How's my standing as of the end of sophomore year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthylMethylMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an honors student double majoring in Pre-Med and Forensic Biology with a minor in chemistry attending the University of New Haven. I can't say I know how good or bad my school is, because I didn't want to go medical until late freshman year (was originally going to do some kind of laboratory science), but I don't think it's awful by any means. Anyway, I messed up freshman year, in particular in my biology courses, but I want to know if my decent improvement in my sophomore year could help to repair it.

Freshman year - Fall semester
Genetics: B-
General Chemistry I (Honors): A-
General Chemistry I Lab: B-
Introduction to Criminal Justice: A-
Freshman Experience Seminar: A+
Introduction to Forensic Science: A+
Elementary Statistics: B

Freshman year - Spring semester
Molecular Biology: B
General Chemistry II (Honors): A-
General Chemistry II Lab: C+
Criminal Law: A-
Public Speaking: B
Music Theory: A

Sophomore year - Fall semester
Organic Chemistry I: A-
Organic Chemistry I Lab: B+
Introduction to C Programming: A
History: A+
Physics I: A
Ethics: A

Sophomore year - Spring semester
Organic Chemistry II: A
Organic Chemistry II Lab: B+
Evaluation of Scientific Literature: A-
Journal Production (Honors): A-
Professional Practices in Forensic Science: A-
Introduction to Psychology: A+
Physics II: B+

As of now, my overall GPA is 3.590, and my sGPA is 3.390. Neither are what most here would consider "good" by a long shot, but I really learned to get my head in the books more this year. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good upward trend going, and a poor performance your freshman year is more forgivable than having a bad sophomore or junior year. Make sure you keep improving next year and take some upper level science courses to continue your upward trend and improve your science GPA. The average GPA for people accepted to MD school is around 3.6 (both science and cumulative) so you should try to get as close to that as possible. I'm assuming you used AP Bio credit? Starting out freshman year with genetics and molecular bio probably wasn't the best course of action, and there are many med schools that don't accept AP credit for some pre-reqs, so you may want to consider taking General Bio 1 and 2 if you really want to go to any of these schools:
http://students.rice.edu/images/stu... allopathic medicine- updated summer 2010.pdf
(Note: the list is from 2010 so some schools may have changed their requirements. double check with the school's website)

Relax, you're only a sophomore! Try to get your GPA up to a 3.7 or do by application time. Take a gap year if you need to so your senior grades are there too. You are not in bad shape by any means.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming you used AP Bio credit? Starting out freshman year with genetics and molecular bio probably wasn't the best course of action, and there are many med schools that don't accept AP credit for some pre-reqs, so you may want to consider taking General Bio 1 and 2 if you really want to go to any of these schools:
http://students.rice.edu/images/stu... allopathic medicine- updated summer 2010.pdf
(Note: the list is from 2010 so some schools may have changed their requirements. double check with the school's website)

Agh, yeah, I heard that that could happen. I did use AP bio credit. I'll have to consider taking them during next Winter and Summer breaks. Thanks!

Relax, you're only a sophomore! Try to get your GPA up to a 3.7 or do by application time. Take a gap year if you need to so your senior grades are there too. You are not in bad shape by any means.

Aha, I've heard similar advice from friends and family members, come to think of it. I hear a lot of people try to get their applications in junior-early senior year of undergrad, is this true?

Aha, I've heard similar advice from friends and family members, come to think of it. I hear a lot of people try to get their applications in junior-early senior year of undergrad, is this true?

If you want to go straight into med school after graduation (like I am), you apply during the summer after your junior year and interview during your senior year.

If you want to go straight into med school after graduation (like I am), you apply during the summer after your junior year and interview during your senior year.

Ah, really? Do you think I could make that work out if I planned to take the MCAT during the Summer after my junior year? I'm not familiar with how the timing works out for the test scores, med school replies, etc.

Ah, really? Do you think I could make that work out if I planned to take the MCAT during the Summer after my junior year? I'm not familiar with how the timing works out for the test scores, med school replies, etc.
In your case, I'd recommend taking a gap year unless you anticipate doing very well on the MCAT or are interested in applying DO. If you were to take the MCAT after your junior summer, you'd be in line to apply the summer after your senior year. You would then go on interviews the following year, resulting in a gap year.

You're looking pretty good at this point. Just keep the better grades coming. Your sophomore year is particularly good. The next two years will allow you to beef up your GPA.