HPSP and medical research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TxsMed14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for Navy HPSP, but my question is for all branches in general, since they all briefly reference "research" without going into much detail. (The Navy video in particular shows LABS and RESEARCH several times).

I've spoken to physicians in military programs, who have said most of the researchers they encounter are civilian scientists who work for the DoD.

Are there HPSP meds out there hoping to go into, or are in, medical/clinical research? What are the opportunities like if you have a strong research background? (particularly, are there any research programs part of the active duty commitment).

Anyone who is in or can reference me to someone involved in a program like this, please PM me!

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

This would be of interest to me to. I've accepted an AF HPSP and will begin school this fall. Prior to that though I completed a PhD in Biochemistry a year ago and don't want to leave the world of research completely behind either...
Any suggestions for ways to maintain a physician-scientist role in mil med would be greatly appreciated!

In my opinion, the reason that they put all of these supposed requirements is to make HPSP and milmed seem more competitive (and prestigious) than it really is for people on the outside

When I was applying, they actually waived the in-person and phone interviews, letters of req, and some other things. I was not a spectacular applicant FWIW, and they told me about all the waivers the day they were due.

As far as the PhD post above, be prepared to shelve your PhD and research until milmed gets their pound of flesh from you, either through a nice GMO/FS tour, or an assignment to a place that you have never heard of before (although AF bases do tend to be in much better places)

Last edited:
Not sure about the other services but Army has an advanced IM fellowship that is centered around research and you get your MPH during the two years. Most of the graduates I know move into a PD role that is a little more conducive to research. Most of the army hospitals have a IRB and some resources but it is still pretty easy to work with the ISR in San Antonio (I have two projects now) and they have fantastic resources. Your research is likely not going to involve much benchwork but as much as I hate AHLTA, mining it does have some value.