responses taken into account)
Average change from FL1 to FL2: +5 points. (6 responses taken into account)

Note that the +5 from FL1 to FL2 was heavily biased by the one poster who went up 14 points. Without him the change is: 3.2 points.

Only 3 people gave their scores for AAMC 8 and FL 1:

Average change from FL 1 to AAMC 8: +.667 points.

Hope this helps!

Diagnostic: 25 (PS = 9, VR = 6, BS = 10)
FL1: 32 (PS = 11, VR = 9, BS = 12)
FL2: 37 (PS = 13, VR = 10, BS = 14)
FL3: 37 (PS = 13, VR = 11, BS = 13)

26 on diagnostic and 34 on FL 5. Up to 36 on aamc exams. Finishing the exam and being comfortable should raise scores up by atleast 2 points in my case.

27 on kaplan diagnostic (it was a free practice test at my school to advertise their company)

35 on first AAMC, CBT3

hahaha...Naijaba, nice work with the calculations :D. I wouldn't have thought of doing that. Reminds me of a friend who always times how long a certain restaurant takes to make his food and then calculates the average time...lol

hey everyone, just wanted to ask those of you who have taken the MCAT already and kaplan prep if you think the full length exams were indicative of your final score?

is the mcat 2007 premier program tests that are included on the cd what you guys are talking about?

I love my practice scores...

diag 27
FL 1 31
FL 2 36
FL 3 32
FL 4 35
FL 5 32
(haha get ready for this)
FL 10 27
FL 11 24 (4 on verbal, hahahaha...sigh...)

aamc 8 - 30
aamc 3 - 28
aamc 7 - 32
aamc 9 - 33

lemme get some honest opinions...how do you guys think I'll fare on the real deal?

Diag 23
FL 1 23 - I was super annoyed
FL 2 26
FL 3 32
FL 4 29
FL 5 29
FL 6 29
FL 7 34

You have to push and believe you can improve. don't let your mind trick you that you have improved as much as you think you can because you can still see huge score jumps even very close to the test. Best of luck! :)

So on my diagnostic i scored a 22 and on my first full length practice test i scored a 26.. seem to be goin in a good direction.. how has everyone else improved??

I love my practice scores...

diag 27
FL 1 31
FL 2 36
FL 3 32
FL 4 35
FL 5 32
(haha get ready for this)
FL 10 27
FL 11 24 (4 on verbal, hahahaha...sigh...)

aamc 8 - 30
aamc 3 - 28
aamc 7 - 32
aamc 9 - 33

lemme get some honest opinions...how do you guys think I'll fare on the real deal?

I think Kaplan has a much easier curve, so your aamc may be more accurate, although there's a lower margin for error. Just don't freak out on test day, and avoid stupid mistakes :) easier said than done... i know.

here are my scores:
Diag: 24
FL1: 31 (2/3 through review at that point)
FL2: 36
FL3: 36
FL4: 38
FL5: 38