How's everyone's PharmCAS going along? 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone tried putting their personal statement in the PharmCAS personal essay box yet? How do I indent - using one or two spacebars? Right now when I indent using two spacebars I have 4,494 characters.

Members don't see this ad.

You can paste an indent from Notepad directly in there, I believe. However, special formatting, and I assume indenting, is frowned upon in such a form. Neat paragraphs are enough, I would think.

all transcripts requested...good for today.:)
ps, uop supplemental, & pharmacist to go

Members don't see this ad :)
On their instruction page it says that we can put up to 4 references but then at the bottom it says that it will only forward 3 references to the pharmacy school. What happens to the extra 1 reference then ? Would it just be wasted or what ? Could I put 4 references on pharmcas and then use that extra 1 reference in the supplemental application ?
I'm confused.....

1st Reference already submitted the Letter to phamrcas!!!:)

On their instruction page it says that we can put up to 4 references but then at the bottom it says that it will only forward 3 references to the pharmacy school. What happens to the extra 1 reference then ? Would it just be wasted or what ? Could I put 4 references on pharmcas and then use that extra 1 reference in the supplemental application ?
I'm confused.....

Where does it say that it will only forward 3?
I just see this in the FAQ:
Q: Can I send more than 4 references to PharmCAS?
A: PharmCAS will only accept 4 references per applicant. If you need to send an additional reference to one or more pharmacy schools for any reason, you must arrange for the extra reference to be sent directly to the pharmacy institution.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Anyways, I'm about halfway done entering classes. Now back to studying for finals :rolleyes: Have a great weekend everyone!

So there is a form that has our ID number that we need to give to schools to send with the our transcripts....Can we just do it online and not send the form with them? I know we run the risk of them possibly losing it since the form isn't with them, but is it possible? I do not live near one of the schools I attended and it would be a pain in the ass to travel and give them the form.

you can just mail the PharmCAS form to the school you need a transcript from with the transcript form from the school itself (if you can print one online) and just attach a note saying that the PharmCAS form has to go out with your transcript. I'm going to do that, but I'm going to check up on the school to make sure the PharmCAS form goes along with it.

The presence of this thread on SDN essentially bullied me into finally starting to fill out my own pharmcas. Every time I check out the main page, this thread is like a sore making me feel guilty I haven't started.:)

Does anyone know how to enter AP classes into Pharmcas? Because it doesn't let me add high school as the school where I got the course credit from.

I'm kinda confused on this part.
Can I put in BS degree as an award?
thanks

Its funny to see people talking about procrastinating already. It's been available for use only for a couple of days, not months! :lol: I was a procrastinator last year and I won't be making that :boom: mistake again. I didn't start my application until January.

Good luck to all.

where do u list any degrees you recieve and minor?

just wondering what the benefit is in applying early to a school which doesn't participate in early decision (most of them)? i was under the impression that they wait till all the applications are in (Dec. deadline for most schools) and schedule interviews in the winter?

i know it is recommended to apply early for dental and medical school but did not know the same was true for pharm?

Members don't see this ad :)
just wondering what the benefit is in applying early to a school which doesn't participate in early decision (most of them)? i was under the impression that they wait till all the applications are in (Dec. deadline for most schools) and schedule interviews in the winter?

i know it is recommended to apply early for dental and medical school but did not know the same was true for pharm?

1. Rolling admissions
2. For some schools (And I'm certainly not the expert) - they have rounds of interviews and acceptance offers. The earlier you apply, the more times your application is reviewed.

Im getting married in October. All my prereqs will be in my former name.

Think I should just apply now and send everything off as is? I think it may be easier than trying explain why my records dont match my name.

Stupid customary name changes. :smuggrin:

1. Rolling admissions
2. For some schools (And I'm certainly not the expert) - they have rounds of interviews and acceptance offers. The earlier you apply, the more times your application is reviewed.

so are you at a serious disadvantage by applying to one of the early decision schools? (since you are restricted to only that school until sometime in the fall when they make a decision, you will not be able to apply early to all the other schools and take advantage of the rolling admissions you mentioned).

