HPSP and NHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied simultaneously to both? Trying to figure out timelines to both scholarships as I enter D-school Fall 2012.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone applied simultaneously to both? Trying to figure out timelines to both scholarships as I enter D-school Fall 2012.

Apply to your branch of choice (HPSP) now! With stats like yours you would be a shoe in for any of the three branches; just have to get your application in before all of the spots are gone. Talk to a recruiter who deals with medical personnel, not the enlisted one.

I really don't know anything about NHSC, I didn't apply b/c I had no intention of practicing in disadvantaged areas (for the entire length of my career), and I couldn't take the money in good conscience.

You should do your HPSP now

Last edited:
Thanks Philly,

How does the process work if I only want to do a 3-year? Apply in D1? And, are there 3 year scholarships reserved for students?

May I ask why you chose army, and on a broader scale, why HPSP? Any military background?

Thanks Philly,

How does the process work if I only want to do a 3-year? Apply in D1? And, are there 3 year scholarships reserved for students?

May I ask why you chose army, and on a broader scale, why HPSP? Any military background?

3-years are hard to come by. I get the impression that the military likes the 4-year option better. They seem to only give the 3-year option if they don't fill their quota for that grad-year with 4-years; and they seems to be filling their quotas lately. You could try applying for the three year, I am not sure when you should start going through the application process (it is long) for a 3-year (obviously during D1, but possibly a little before). To make a long story short: I don't think they reserve 3-year scholarships, it seems to be overflow.

I chose HPSP partly for the money, and partly to serve. I am a non-trad student who is paying out of state fees. I didn't feel comfortable with 200 to 300K in debt. I also like the idea of serving, and the option of doing a residency if I wanted to.

I chose the Army, because the Air Force scholarships were all taken before I contacted a recruiter. I didn't care which branch, but my wife liked the Air Force uniforms better.
I personally have no experience with the military, but I know people who have done HPSP for psychology, and dentistry and they have been very happy with their experience. Also, whenever I asked a practicing dentist about it they all thought it was a great idea (they all hated loans).

My advice: If you have strong feeling against being deployed then I would not apply for HPSP. There is a good chance you will be deployed, no matter what your recruiter told you.

***Take with grain of salt. Go on the Military Dentistry portion of SDN for better info.

Last edited: