How's the job market for PAs? I'm a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennifercassismith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a pharmacist considering changing careers. Our job market is supersaturated and its difficult to find work. I was wondering if the PA market is becoming saturated too, or are jobs plentiful? Do you have a difficult time finding work?

Members don't see this ad.

plenty of jobs if you are willing to work places docs don't want to go(rural, inner city, midwest, alaska, etc)
see here for a taste(750 jobs on one site):
http://www.healthecareers.com/aapa/search-jobs/
This site also allows you to search by specialty. for example there are 83 em pa jobs on the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just an EMT but that post seems a little misleading... I live in between DC and Baltimore and the facilities I transport to are always advertising for PAs on their website. And craigslist is filled with PA jobs in my area which is nowhere near rural.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im just an EMT but that post seems a little misleading... I live in between DC and Baltimore and the facilities I transport to are always advertising for PAs on their website. And craigslist is filled with PA jobs in my area which is nowhere near rural.
REREAD my post. notice inner city? that would be baltimore and DC facilities that use PAs for the most part....I trained in DC for awhile and had friends training in baltimore and know the facilities using PAs there...needless to say they are not in great neighborhoods for the most part....the words "combat zone" come to mind....

REREAD my post. notice inner city? that would be baltimore and DC facilities that use PAs for the most part....I trained in DC for awhile and had friends training in baltimore and know the facilities using PAs there...needless to say they are not in great neighborhoods for the most part....the words "combat zone" come to mind....
Hmmm.. I used to live in the DC metro area and also taught in the inner city over by Hopkins, the school was City Springs, also taught over at Patapsco Elementary across the bridge, oh and also in DC in Adams Morgan, school right down the street from Heaven and Hell club, I forget the name, oh Mary Reed. Anyway, I know what issues you can have as a teacher, but I don't see what type of issues you could have as a provider? Hmmm, any ideas? At least you all have the opportunity to work in the city. Pharmacist jobs are so tight- I did a 3 month stint in Kotzebue, Alaska, and guess what........they don't need pharmacists, even in the most northern city Barrow- go figure. As a matter of fact, at any one time there are more pharmacists running around than people in hospital beds in those villages(I wouldn't go so far as to call them cities, at least not where I was, no hair salon, bar, club, no anything(but that's another story)). When you don't need pharmacists in Kotzebue, Alaska, or Barrow, Alaska, where you have to go everywhere in a vehicle due to polar bears,.........lol that's when you know the pot is seriously boiling over. I'm in Miami, Fl btw, probably will have to move. :(

Last edited:
plenty of jobs if you are willing to work places docs don't want to go(rural, inner city, midwest, alaska, etc)
see here for a taste(750 jobs on one site):
http://www.healthecareers.com/aapa/search-jobs/
This site also allows you to search by specialty. for example there are 83 em pa jobs on the site.

There are quite a few pharmacist jobs remaining if you are willing to work places nobody wants to go (rural, Alaska, parts of west Texas)

There are quite a few pharmacist jobs remaining if you are willing to work places nobody wants to go (rural, Alaska, parts of west Texas)
LOL been there done that. At this time of the year in the village in Alaska, its like living in a hole and coming out to work, that's it, that's all you can do.

No exaggeration, I've investigated PA school for the last several weeks (out of curiosity). I think a number of us in pharmacy are afraid of not landing a job in a normal location.

No exaggeration, I've investigated PA school for the last several weeks (out of curiosity). I think a number of us in pharmacy are afraid of not landing a job in a normal location.

Yeah. Interestingly, my wife is a PA. We live in a location that is a "moderate" pharmacy market...not amazing, but most new grads who have interned extensively with a company or hospital do get hired on. When looking for PA jobs in this same market, she got interviews from >75% of her applications, and got offers from >75% of the places she interviewed. It is a strong field here right now.

On a side note, I've asked her the "If you had it to do over again..." question and she says she would have done pharmacy school instead.

On a side note, I've asked her the "If you had it to do over again..." question and she says she would have done pharmacy school instead.
Did she say why she would have done pharmacy instead of PA?

Yes. Of course she has never worked in a pharmacy, so if the tables were turned it might be a different story.

I was asking because I'm curious what her reasons were.

I was asking because I'm curious what her reasons were.

I think it's a multi-faceted opinion. Although the PA market is great here, we still live in an area where there is a distrust for anyone without an MD behind their name. Many people here don't know what DO means, let alone PA-C or APRN. A lot of people think she must be some glorified medical assistant or nurse.

She works in a small clinic with an MD and another PA. The standard practice is for the physician to see all new patients and select complicated cases, whereas the PAs see the follow-ups and standard check-ups. Almost daily she gets a follow-up patient who will say "You're nice and all and I'm sure you're really good, but I would prefer to see the Dr from now on. I'm sure you understand...he's the expert on this and I would just be more comfortable with him." Happens to her PA colleague as well.

On top of it all, PA school was very intense. I don't think she would go through it again.

I think it's a multi-faceted opinion. Although the PA market is great here, we still live in an area where there is a distrust for anyone without an MD behind their name. Many people here don't know what DO means, let alone PA-C or APRN. A lot of people think she must be some glorified medical assistant or nurse.

She works in a small clinic with an MD and another PA. The standard practice is for the physician to see all new patients and select complicated cases, whereas the PAs see the follow-ups and standard check-ups. Almost daily she gets a follow-up patient who will say "You're nice and all and I'm sure you're really good, but I would prefer to see the Dr from now on. I'm sure you understand...he's the expert on this and I would just be more comfortable with him." Happens to her PA colleague as well.

On top of it all, PA school was very intense. I don't think she would go through it again.

Thanks for sharing that. I appreciate the perspective.

Hello. I'm a pharmacist considering changing careers. Our job market is supersaturated and its difficult to find work. I was wondering if the PA market is becoming saturated too, or are jobs plentiful? Do you have a difficult time finding work?

Did you ever decide to do PA instead of being a pharmacist? If so was it worth the change? Any suggestions for those thinking about make a similar change? Would you do PA or something else?

Reactions: 1 user