How's everyone's PharmCAS going along? 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolyLights

Space Monkey
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys doing on your PharmCAS, tired of clicking the add course and add session button yet? I am :D. But i'm just glad it's almost done and over :). G'luck everyone on your applications. Keep at it!!!! You can do it!!!

Members don't see this ad.

yea i have 170 units to put in . i dont understand why we have to manually insert the courses when we send them our transcripts anyways..

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished all my courses, took me nearly an hour of copy and pasting. Sent out my reference requests. All that is left is the personal statement, and of course, the pharmacy designations.

Fee waiver for this cycle are not up, am I correct?

Just finished all my courses, took me nearly an hour of copy and pasting. Sent out my reference requests. All that is left is the personal statement, and of course, the pharmacy designations.

Yeah, i couldn't find it anywhere, i'll call in tomorrow and ask when it'll be up.

I can't access to the sign up page. It just says, the application for 2009 will open in June 2008. Can someone please send me a link ?
Thank You.

I'm kind of hesitating on pharmcas...maybe i'll do it tonight so i don't procrastinate. is everyone done with their personal statement? what should i include in it? i'm also scared to ask one of the pharmacists i volunteer with in the hospital to recommend me...i haven't been there that long. any suggestions?

Depending on your school, your personal statement may be the most important part of your application aside from the PCAT and GPA. Many people I know who have applied before me spent several months on their statements, sending them out to various teachers/professionals/friends for a review. I intend to do the same thing, probably spending a good two months on it.

Depending on your school, your personal statement may be the most important part of your application aside from the PCAT and GPA. Many people I know who have applied before me spent several months on their statements, sending them out to various teachers/professionals/friends for a review. I intend to do the same thing, probably spending a good two months on it.

Wow, several months on a personal statement? I spent about 2.5 to 3 hours writing it and revising before submitting it when I applied. I don't think it should take so long and so many reviews from various people, unless you are not the writing type. Don't take that the wrong way, though. As long as you can succintly, accurately, and enthusiastically convey all of your ideas, motivations, passions, and talents into your statement as eloquently as possible, you'll be fine. The problem with submitting a statement to numerous people is that each individual will have a different perspective and therefore might offer a different criticism or idea as to how you can improve or clarify something. Taking all these well-intentioned ideas from teachers, professionals, and friends into account will make it ever more difficult and take you FOREVER to finally compose your final draft. Just something to think about. Good luck. :)

You, guys, are making me feel like a procrastinator. :(

You, guys, are making me feel like a procrastinator. :(

I agree with you on that Cheburashka.. I still havent started on my personal statment or even asked for recommendations.

I can't access to the sign up page. It just says, the application for 2009 will open in June 2008. Can someone please send me a link ?
Thank You.

yeah, I can't get to it either. Is there something everyone else knows that I don't? o-o

Members don't see this ad :)

Fee waiver is up, it's is under Pharmacy Designation, actually, let me just link it https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2009/instruction/pcas_fee_waiver.pdf

Did they changed it from last year? i remember it used to be 4 schools, but this year, 1st PharmCAS school is free, $40 subsequent.

I believe it was 3 free, but either way you're right, it has been reduced to one free + $40 for each additional. That's a shame, because I plan on applying to ~5 schools.

I have a question about the Transcript Request Form:

for Dates of Attendance, what should I put for FROM ___ TO _(this part)___ if I am still taking classes there? Should I put my anticipated month/ year before entering pharmacy school?

Procrastinator here and accounted for!

I plan to start it this weekend, and hopefully submit it by the end of this month. Good luck to us all!

Those of you entering your classes already are awesome :thumbup:

I wanted to do that yesterday but I have finals! I just filled in the easy stuff. I actually just finished my first final about an hour ago (think I did well)! Now I'm waiting for my next class to start. My last final is next week.

As for the personal statement, so far I've just brain stormed and wrote out things I'd want to put in.. but I haven't put it all together yet. I don't think it'll take 2 months for me... but I'm going to have 3 people look over it.

:luck::luck::luck:

Good luck with your pharmcas everyone!!!

