HPLRP and STRAP for PERIO resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superGP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking into many of the threads, but couldn't find one specifically tailored to my situation.

After practicing dentistry for 4 years, I will be starting Perio Residency at a private institution in July, 2015.

I was trying to see if military would have a program similar to HPSP, but all I have found was HPLRP and STRAP in the reserve.

1. Does perio residency meet the requirement for STRAP and HPLRP program? I saw in the official document from AMEDD that perio(63D) is eligible but all of the information from this forum says otherwise.

2. The document that I read said that HPLRP and STRAP may be offered at the same time. So If I were eligible and take maximum of both (3 years of residency and 6 years of HPLRP), will I incur 12 years of obligation (6 from STRAP, 6 from HPLRP), or can my obligation be combined concurrently to 6 years total?

I guess if I get a "no" from 1st question, then 2nd question will become unnecessary.

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.