I was under the impression that the rounds of inerviews and acceptance offers generally occur after the stated deadline. do they start interviewing in sept, oct, nov, etc. if we apply now?

This may be a silly question, but I've read the pharmcas instructions and am still unsure- do we need to enter the coursework as it's listed on the official transcript letter for letter? Like if it says "LANGUAGE & COMMUNICA" should I enter it like that, without the -TION and in all caps, too?

Under the Privacy section on PharmCas, it has an "Advisor Release" section. It has a short descriptor but I'm confused. Does anyone know what this would be used for?

so are you at a serious disadvantage by applying to one of the early decision schools? (since you are restricted to only that school until sometime in the fall when they make a decision, you will not be able to apply early to all the other schools and take advantage of the rolling admissions you mentioned).

I was under the impression that the rounds of inerviews and acceptance offers generally occur after the stated deadline. do they start interviewing in sept, oct, nov, etc. if we apply now?

As far as disadvantages ... I would say it depends on the individual.

If you are considering, say 5 or 6 schools, and 1 of those is listed in the early decision schools, then I would say you COULD be at a disadvantage. But of course, if your PCAT and GPA are really solid, then you may not be at a disadvantage.

Me, personally, I am chosing not to apply to the early admissions schools, primarily because there are not any close ones to me. I'm applying to 2 Florida schools which do offer rolling admissions as well as my somewhat local #1 choice.

thanks

I don't think so. You were awarded the BS degree but it is not an award. I think if you graduated with honors (cum laude) that would be considered an award/honor because it is a distinction based on merit that not everybody who graduates with a BS receives. I did not write that as an award when I applied. I hope this helped.

Please correct me if I am wrong.:D

Good luck everyone!

This may be a silly question, but I've read the pharmcas instructions and am still unsure- do we need to enter the coursework as it's listed on the official transcript letter for letter? Like if it says "LANGUAGE & COMMUNICA" should I enter it like that, without the -TION and in all caps, too?

I wrote it as, in your example, "Language & Communica." It seems silly to leave off the "-tion," but I believe that is what they are trying to tell you. I did not put it in caps - I doubt that is as big of a deal. At least if you leave off the "-tion" it will look like you can read directions.

everything entered, just waiting on references and transcripts... and taking the PCAT in 10 days ><

*edit*

1 transcript received... LORs not yet received...

Last edited:

I think you are confused. Rolling admissions is not "early admissions". Rolling admissions mean "first come, first serve", but you can apply to as many schools as you want. With rolling admissions, it is obviously an advantage to apply early. I don't know anything about early admissions schools. I avoided them, mainly because you want to apply to many pharm. schools to increase your chances of acceptance.

With traditional schools, you want to apply early, because many schools will give out a few seats (from 0-5 seats) after each round of interviews to the brightest applicants and the rest of the seats will be given out when interviews are over. All the schools I've interviewed with, did this. They never outright said it, unless asked, but someone always asked during the info sessions.

As with interviews sessions, it depends. Rolling admissions schools start interviewing applicants early. They usually group applicants, like people who apply in June and July will interview in late Aug, and then they move on. Traditional schools tend to interview after the deadline, but it greatly depends from school to school.

thanks

I'm not 100% positive but I agree with PaperDome, I don't think you do. I have my degrees listed in the Colleges Attended section since that is where they ask you if you've earned any degrees.

Under pharmacy school designations the first question you have to answer is "do you want to apply early decision"? This applies only to the schools that you designate that have this option, correct? And this has no effect on how soon your application will be forwarded towards the other schools?

From the PharmCAS website ...

Do you want to be considered an Early Decision applicant?
Check the box if you want to be considered an Early Decision (ED) applicant. The Early Decision application deadline is September 3, 2008. In addition to completing the PharmCAS application, you must arrange for PharmCAS to receive all of your transcripts by the September 3rd deadline. Contact your selected pharmacy program directly for information on Early Decision eligibility requirements.

The Early Decision program is a binding option for applicants who have decided that a particular pharmacy degree program is their first choice and they will enroll if accepted. As an Early Decision applicant, you can apply to only one pharmacy degree program. Not all participating pharmacy programs offer Early Decision status to applicants.

Admission Status for Early Decision Applicants
You may be offered early admission, denied early admission, or deferred to regular applicant status. If you are offered admission as an Early Decision applicant, you are obligated to accept the offer and you will not be permitted to apply to other PharmCAS institution during the current cycle. However, if you are denied admission as an Early Decision applicant, you may apply to other PharmCAS institutions for an additional fee. Refer to the PharmCAS application fee schedule to determine the cost of applying to each additional program. PharmCAS institutions will announce early decisions as soon as possible, and no later than Oct. 24th, 2008.

Early Decision PharmCAS Schools for 2009 Enrollment
Auburn University
Campbell University
Colorado, University of
East Tennessee State University
Howard University
Kentucky, University of
Maryland, University of
New Mexico, University of
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Pharmacy (NEOUCOP)
Oregon State University
Virginia Commonwealth University

I have a question For the section about College attended. and it says Attendance Date From: and Attendance Date to:... what should be my attendance date to? the date that I am going to finish up my prepharm or pharmacy school in general? Thanks in advance!

Does anybody know how will some schools that only require 2 LORs choose from the 4 references that PharmCAS allows to submit?

When you are entering honors, do you list Dean's list only once even though you got it multiple times or do you list each year you were on it?

When you are entering honors, do you list Dean's list only once even though you got it multiple times or do you list each year you were on it?

The instructions page says "List each activity only once. For instance, if you were on the “dean’s list” for more than one term, list that distinction only once."
However, I'm not sure what one would do about the dates (although they are not required fields so I suppose you could just leave them blank), and whether Dean's list and President's list should go together on the same thing or if I should make separate entries for them. Anyone have any advice on this?

Ok, so I understand that the pharmcas form needs to be sent in with transcripts. If I just have my school mail me my transcripts, and then I stick that in a larger envelope (still sealed) with the form, do you think that will be okay? That is what my school said to do, but I am a little iffy about that.

i think the directions tell applicants to have the transcripts sent directly from the school....otherwise they wont be accepted....not sure though...

Ok, so I understand that the pharmcas form needs to be sent in with transcripts. If I just have my school mail me my transcripts, and then I stick that in a larger envelope (still sealed) with the form, do you think that will be okay? That is what my school said to do, but I am a little iffy about that.

You should ask your schools sent the transcript directly to the pharmcas with the transcript request form.

The instructions page says "List each activity only once. For instance, if you were on the “dean’s list” for more than one term, list that distinction only once."
However, I'm not sure what one would do about the dates (although they are not required fields so I suppose you could just leave them blank), and whether Dean's list and President's list should go together on the same thing or if I should make separate entries for them. Anyone have any advice on this?

Do whatever makes you looks best.

I did one for each, because I dont have many.

YES!! i looked at my pharmcas status today they calculated my gpa and i got a email confirmation that they are mailing them to my schools. yeah!!!! early bird is the key so hopefully i should here back soon from schools. But does anyone know when UF is going to update the supp. on their website so we can start on it and summit it?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :luck:

Cut & Paste
anyone Reapplying?

Why Do I Have To Reinput Everything , If It's Almost The Same From 2008.

Also, Reapplicants, Are You Completing Retyping Your Essays?

YES!! i looked at my pharmcas status today they calculated my gpa and i got a email confirmation that they are mailing them to my schools. yeah!!!! early bird is the key so hopefully i should here back soon from schools. But does anyone know when UF is going to update the supp. on their website so we can start on it and summit it?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :luck:

WOW, when did you e-submit?? I submitted yesterday, but they haven't received one of my transcripts yet :rolleyes:

I'm not 100% positive but I agree with PaperDome, I don't think you do. I have my degrees listed in the Colleges Attended section since that is where they ask you if you've earned any degrees.

You're both right. Thanks for pointing that out.:thumbup:

WOW, when did you e-submit?? I submitted yesterday, but they haven't received one of my transcripts yet :rolleyes:

when CAN you e-submit? I still have yet to take the PCAT, one of my transcripts hasn't gotten there yet, and my letters of references haven't been submitted either. Otherwise everything else is complete. Do I need to wait for any of them before e-submitting?

when CAN you e-submit? I still have yet to take the PCAT, one of my transcripts hasn't gotten there yet, and my letters of references haven't been submitted either. Otherwise everything else is complete. Do I need to wait for any of them before e-submitting?

