HPLRP A good Alternative to HPSP in my Situation? 400K?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Garett24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone help me analyze taking a HPLRP with the National Guard from a monetary perspective? Is it possible to Do that for six years and take the stipend as well? In other words does the stipend ADD WITH the 6 years making it 10 years? That would be dumb. Anyway I will most likely be graduating with 400k so is this a good alternative to the HPSP? I am on a waiting list for 3-year ARMY HPSP but I really don't know my chances.

Answer this question: Is Base Pay+ Bonus+ Debt repayment (40k-taxes) More advantageous from a MONETARY PERSPECTIVE as apposed to a 10 year payback plane or Paye?

Also with Paye couldn't you just lower you AGI with index funds/Trad IRA and have the interest out compete the tax bomb after 20 years?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you get off the OML with the army.

as far as national guard, I personally would not do it unless you go to a state school.

Look into state-based repayment options; I know NY and NJ have options to work in low-served areas (including NYC). Good luck on the OML.