HPSP and student loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgporter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for the experts. I was recently accepted at UVa. I want to be a military doctor so I plan on doing the HPSP program. It is unlikely that the stipend will be enough for myself and my wife. While she will probably work the first year, if she gets pregnant she wants to stay home. So my question is this: is it possible to still get federal loans if you do HPSP? If not, what other options can I explore? Any info/advice you can send my way would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by rgporter
I So my question is this: is it possible to still get federal loans if you do HPSP?

yes. you are eligible for student aid just like everyone else. i took out staffords to cover living expenses while in school-- i think most HPSPers do.

And Just Think of how much Mad Dog, Ripple, and Thunderbird Homonculus could buy with those! No more collectin' cans for him!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by kungfufishing
And Just Think of how much Mad Dog, Ripple, and Thunderbird Homonculus could buy with those! No more collectin' cans for him!

you know how many bricks of mad dog an 8k stafford will buy? :cool:

you just concentrate on not killing anyone (else) on this month's rotation. at least i can blame alcohol for my mistakes-- what's yours? :p

back to the neurotic ER forum with you!

Thanks, that removes a lot of the financial pressure I was feeling.