They encourage you to esummit it. if you have everything put in correctly and your satisfied with your essay you can esummit. it just prolongs everything if you dont. I e-summited mine on the 3rd and requested my transcripts from my schools to be sent on the same day and yesterday they got my last schools transcipts and emailed me a confirmation stating that they calculated my gpa and sent my info to my schools and on top of that im planning on taking the pcat in june so once they recieve my scores they mail those to the schools. They mail things out to your schools once they get them if you esummited your application, if u dont your application just sits there even if you are waiting for some stuff like one transcript or a pcat. they dont do anything till you esummit and pay of course, so if your DONE COMPLETELY like you are content with your essay and your info is correct i would. But once you esummit it tells you what you can and can't change or add once you do so you'll get an idea. SO E-SUMMIT :D and good luck :luck:

They encourage you to esummit it. if you have everything put in correctly and your satisfied with your essay you can esummit. it just prolongs everything if you dont. I e-summited mine on the 3rd and requested my transcripts from my schools to be sent on the same day and yesterday they got my last schools transcipts and emailed me a confirmation stating that they calculated my gpa and sent my info to my schools and on top of that im planning on taking the pcat in june so once they recieve my scores they mail those to the schools. They mail things out to your schools once they get them if you esummited your application, if u dont your application just sits there even if you are waiting for some stuff like one transcript or a pcat. they dont do anything till you esummit and pay of course, so if your DONE COMPLETELY like you are content with your essay and your info is correct i would. But once you esummit it tells you what you can and can't change or add once you do so you'll get an idea. SO E-SUMMIT :D and good luck :luck:

Thanks, but what about the letter of references? Do I need to wait for those to be submitted to PharmCAS by my references before I e-submit?

Hey babygirl7eleven, are you taking classes this summer? you didn't wait for your summer 2008 grades to be on your transcript?

:clap: Congrats to all my fellow class of 2008 graduates!

I entered all of my classes, all transcripts are being sent, now working on essays and those letters of recommendations.

Confused a bit. Why is it beneficial to submit it now? I mean PharmCAS doesn't submit it to schools until August. Unless all your transcripts are received, there isn't any point to e-submitting, except peace of mind (or the converse if you find a mistake somewhere). It doesn't get your GPA calculated any faster if all transcripts were not received. So anyone who submits by July when all their transcripts were recorded on PharmCAS would technically be as early as anyone else, assuming the GPA calculation works out on time. Also, for your PharmCAS to be complete the eLORs must all be in to be complete, granted this can happen after submitting your eLOR. I'm just putting it out there for those who are stressed out to be early.

Having said that, there's always benefits for applying early. Mainly that you probably (although the converse may be true) will get interviews early in the season as opposed to later. Even for non-rolling, this is traditionally true.

Confused a bit. Why is it beneficial to submit it now? I mean PharmCAS doesn't submit it to schools until August. Unless all your transcripts are received, there isn't any point to e-submitting, except peace of mind (or the converse if you find a mistake somewhere). It doesn't get your GPA calculated any faster if all transcripts were not received. So anyone who submits by July when all their transcripts were recorded on PharmCAS would technically be as early as anyone else, assuming the GPA calculation works out on time. Also, for your PharmCAS to be complete the eLORs must all be in to be complete, granted this can happen after submitting your eLOR. I'm just putting it out there for those who are stressed out to be early.

Having said that, there's always benefits for applying early. Mainly that you probably (although the converse may be true) will get interviews early in the season as opposed to later. Even for non-rolling, this is traditionally true.

i say summit it only if you are done with everything for the most part. PEOPLE IF you are content with your pharmcas app summit it dont procrastinate, and dont let people discourage u.

I did a grade replacement on one class - and I understand that PharCAS calculates all grades - but on my transcripts they do not list the previous grade for that class. It just has an 'R' now. Does anyone know how this will work?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: