How's my GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veeolist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm almost done my undergrad, bachelor's of music. GPA:

FR: 2.7
SO: 3.0
JR: 3.2
SR: 3.6

AVG: 3.125

Being a music student, I haven't taken any of the pre-reqs for medschool, so I'm enrolling as non-degree student to start taking those and prepare for MCAT. Assuming I land 3.7-4.0 on all BCPM courses (which would bring my combined GPA to about 3.3,) and score circa 30+ on MCAT, how are my chances for M.D.? Combining those scores with work as an EMT, work with New York City Rescue Workers Detoxification Project (at Ground Zero), and some other decent experiences I'll try to have the next couple of years, how is my candidacy for M.D.? Thanks for your candor!

Members don't see this ad.

To land an allopathic spot you are probably going to have to Ace the MCAT. However, you really never know untill you apply so don't ever get discouraged. You may also wish to consider applying to at least a few DO schools; they are often much more forgiving.

Best of luck

hey, ur improvment really helps the situation. but u need to kick azz on your BCMP grades. it sounds good to me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for responding! More people, please tell me what you think about my chances!!

Also, what's the primary difference btwn MD and OD professions?

veeolist said:
thanks for responding! More people, please tell me what you think about my chances!!

Also, what's the primary difference btwn MD and OD professions?

One is a Medical Doctor and the other is Doctor of Optometry?

I suppose you mean DO, but that has been covered so often and usually ends in flames. Do a search.

VEEOLIST..........a D.O. is a doctor of osteopathic medicine......osteo incorporates a holist approach to medicine. Alot of hands on healing also. Google it man.

its not as holistic or hands on healing anymore

I heard from a friend who applied with lower grades that he was interviewed and they noticed the "upward trend" in his grades, too. Didn't get him in at that school, but it says something for you. Good luck!

Go for it! I have a 3.3 GPA from UNC and a 29 MCAT. I have been accepted this yr to an MD program. Two of the MCAT sections were real good and one ehh. Numbers are important but they are not everything. If you have lots of volunteer time and even some direct patient care you should apply. Good Luck! :luck: :luck: :luck:

samboo said:
Go for it! I have a 3.3 GPA from UNC and a 29 MCAT. I have been accepted this yr to an MD program. Two of the MCAT sections were real good and one ehh. Numbers are important but they are not everything. If you have lots of volunteer time and even some direct patient care you should apply. Good Luck! :luck: :luck: :luck:

thank you thank you thank you samboo! I need to know it's not an impossible dream, and your example proves it! What type of volunteering/direct patient care were you involved in??