However, I have a question for everyone here. Because of my immature frreshman year, I have a few withdraws (W) on my application. According to pharmcas, I suppose to put the number of units attempted even thought the class was dropped. My question is, how would this effect my pharmcas GPA? Would it lower my GPA during the final count?

Also, say I took a class once and failed it but too it a second time and passed it, would I put the additional comment "REPEATED" under the first one, second one, or both?

Thank you

I have 200+ credits and it was not funny copying and pasting the courses into Pharmcas. At least I am done with that section. I just mailed out requests for my transcripts and I have already submitted 2 requests for recommendations. As for my Personal statement, I have completed it but I am having it reviewed by different people. I am to wrap this up by early July. So I can focus on other things like studing for the Aug Pcats!

I have 200+ credits also! It took me forever to complete the coursework section of PharmCAS and I also went back to check if I put in the right units. There were definitely times when I was inputting grades where I was really proud of myself and there were some grades where I just cringed and thought to myself, "How did I ever get that ridiculous grade?" :laugh: I also started working on my personal statement and I think it's soooooo weird that I'm always inspired at 9am, 3:30pm, and 7pm. LoL.

^^ haha...too funny. i'm wondering the same thing...more like looking back and thinking about how stressed out i was during college. :laugh:

what are pharmacy designations?

Anybody applying to UF, why isn't the website updated yet?

Do you have to for the pcat scores and transcripts before e-submitting?

Thanks

For the references, does it actually send it out to the professor/person that you entered in the data for right away? I thought it just saves the information and then when you e-submit, then it sends it? So you do not have to e-submit to send out reference requests? Or maybe I am just not understanding the process correctly.

For the references, does it actually send it out to the professor/person that you entered in the data for right away? I thought it just saves the information and then when you e-submit, then it sends it? So you do not have to e-submit to send out reference requests? Or maybe I am just not understanding the process correctly.

It sends it right away before you e-submit.

Got all my courses entered and then called it a day....there has to be a more efficient way for that to be done.

Hoping to start my personal statement this weekend...let the fun begin.

what are pharmacy designations?

Anybody applying to UF, why isn't the website updated yet?

Do you have to for the pcat scores and transcripts before e-submitting?

Thanks

I am applying to UF, I wish they would update their website also!

But to answer you question, I emailed Marcy Davis two weeks ago about that question and here is what she said...
"the admissions committee won’t start reviewing completed applications that have to fall within a certain gpa range/PCAT range until November"

So, hopefully you will be taking the PCAT in august. You don't have to wait to submit, it just depends on whether the school will look at your application without it. UF... not so much.

Good luck to you!! and everyone else!!!:)

Didn't even start my personal statement yet because I have to study for finals as well... :(

For those of you who aren't sure where to group your AP scores, I emailed PharmCAS and this is what they said: "You should enter your AP scores under the first term you were enrolled at your university. Please be sure to list the Special Classification for the courses as “Advanced Placement”.

Good luck everyone!!!!

Ran into some trouble. I took Pre-Calculus when I was in 11th grade through a program from Queenborough Community College. I had it transferred over to LIU.

Now, do I need to get a transcript from QCC? This was back in 2004 and whenever I go online to try and request a transcript, they can't find me.

Anyway, as for the personal statement, that's all it is, a personal statement. There is no need to spend months on this thing.

Sparda - Yes, I'm pretty sure you have to get your transcript sent to PharmCAS from QCC. This is what PharmCAS says: "Enter each course once from the transcript where it was originally taken, even if the credits transferred to another institution."
Instead of requesting it online maybe you should try giving them a call :confused:

Ran into some trouble. I took Pre-Calculus when I was in 11th grade through a program from Queenborough Community College. I had it transferred over to LIU.

Now, do I need to get a transcript from QCC? This was back in 2004 and whenever I go online to try and request a transcript, they can't find me.

Anyway, as for the personal statement, that's all it is, a personal statement. There is no need to spend months on this thing.

im in a similar situation....they wont process your application without the queenborough college transcripts.

I took Anatomy at a community college. Does anyone know if it is considered lower or upper division?

When entering your references, do you put R.Ph. for a pharmacist as his title?? or Dr.? or ust Mr.?
:confused:

I took Anatomy at a community college. Does anyone know if it is considered lower or upper division?

