How's this for a career plan: Critical Care / Hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasBoy

You talkin' to me?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Critique this plan and tell me if I'm being realistic. IM-->pulmonary/cc fellowship then taking a job as an intensivist and making extra cash as a hospitalist on the side.

2 weeks a month in an ICU as an intensivist
1 week a month working on the regular floors as a hospitalist
1 week a month off.

Am I being realistic that that kindof schedule is available? I'm thinking that I can basically earn an intensivist salary and supplement my income with part time hospitalist work. The 1 week a month of hospitalist work would basically be a "step down" from the stress of the ICU (don't want to get burnt out... and I like hospitalist work anyway), but still a way to make money other than pulmonary/sleep clinic work (I hate outpatient clinics).

Feasible? (I'm thinking that yearly earning would come about to about 300k... if anyone would hire someone looking for this kindof schedule).

Members don't see this ad.

Why even bother with the pulmonary part?

I'm sure it can be done. Its just a matter of finding a group of docs looking for someone to work that kind of schedule for them. I imagine you'll probably need to be employed by two separate groups, one for the hospitalist work and the other for the intensivist work. However, you may be able to find a hospital willing to hire you for that kind of set up.
It can't hurt to try. As far as lifestyle goes I think it would be pretty nice. I like both hospitalist and intensivist work also. I don't know which route I'm going to go yet, but I'm starting an IM residency this June.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard of fresh Pulm-cc docs working 26 weeks a year for an easy 250K plus productivity bonus plus benefits.

Heck yeah. I know of hospitals in my town that are hiring just that. There's a movement for ICUs to be staffed w/ intensivists 24/7...probably would want to look into critical care only fellowships rather than pulm/cc if you don't want to have a clinic/consult on the floors.

What would people think of a 1 yr. critical care fellowship after a certain amount of experience as a Hospitalist. I know a lot people are sick of being a resident and want to make some money so they start working as a hospitalist. Then they don't want to go back and do 2-3 yrs Pulm/CC after making a nice salary.

This would draw more experienced docs who prob have most of the intpatient skills to CC medicine.

Any thoughts?

B-