HPSP and Taxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jim85213

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be my first year doing taxes with military income. Any advice or deductions I should know of as a Navy HPSP student? Also, what's the deal with W-2's from the Navy? Do they send them in the mail or do I need to get them online somewhere?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you claim the income. I got nailed 2 yrs after the fact when the Navy sent in a W2, but I never got one. It took a lot of work to undo, but eventually I got my money back after I refiled.

I don't recall ever getting a W2 in the mail. You can get them online on mypay.dfas.mil, but I think this is only available when you are AD not IRR.
I ended up calling some number to get a W2 sent to me.

Good Luck.

This will be my first year doing taxes with military income. Any advice or deductions I should know of as a Navy HPSP student? Also, what's the deal with W-2's from the Navy? Do they send them in the mail or do I need to get them online somewhere?

Thanks.

I thought the military will automatically deduct federal taxes from all your pay (bonuses included).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they tax the stipend or is it tax-free like a BHA? I was kind of under the impression it would be treated the same, but i haven't read the contract yet...

Do they tax the stipend or is it tax-free like a BHA? I was kind of under the impression it would be treated the same, but i haven't read the contract yet...

This is form NAVMED student handbook: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...VMEDMPTE 1520.1B STUDENT PROGRAM HANDBOOK.pdf

2-5. Taxation of benefits.
1. Stipends are taxable. The amount of Federal tax withheld is based on number of exemptions claimes on Employee's Withholding Certificate (form W-4) submitted at the time of entrance into the program and placed in the student's service record. If no W-4 is received, the stipend is taxed at the rate of single individual with no dependents...

2. State Tax is currently withheld from stipend checks...