David1991

7+ Year Member
May 26, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, this is my current planned course sequence. What do you think? I'm open to any critiques/suggestions.

In addition to the med school required courses I added Biology of the Eukaryotic Cell, Microanatomy, Microbiology and Biochemistry. I pushed microanatomy to senior year though so I guess med schools wouldn't see that? Mainly I'm interested in how this looks for med schools, so before senior year mostly.

This doesn't include volunteering, shadowing, research, etc..

Thanks!

Freshman Fall:

-General Chemistry 1 (Lab)
-Spanish 103
-Psychology 101
-First Year Seminar Program (required course for all freshmen)

Freshman Spring:

-General Chemistry 2 (Lab)
-Themes in Biology (Lab)
- Psychology 121 Tools and Methods
-Spanish 103
-Pre-Calc

Sophomore Fall:
-Calculus
-Organic Chem 1 (Lab)
-Health and Exercise Science 160
-Health and Exercise Science 172

Sophomore Spring:
-Physics 1 (Lab)
-Organic Chem 2 (Lab)
-HES Course
-HES Course

Junior Fall:
-Physics 2 (Lab)
-Biology of the Eukaryotic Cell
-Genetics (Lab)
-Liberal Learning Req

Junior Spring:
-Biochemistry (Lab)
-Microbiology (Lab)
-LL Req
-HES course

-Take MCAT/Apply to Medical School

Senior Fall:
-HES Course
-Microanatomy (Lab)
-LL Req
-HES Course

Senior Spring:
-HES Course
-HES Internship
-HES Course
-HES Course

rcheech7

EM
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey, it seems sound. You've got all of the pre-reqs done. The only thing I would recommend is a statistics class, specifically "Experimental Statistics" or something of that nature. Many med-schools are starting to require statistics as a pre-req.

I would also take the MCAT twice. The first time right before 1st semester junior year or right after. The second time right where you have it.

David1991

7+ Year Member
May 26, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, it seems sound. You've got all of the pre-reqs done. The only thing I would recommend is a statistics class, specifically "Experimental Statistics" or something of that nature. Many med-schools are starting to require statistics as a pre-req.

I would also take the MCAT twice. The first time right before 1st semester junior year or right after. The second time right where you have it.
Hm I've usually heard to take the MCAT just once, where did you hear to take it twice?

My major actually does require a Stats course (STA 115) but I took AP stat in high school which counts for credit towards STA 215

oaklandguy

Dismembered
Jul 22, 2009
On the shores of my conscious
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude a lot can change in 1-2 years, I would ease up on picking Junior and Senior year schedules from now just cause anything can happen. It's good to have a plan, but I think what you are doing is overkill. Lighten up a bit, worry about junior and senior year when they come lol.

rcheech7

EM
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hm I've usually heard to take the MCAT just once, where did you hear to take it twice?
The "pre-health" advisor at my school told me that it is like the ACT in a way, the second time you take it you always do better, and the third time (and every time after that) is always worse than your first.

oaklandguy

Dismembered
Jul 22, 2009
On the shores of my conscious
Status
Pre-Medical
The "pre-health" advisor at my school told me that it is like the ACT in a way, the second time you take it you always do better, and the third time (and every time after that) is always worse than your first.
Why fix something that isn't broke? Only take it as many times as you have to. You can take practice MCATs which will replicate the full lengther, so it won't feel like it's your first time (proverbially losing your MCAT virginity). I think you shouldn't trust every single thing your advisor says.

David1991

7+ Year Member
May 26, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Dude a lot can change in 1-2 years, I would ease up on picking Junior and Senior year schedules from now just cause anything can happen. It's good to have a plan, but I think what you are doing is overkill. Lighten up a bit, worry about junior and senior year when they come lol.
Yea I guess, but I pretty much have to take certain classes to get everything in by graduation. I only have 3 courses right now (the liberal learning requirements) that I'm not sure about yet, everything else is basically set. Also, I'm more wondering about the general outlook on it, like if it looks "rigorous" enough for med schools and whatnot

Thanks

rcheech7

EM
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Why fix something that isn't broke? Only take it as many times as you have to. You can take practice MCATs which will replicate the full lengther, so it won't feel like it's your first time (proverbially losing your MCAT virginity). I think you shouldn't trust every single thing your advisor says.
And I definitely do not trust everything he says. And I do agree, I'm only going to take it as many times as I have to, but I shouldn't have to take it more than twice. My first one is at the end of this summer, so I guess after that I will see where I need to go.

David1991

7+ Year Member
May 26, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Do med schools know how many times you've taken it and/or get to see each time's results?

rcheech7

EM
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Whenever AAMC sends them your scores, they will see the most recent on top, and then previous ones below it. So yes they will. But the really important thing is that if you did bad in one area the first time, that you improve it the second time you take it. Continual low scores in one area looks bad.