HPSP ADO Alternatives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was searching around the net about HPSP because there is apparently a new policy for NROTC folks, but I came across this:

http://www.tricare.osd.mil/policy/fy98/ado9804.html

I'm sure all of you all are already aware of this document, but I haven't seen it mentioned. A particularly interesting clause is:

# Alternatives. It is DoD policy that all individuals who incur a service obligation as a result of participating in AFHPSP, FAP, or USUHS must fulfill that obligation either by active service or through the alternatives prescribed herein. The Secretary of the Military Department concerned shall prescribe one of the following alternatives for participants who are dropped from the program, or relieved of their active duty obligation, prior to fulfillment of the ADO with his or her parent Service. These alternatives are available to the extent allowed by the agreement signed by the participant, or, alternatively, to the extent the participant agrees with the alternative. The alternatives are:

1. An active duty service obligation in another Armed Force for a period of time equal to the member's remaining ADO.

2. A service obligation in a component of the Selected Reserve (SelRes) for a period twice the member's remaining ADO.

3. A service obligation as a civilian employee employed as a health care professional in a facility of the Uniformed Services for a time period equal to the member's remaining ADO. This alternative applies only to a member serving on active duty who is separated by reason of physical disability.

4. Repayment to the Secretary of Defense a percentage of the cost incurred by the Secretary on behalf of the member equal to the percentage of the member's total ADO service being relieved, plus interest. This alternative applies to AFHPSP/FAP participants only.

There is probably more to this than I am reading. Also, does anyone know the new policy for NROTC for HPSP? All the stuff I pull up is about 15 years old, and the admin at my unit tells me that they will issue a statement every January about HPSP for ROTC.

Members don't see this ad.

I was searching around the net about HPSP because there is apparently a new policy for NROTC folks, but I came across this:

http://www.tricare.osd.mil/policy/fy98/ado9804.html

I'm sure all of you all are already aware of this document, but I haven't seen it mentioned. A particularly interesting clause is:

# Alternatives. It is DoD policy that all individuals who incur a service obligation as a result of participating in AFHPSP, FAP, or USUHS must fulfill that obligation either by active service or through the alternatives prescribed herein. The Secretary of the Military Department concerned shall prescribe one of the following alternatives for participants who are dropped from the program, or relieved of their active duty obligation, prior to fulfillment of the ADO with his or her parent Service. These alternatives are available to the extent allowed by the agreement signed by the participant, or, alternatively, to the extent the participant agrees with the alternative. The alternatives are:

1. An active duty service obligation in another Armed Force for a period of time equal to the member's remaining ADO.

2. A service obligation in a component of the Selected Reserve (SelRes) for a period twice the member's remaining ADO.

3. A service obligation as a civilian employee employed as a health care professional in a facility of the Uniformed Services for a time period equal to the member's remaining ADO. This alternative applies only to a member serving on active duty who is separated by reason of physical disability.

4. Repayment to the Secretary of Defense a percentage of the cost incurred by the Secretary on behalf of the member equal to the percentage of the member's total ADO service being relieved, plus interest. This alternative applies to AFHPSP/FAP participants only.

There is probably more to this than I am reading. Also, does anyone know the new policy for NROTC for HPSP? All the stuff I pull up is about 15 years old, and the admin at my unit tells me that they will issue a statement every January about HPSP for ROTC.

All of these options are at the discretion of the Secretary of the indvidual service ie SecNav. He has no interest in your money. He wants your time in service. These merely give him options should he desire them. For instance if you are homosexual, he could make you serve as a GS doc or in the Public Health Service, or if you have a limiting physical disability he could do the same.