I also have a question about lower vs upper division courses. Should I just go by the course numbering for the class (ie, 100 & 200 level classes are lower and 300 & 400 are upper) or is there some other way to determine this? My school has a requirement for the # of 300/400 level classes taken but on my grad check it lists some 200 level courses I've taken, like anatomy, organic chem, calculus and physics as satisfying the 300/400 level requirement. Anyone have any insight on this??

I also have a question about lower vs upper division courses. Should I just go by the course numbering for the class (ie, 100 & 200 level classes are lower and 300 & 400 are upper) or is there some other way to determine this? My school has a requirement for the # of 300/400 level classes taken but on my grad check it lists some 200 level courses I've taken, like anatomy, organic chem, calculus and physics as satisfying the 300/400 level requirement. Anyone have any insight on this??

To prevent confusion, go by the way that the classes are numbered on your transcript.

if it was taken at a cc i dont think you can call it upper division. Other then that I dont know

I have a question regarding the transcript request forms..
can you mail them to the colleges or do you have to drop them off in person? (i live about an hour from campus) and do you have to pay a fee for this?

Hi, I looked at my university's course catalog to determine whether the classes I took were lower or upper division. And if you're really confused I'm sure you can call your school's admissions office or a counselor and ask which classes are lower/upper division.

So there is a form that has our ID number that we need to give to schools to send with the our transcripts....Can we just do it online and not send the form with them? I know we run the risk of them possibly losing it since the form isn't with them, but is it possible? I do not live near one of the schools I attended and it would be a pain in the ass to travel and give them the form.

I want to apply for the 2010 cycle; however, I want to know which science and math classes PharmCAS will use for my science/math gpa....for example, will environmental science courses count, and wildlife courses (i used to be an environmental science major)? Is there any way to find this out this far in advance? Also, how does PharmCAS have you submit your grades? If you retake a class do they average the two grades and then give u credit once (example: a C then an A would be a 3.0 for 3 credits only) or do they put both grades in (example: the C then the A would be 2.0 for 3 credits and then a separate 4.0 for 3 credits)

Also, how far in advance did you all start working on your personal statements?

Thanks!

So there is a form that has our ID number that we need to give to schools to send with the our transcripts....Can we just do it online and not send the form with them? I know we run the risk of them possibly losing it since the form isn't with them, but is it possible? I do not live near one of the schools I attended and it would be a pain in the ass to travel and give them the form.

Yes, your school must have the paper form attached to the transcript or PharmCAS does not accept it. This will be a drive you will have to make, unless someone at the office is willing to print the PDF for you.

...stupid microsoft word... Apparently, it doesn't count spaces as characters, so now I need to cut off 807 characters from my personal statement to get it down to the right character count - -

a lot of major universities accept requests over fax; you can fax them the pharmcas form along with the transcript request.

anyone reapplying?

why do I have to reinput EVERYTHING , if it's almost the same from 2008.

also, reapplicants, are you completing retyping your essays?

I'm reapplying this coming year... I have an essay from before done but I will need to redo it to tune it.

Umm... I actually called PharmCas about that and they said that they just delete whatever stuff they had in their data banks for security reasons after the last year.

Hmm... I need to get into a pharmacy school... or rather a different one than that I am currently enrolled in.

I'm reapplying this coming year... I have an essay from before done but I will need to redo it to tune it.

Umm... I actually called PharmCas about that and they said that they just delete whatever stuff they had in their data banks for security reasons after the last year.

Hmm... I need to get into a pharmacy school... or rather a different one than that I am currently enrolled in.

I give you prop for going through the process again. Why what is wrong with your current pharmacy school? Too far from home?

Hi, how come honors like dean's list go in the extracurricular sections instead of the honors and awards? where are you guys listing it?

Also, is anybody waiting for the summer 2008 grades in order to submit your transcripts for the first time? Or are you requesting transcripts now, then at the end of summer, and finally after the academic update?

Thanks

anyone reapplying?

why do I have to reinput EVERYTHING , if it's almost the same from 2008.

also, reapplicants, are you completing retyping your essays?

I am reapplying and decided to change up my essay a bit. And yeah, we have to retype everything on our PharmCAS application. Sux, I know, but we gotta do it. Good luck!!