HPAC evaluations and their worth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you have an HPAC at the universe you attend, or attended, but I've heard that most medical schools prefer one of their evaluations over applying without them. This makes sense and I understand the preference, but the university I completed my undergrad did NOT have an HPAC committee and now the university I took biochemistry with in the fall has one.
My problem: a good evaluation from them requires knowledge of my academic abilities which consist of one class at their university so far (B in biochemistry, professor is happy to write a recommendation). This would mean taking another class during which time I'm studying for my MCAT in January, attempting volunteer work AND while running a small business I recently started.
Do I proceed with next year's application without them or do I need to try my hardest to get their evaluation? I would love to hear from an adcom member to weigh the importance of an HPAC evaluation.

Members don't see this ad.

It's different school to school. Why don't you check out some of the schools you're interested in? They generally have this info on their websites (as an example, here's Einstein's LOE page where they specify committee letters from the school where you completed your pre-reqs) They often specify what non-trads/post-bacc students should do instead of a committee letter.
One class obviously doesn't constitute a long-term post-bacc, but a letter from there if possible, might be useful.

Thank you, great information! Really appreciate it.